ad: ProAudio-1

What is BERU?

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by WV4H, Mar 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WV4H

WV4H Ham Member QRZ Page

On 15m CW right now I'm hearing several VE stations calling CQ BERU <call sign>. I cannot find anything related to BERU in the March Contest Corral nor in the March Special Events page in QST. Anyone know what this is?

Clayton WV4H

2. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

I find it hard to believe you actually searched... but here ya go: BERU

And here: Contest Calendar

Dave
    W7UUU

3. WV4H

WV4H Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, I did search. I pored over my printed Contest Corral and saw the RSGB Commonwealth Contest,but the letters BERU were not there. I worked a VE3 who gave RST + serial #, so I figured it was that contest, but he didn't include BERU in his CQ. Than I heard a VE7 calling CQ BERU and wondered what it was. One thing that threw me off course was I worked a VE3 calling CQ BERU and he gave me a 599 _without_ the serial #, so I then assumed it wasn't the RSGB contest and and began searching for it, first in the Contest Corral. I also looked carefully through the March QST Special Event list and found nothing with BERU, so then I posted my question. Now, thanks to your link, I see that it means British Empire Radio Union. In all my years of ham operating I have never heard or seen BERU, ever. It's completely new to me. Thanks for the links.

Clayton WV4H

4. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

You're certainly welcome. But it's SUCH an easy search - just try it so you can see - maybe it's the keywords you're using?

Type "BERU CW Radio" into Google. The contest is the entire PAGE of hit results. Same with Bing. Same with Yahoo.

Good luck - not hearing much new here but it's still early.

Dave

5. YO4PX

YO4PX Ham Member QRZ Page

British Empire Radio Union.

6. G4DRS

G4DRS Ham Member QRZ Page

Great Fun!

An opportunity to work stations in far-flung places around the world that I never normally hear.

7. K7KBN

K7KBN Ham Member QRZ Page

Beru is Luke Skywalker's aunt's name.

8. VE3LDJ

VE3LDJ Ham Member QRZ Page

it's BEER, Eh?

KA3CZY likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.