ad: Alphaant-1

Washington Island's Ham Radio Treasure

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Sep 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
  1. K8ZBQ

K8ZBQ Ham Member QRZ Page

good lord...

I think all the radio and equipment manufacturers should build a museum. Lord knows he's lined their pockets for the last 70 years.

2. W6SDM

W6SDM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow is an understatement. There are enough boat anchors there to tie down the Queen Mary and the USS Nimitz both! What an amazing collection.

3. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I got most of that, except for all the Collins and high end equipment. Wish I had a giant room like that to display mine in.

4. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Ham Member QRZ Page

A number of us have been trying, for years, to persuade the people running the ARRL to improve the group's representation of the vintage part of the hobby, and of course, the activity of AM Phone as it exists today as well as back then.

Seems to me the League is among the institutions with the best resources and stability to house and display such a fine collection.

Rocker Joe Walsh, WB6ACU, kicked off such a development a few years ago with a very generous monetary donation as well as with some equipment he helped facilitate to Newington. Walsh, an active AMer, might be recruited to again nudge the folks in Connecticut to consider a symbolic and concrete upgrade in visibility for our part of the hobby.

http://www.arrl.org/vintage-station-qrv-at-w1aw

5. W1QT

W1QT Ham Member QRZ Page

I have QSO,ed with George a few times and boy it would be nice to get a hold of an acerage with a large majestic building to carry on Georges collection. I would have the display copied just as George has it now every wall,bench,operating position and maintained just as George has,full operational, includeing guest house,s,antenna farm, etc. A working museum as such that is as great as history has to offer. George did not just build a radio shack. George built every amatuers dream of putting one of every rig known to man into an operating position and in working order.
    Just a humble gentleman all the way. George is My Marconi here and now.
    George well deserve,s the reward of best of true dedication to Amatuer radio whole heartedly. Good article Fred,...thats the way, thanks.

6. K9ZW

K9ZW QRZ Lifetime Member #262 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Great article Fred - understand you were in the shack when I was speaking to George on 160m

It would be a legacy worthy of our hobby if a working collection of historic radios could be created.

While a museum working collection takes care of the "physical stuff" the real Ham Radio Treasure on Washington Island is a very knowledgeable and willing to share that knowledge George W9EVT!

Greengate Farm and the W9EVT Shack is a worthy trip for any Radio Amateur to not only see & operate the collection, but to hear George's advice and be amazed as he works a net, talks to you and handles other shack issues at the same time!

All best and 73

Steve
    K9ZW

7. K4CME

K4CME Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow! On August 8th I made contact with George. He gave me a report of 30 over barefoot. I was astonished. He really has an awesome station.

8. W8GRI

W8GRI Ham Member QRZ Page

All I can say is "Holy Wa!".... I live not too far away and it will be worth my time to see this! I need a vacation!

73 Rod KB8DNS

9. NT2C

NT2C Ham Member QRZ Page

I think it would be terribly sad to see all that wonderful equipment sitting in a museum somewhere and gathering dust, never to be used on the air again.

10. VA7GO

VA7GO Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you Fred for passing the word about W9EVT and his wonderful station. I have had the pleasure of chatting with George on almost a daily basis for some time and I have always been impressed with I his ability to hear my QRP station and his generosity in offering a reley when needed. As others have said, George is a true exemplary gentlemen in the ham radio community. My thanks to him, you and QRZ for spreading the word on the best of ham radio. grant / va7go/p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.