ad: CQMM-1

Well-known DXpeditioner Baldur Drobnica DJ6SI arrested in Greece for "espionage"

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by YO4PX, Jun 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. EU1AA

EU1AA Ham Member QRZ Page

This is absurd! A citizen of the European Union is going to a country outside the European Union. What to steal military secrets to the Greitsii? Only sirtaki?

2. KJ4KKI

KJ4KKI Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the info about AMTRAK. I signed up and downloaded a card. The Florida info is handy also as it has scanner info. Of course, the FCC ruling allows out of band receive in transceivers, but it is always handy to have something local police will easily understand. The exclusion "fine print" sections of laws are not always thoroughly known, until police have a reason to dig deeper...usually at your inconvenience or expense.

3. W8OKX

W8OKX Ham Member QRZ Page

Somewhere in this thread I read he's thinking of complaining to Amnesty International. From my observations, AI has been friendly to terrorists and good guys alike. A very "morally neutral" organization indeed. In a similar situation, they'd be the last organization to which I'd appeal. I guess the best cure here is the preventive one: An up-to-date and accurate VISA and thorough contact information for the home country's Office of the Consulate. My prayers and best wishes are with this fellow.

4. KE7RIP

KE7RIP Ham Member QRZ Page

Money. Lots of it.
    And where do they get the money to go on yearly DXpeditions. I am sure they have families that would like to go on vacations to a popular entertainment spot rather then some island in the middle of the ocean. That must cost them around $11,000 on flights, food, transport, power, visa's, & bribes[not really].

5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

My speculation is that Baldur is a widower and this is what makes his days. When he gives me a new one it makes my day!

Chip W1YW

6. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

it is always handy to have something local police will easily understand

Railfans and "plane-spotters" often use scanner receivers to monitor train movements and airport operations. Rainfans often "chase" their subjects and the mobile radio helps to plan their stops and routes.

But, when either gets hassled by authorities for taking photos, occassionally they are also scrutinized for being in possession of the radio.

On railfan forums there are occassionally technical questions posed about setting up or optimizing a scanner / antenna. Many railfans are also hams and often ID themselves and try to help out with answers.

As post 9-11 railfan hassling increased, and the FL scanner law was passed with a clear exemption for amateur radio and the press, many avid railfans saw that having a FCC Amateur license would perhaps provide them some extra legal protection, and they were easily recruited to study for and pass their ham tickets.

The new railfan-hams soon realized that there were added benefits of having at least a 2m mobile xcvr or HT with them on railfan excusions, to provide faster, more convieient, more reliable communications with other railfan-hams (or helpful non-railfan hams ;-)

Not to mention that signal reception with a ham rig / gain antenna can be made much better then with a scanner even up on 160 Mhz! (or on the air-band)

BUT --- more importantly to this thread,

The CEPT agreement, of which both Germany and Greece are participants, is available from a link on the ARRL web site. When ever I have traveled in Europe with my portable rigs and operated under CEPT, per the rules, I carry my FCC ticket and that documentation, NOT just the English copy either; I make sure I have the German and French translations as well!

Maybe they should now add Greek to that list? ( a few more languages might be even better)

7. HS0ZIB

HS0ZIB Guest

Greece has always been rather touchy about the use of radio equipment, scanners and foreigners doing 'strange things'. Hence the plane-spotters arrest some years ago. Don't forget that it is only a few decades ago that Greece was a military regime.

In Baldur's case, I suspect that it was simply the actions of the local ignorant police on Kos, who would not know one end of a an amateur radio licence from another, and for whom it made a change from arresting drunken tourists... Once the case travelled up the judicial system and reached someone with more than 10 brain cells, the 'penny dropped' and furious back-peddling was put in place to save face and embarrassment - the first being to allow Baldur to leave the country, (which would not have occurred if there were any real case or suspicion against him that he was engaged in spying activities).

But it's a reminder to all of us that we should not take for granted that our amateur radio licence and radio activities will not rouse suspicions in foreign parts. When I operate in XZ land, I carry my licence at all times, but it would certainly not surprise me if I were arrested by ignorant police or military.

Simon
    HS0ZIB - XZ1K - G6JFY

8. N7PLC

N7PLC Ham Member QRZ Page

Locked up abroad

Cant wait to see this on TV..... Locked up abroad! Just kidding!... best of luck to this Ham.

9. W1QT

W1QT Guest

Baldur we suport you and wish you well. Each time you and your group has set up on many rare DX grounds it has always been for the benifit of thousands of Amatuer radio operators in every part of the Globe. WE hope for you a speedy return to the safety of your home and will C-U agn my friend.

10. YO4PX

YO4PX Ham Member QRZ Page

On the Greek website Radiofono was published on June 2nd an encouraging text, shedding light on the legal aspects and presenting the position of RAAG, the Radio Amateur Association of Greece, expressed in an official statement.
    The text and the entire history of the case can be read in Romanian translation on my website at http://yo4px.blogspot.com
    I worked Baldur almost from all his DX activities since 1980, when I finally obtained my licence after 17 years of struggle with the Romanian communist authorities.
    A fabulous operator, who offered so much joy to the Deserving! For 26 years we were members of the same CW club. I am deeply sorry that at his age he is exposed to such a humiliation from some ignorant policemen and prosecutors, and where? in Greece, the ancient cradle of democracy.
    Francisc, YO4PX

11. AJ4CU

AJ4CU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

WHAT exactly does "Surely one could buy any information from such people." mean? The world owes a greal deal to the Greeks (I am a Greek) and I take offence at this moronic statement!!!!

12. 9A7PJT

9A7PJT Ham Member QRZ Page

13. M0WAO

M0WAO Ham Member QRZ Page

Not sure what's going on but Greece is a full member of the EU and CEPT member state since 1959...

Since Mr. Baldur is from Germany what is a CEPT member state too a good lawyer will kick some ass in no time.

May be time to close the € tab...

14. KW0U

KW0U Ham Member QRZ Page

Right now some Greeks have strong feelings against Germans. Apparently they believe that, to stabilize the Euro, Germany is pushing their economy to the brink. Not taking sides, just repeating what I've read in the news.... SV is a beautiful country, been there several times and enjoyed the sights, the wonderful food, and the genuine Greek hospitality. Hope this was just an aberration.

15. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.