ad: UR5CDX-1

WB2ITX /W1AW EVENT [[Cancelled]]

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W1YW, May 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG][​IMG]

The ARRL Event featuring 'Howard on the Air' has been reported to be cancelled on the arrl.org website.

The reason? No one wants Howard to be accused of doing it for 'pecuniary interest'.

Obviously Howard wants to say 'hello' from the flagship W1AW station...but by advertising it beforehand, some feel it would be construed as an event by which Howard would 'profit'. Sounds silly to me, but that's the concern.

Kind of a crazy world when this interpretation goes down, but the ARRL is citing reasonable caution in not invoking the 'pecuniary interest' issue.

Curiously, if there was NO announcement, Howard can chew the rag all he wants w/o that interpretation.

If and when YOU hear Howard on W1AW, post on the DX cluster:)

NL7W likes this.
  2. KA2IRQ

KA2IRQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I guess rules are rules. If we want the rules followed and enforced more often, we need to abide by them.

Fear not, when W1AW pops up on the air, the DX clusters are all over it!

W1YW likes this.
  3. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Chip, crazy world is right. :(

Potential violations of 97.113 have come to the forefront for many hams lately in regard to topics like the recently submitted and highly controversial FCC RM-11831.

That RM seems at least partially aimed at OTA activities using wideband digital modes on HF that some accuse often violate the "pecuniary interest" rule such as during the passing of email traffic via amateur radio but which are also a prime focus as a service for EMCOMM.

My speculation is the abundance of caution regarding Howard's use of W1AW may stem from or is amplified by deliberations on this RM as the ARRL has apparently not yet submitted any official comment on it.

Hope WB2ITX spontaneously gets OTA to chat some time anyway. I am sure the pile-up will grow quickly without any pre-promotion.

73, John, WØPV

Last edited: May 4, 2019
    W1YW likes this.
  4. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Howard, if not already informed, should be made aware of options like Remote Ham Radio.

He could get OTA when ever, from where ever, and do some casual operating using his own call sign.

Still time to make some contacts in the New England QSO Party. W1AW is in full swing, sounds like the multiop crew from CARA again.

Last edited: May 5, 2019
  5. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

There's already a 6-page thread on this same topic

https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/arrl-avoids-97-113-violation.656872/

Dave
    W7UUU

K4AGO likes this.
  6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

OK...but not 'already'....

If you had kindly looked at the timeline, you would see that I posted it (OP)long before that: I am not sure what you are driving at Dave.

If you guys don't want news posted in a timely manner, then please tell us what you want. Sincerely. This is the second time I have posted a news story (recently) and then told that there 's another thread--which was posted later.

Also, when I post a news story, it is 'held for moderation'. What's that all about? I don't seem to recall posting a nasty story, for example.

Please advise.

Chip W1YW

7. K4FMH

K4FMH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Folks, as the League's press release and my blog post stated, it was the ARRL attorneys who gave Howard this opinion. It blind-sided both of us. But, the ICQ Podcast would certainly not want to put the W1AW license at risk of some penalty by the FCC. Abundance of caution is the phrase that Howard used. We are disappointed but concur with his decision.
    http://k4fmh.com/2019/05/03/bummer-work-howard-event-canceled/

W1YW likes this.
  8. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Perhaps the other threads are more interesting

9. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

For some of us, W1AW is not DX......................... YAWN

10. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Before I started that thread in the other forum, I checked and did not see any other threads on that topic anywhere else, including here.

I am not sure but sometimes seems to be some time delay of several hours or more when posting new threads to this "News" forum, that is not present in the other forums.

Last edited: May 5, 2019
  11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

That's because they held it up as 'awaiting moderation'. Whatever that means....

There is no way YOU could know, because only the moderators saw the submission, until they cleared it.

It makes sense that you would pose the discussion after my OP (because the moderators hadn't cleared it yet), but it makes NO sense that my OP should be trivialized because of a later thread so posted.

The moderator(s) certainly knew I had posted the OP... first.

I would like to know exactly which news story I have posted before that requires this 'moderation' filter.

Honestly--do you see it as needed here?

It only created confusion.

Moderators: Its OK if you NEED moderation, but not OK to pretend something wasn't previously submitted.

MO. Yours may differ.

In general, I am of the opinion the moderators are doing a fine job.

Chip W1YW

12. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

13. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

K4AGO likes this.
  14. W7UUU

Chip - some forums you can't just start any old thread in. "Amateur Radio News" is one of them. The initial post, no matter who the poster (other than a moderator or admin), or the topic, is held for review before being made public. Generally speaking, "Amateur Radio News" initial posts are vetted by QRZ management, not usually by "normal moderators" (although we could - but usually don't). But sometimes that can take a day or two before QRZ management get to it.

The reason this is done is to keep spammers, cranks, commercial interests, etc. from just putting something in "Amateur Radio News" to sell a product, post a gripe, etc.

So there ya go - that's what "awaiting moderation" means.

Dave
    W7UUU

K4AGO and ND6M like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.