ad: CQMM-1

Weather & Sunspot Cycle 24. Heralding a New Maunder Minimum & Ice-Age?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by GM4BRB, Aug 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. W8YG

W8YG Ham Member QRZ Page

Phooey!!

Just my luck..I retire buy a room full of ham radio equipment. Put up antennas. Better hold off on that 60 foot tower. EEK!!! and then dog gone sun decides to take an 11 year solar holiday.
    Mini ice age , higher fuel costs ,selling out and buying wind machine and a good wood stove or even better , building a home below the frost line...

2. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Nope. WRONG logic. The weaker the solar activity, and the fewer the number of sunspots, the greater the need for that tower (better make that 150 feet) and an even better antenna!

Besides, I'd rather freeze my butt off than toast my tuschie.:D

3. W8ATA

W8ATA Ham Member QRZ Page

If you look back to page one of this thread and the post that started it, you will see from opening links that the article referred to is not a scientific report but an opinion letter to the editor of Belfast Telegraph by a non-scientist. It's just an opinion article with many quotes from the Armagh Observatory full report taken out of context to support the writer's opinion. In fact further current reports from Armagh indicate that we are in a 30 year still upward trend of the Earth warming. Also "climate change" and "global warming" are two different phenomina and do not mean the same thing. The Earth has under gone many climate changes across the ages and will continue to do so. And yes we are probably in an inter-glacial period. But the evidence for global warming in there and it comes from a vast pool of scientists who are not following the money trail in their research. As my close ham buddy who is an astro-physicist at the university level says, "If that were true he would have found out long ago that there would be easier ways to make a living like going into politics".

The Earth could not survive as we know it without a certain level of greenhouse gases to trap the heat of the sun. The natural forces of nature have maintained that delicate balance with volcanic activity and other natural sources. It seems clear to me that we are now and have since the industrial revolution been adding to those gases. We are getting a wake-up call and we are beginning to listen to it. If we continue with the two biggest contributors of greenhouse gases, the coal burning power plants and vehicles that are powered by hydrocarbons, we will be in deep trouble. But we are hearing that call and beginning to do something about it.

The sky is not falling and sunspots will return and perhaps before we expect them. In the meantime enjoy the low bands.

My greatest concern remains not sunspots or the lack there of, but what kind of an Earth will I leave for my little grandchildren.

73 and peace,
    Russ

4. W0XR

W0XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Guys & Gals
    After reading 11 pages of comments, speculations and possible statements of fact, I have come to this conclusion:

"Nobody doesn't know nothing about anything".

73-----Jack

5. G8ADD

G8ADD Ham Member QRZ Page

I just made the mistake of trying to analyse that sentence.

My head hurts!

Brian G8ADD

6. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

I collect batteries from the neighborhood telling them I'll recycle, but I actually throw them in with the food scrap trash.

7. KC0ZIX

KC0ZIX Ham Member QRZ Page

Well Said (Now cool it Gore!)

Very well put Mr. Keith.

8. W3CSR

W3CSR Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually, while there is a belief amongst some people that "fossil fuels" come from decayed planbt matter, there is a better explanation of where our fuel resources originate. Many scientists believe that hydrocarbon fuels such as oil and gas actually originate with the heat and complex chemical reactions that go on deep within the earth. The same processes that lead to volcanos and movement of minerals throughout the earth's crust and sub-structure also lead to formation of hydrocarbon fuels which become deposited near the surface of the earth. This is also, by the way, the reason we will never "run out" of oil and gas.

9. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

So right you are. That's why I earlier said (#71):

The Sky is falling... the Sky is falling! First it was the prediction of global cooling in the 70's, now of global warming in the 2000's. What to do... what to do?

And as always, look to the global warming or "climate change" scientists' funding sources when their prominent politicos prognosticate. Follow the money -- follow the agenda.

And, let's see how many can spell, "take" with "grain" and "salt"...

10. CT2JUT

CT2JUT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I´m not a scientist, neither have enough experience to post a relevent comment regarding this subject.

In my common sense opinion, i could say these can be "man made" news, like those seen on daily newspapers to sell out...

Science can be correct or even not, all i know is that nature has no commitments!

But as said, i´m a suspect regarding this incoming solar cycle, as it´ll be my first one!

Let´s pray and hope that things stay the way they should be! :)

73 from Lisbon,

Miguel

11. K8MCN

K8MCN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

But you have to admit

But you have to admit, that if Al Gore had not invented the INTERNET you wouldn't be reading this, or was that global warming he invented??? so confusing...................

12. W4UZI

W4UZI Ham Member QRZ Page

huh?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this means that recent cooling trends are being caused by global warming? Yes? :rolleyes:

13. N9EJS

N9EJS Ham Member QRZ Page

14. K3ACE

K3ACE Guest

And if he had become President in 2000, he never would have made his movie and global warming would not even be a topic of conversation.

15. N2RJ

N2RJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, this is fantasy thrown about by the people who want to drive 60 miles to work @7MPG.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.