ad: Radclub22-1

Washington Island's Ham Radio Treasure

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Sep 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K9ZW

K9ZW QRZ Lifetime Member #262 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Great article Fred - understand you were in the shack when I was speaking to George on 160m

It would be a legacy worthy of our hobby if a working collection of historic radios could be created.

While a museum working collection takes care of the "physical stuff" the real Ham Radio Treasure on Washington Island is a very knowledgeable and willing to share that knowledge George W9EVT!

Greengate Farm and the W9EVT Shack is a worthy trip for any Radio Amateur to not only see & operate the collection, but to hear George's advice and be amazed as he works a net, talks to you and handles other shack issues at the same time!

All best and 73

Steve
    K9ZW

2. K4CME

K4CME Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow! On August 8th I made contact with George. He gave me a report of 30 over barefoot. I was astonished. He really has an awesome station.

3. W8GRI

W8GRI Ham Member QRZ Page

All I can say is "Holy Wa!".... I live not too far away and it will be worth my time to see this! I need a vacation!

73 Rod KB8DNS

4. NT2C

NT2C Ham Member QRZ Page

I think it would be terribly sad to see all that wonderful equipment sitting in a museum somewhere and gathering dust, never to be used on the air again.

5. VA7GO

VA7GO Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you Fred for passing the word about W9EVT and his wonderful station. I have had the pleasure of chatting with George on almost a daily basis for some time and I have always been impressed with I his ability to hear my QRP station and his generosity in offering a reley when needed. As others have said, George is a true exemplary gentlemen in the ham radio community. My thanks to him, you and QRZ for spreading the word on the best of ham radio. grant / va7go/p

6. AB9WO

AB9WO Guest

George is a great guy and I have stayed there several times with my wife and daughter.
    His wife is very gracious as well and we always enjoyed our times there. Washington Island
    itself is a treasure, the Ferry ride sort of isolates it from the rest of Door County and makes
    it a very unique place. Visit if you can! Cheers... Dale AB9WO

7. N1TKO

N1TKO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've worked George a few times. A real gentleman and his collection of gear is truly mind boggling. Visiting his place for a "Ham Vacation" is definitely on my Bucket List!

8. K9KJM

K9KJM Ham Member QRZ Page

George does have a true world class collection of HF gear. AND he is still collecting! George stops by my place every now and then looking for old equipment racks to put some of that old gear in.
    Every ham that gets to this area should make a visit to George's place a must.

9. ZL1FZ

ZL1FZ Ham Member QRZ Page

My old timer I supported now silent key 2011 ZL3FK LES HEPBURN LICENCE 1929 AGE 12 quite a record,active to the end. CLIVE ZL1FZ.

10. K9TTU

K9TTU Ham Member QRZ Page

His station looks like a great location for Ham Nation episode.

11. KD2AKG

KD2AKG Ham Member QRZ Page

It would be really difficult to get a set up that extensive collection in a stand-alone museum. WeAr need to start lobbying the ARRL or some other major science/technology museum to consider housing this collection. I agree that putting this equipment in a static display would be an injustice. Perhaps the organization that takes over the collection could keep many of the pieces in operation, and allow visitors to use it (for a small donation).

12. N9HF

N9HF Ham Member QRZ Page

CHEEZE AND CRACKERS!!! What a place! I need to get back home to the land of brats and Blatz and have a look at Georges set up.

Dave N9HF
    Ormond Beach, Floriduh

13. W2RS

W2RS Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't do much SSB operating, but I had the pleasure of working George on 50 MHz SSB in 2008. A real gentleman. Long may he continue.

73, Ray W2RS

14. W4VFZ

W4VFZ Ham Member QRZ Page

The Ultimate Amateur Radio "Ham"

I just viewed this post (forwarded by a fellow ham), and was BLOWN AWAY! As a ham (W4VFZ) myself for over half a century, (and former engineer at HeathKit and later at Rockwell/Collins), I could identify much of the equipment in George's Collection. It is without a doubt the most "historically valuable" collection of ham radio equipment anywhere!

Ham radio has changed so much during our lifetimes, from the warm glow of an 811A warming up and the sound of -.-. --.- Morse Code in the background, to today's digital modes and satellite communications. Hams like George have contributed so much to ham radio, not only in technological advancements, but in developing better ways of providing emergency communications during some of the disasters in recent years.

But most of all, he has preserved a beautiful history of all the equipment used, almost for "before dirt" to today. I truly hope that resources become available to preserve his invaluable work.

Alton W4VFZ

15. W8WTS

W8WTS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

W9EVT is on my vacation schedule!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.