ad: CQMM-1

Walt Fair, Sr., K5PEV

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by W5ALT, Jan 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. W5ALT

W5ALT Ham Member QRZ Page

My father, K5PEV, passed away during the night of Jan 19th after a prolonged battle with Parkinson's disease and a short hospital stay. Dad was 91 years old, a ham for more than 70 years and an avid CW operator and traffic handler, although he was unable to get on the air for the last few years due to physical limitations.

Dad was originally licensed as a teenager in Ohio as W8KLH and received K5PEV on moving to Houston in 1957. He was active in the now defunct Houston Amateur Radio Club, loved teaching Novice classes, going to hamfests and Field Day, as well as trying new operating modes. He was active in Navy Mars as N0UAM and later NNN0UAM for many years and among his prized possessions were various certificates of commendation for service to Mars and his telegraph proficiency, remarkable considering that he was very nearly deaf due to a childhood disease.

Dad retired from research in the oil well logging industry many years ago and kept busy with his radios, metal detecting and treasure hunting. He and my mother accompanied each other everywhere, whether it was shopping, or hamfests, until she passed away in 1999. Since then he didn't see much point to carrying on alone.

For those who knew him, he will be sorely missed, but I'm sure he's happy as a lark greeting the love of his life again.

2. KE5FRF

KE5FRF Ham Member QRZ Page

My condolensces, Walt. Will keep your family in my prayers.

3. K0HWY

K0HWY Ham Member QRZ Page

Same here Walt. My prayers are with you as you deal with your loss. Sounds like your father led quite a life. [​IMG]

4. N5RLR

N5RLR Ham Member QRZ Page

My deepest sympathy and condolences, Walt.  It's heartbreaking to lose a parent, no matter what age he/she is [or you are].

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:darkorange'>†</span></span>

5. KF0RT

KF0RT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Very sorry to hear it, Walt. My thoughts are with you.

73, Rob

6. KB3LIX/SK2023

KB3LIX/SK2023 Ham Member QRZ Page

Walt,
    Sorry to hear about your loss.

bill

7. WA2ZDY

WA2ZDY Guest

My thoughts are with you and yours Walt in this time of sorrow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.