ad: elecraft

W7NI SK

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by W1BR, Jan 30, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W1BR

W1BR Ham Member QRZ Page

Reported on Tek IO group:

Stanley A. Griffiths, Dec 19, 1938 - Jan 29, 2020

Stan was a well-known collector of Tektronix oscilloscopes, having about 1,400 at one time. In fact, he even wrote a book on the selection and maintenance of classic oscilloscopes which he self-published: Oscilloscopes : Selecting and Restoring a Classic by Stan Griffiths (1992, Hardcover) Griffiths, Stanley A. Oscilloscopes : Selecting and Restoring a Classic. Beaverton, OR: Stan Griffiths W7NI, 1992. Book, Paperback. ISBN-10: 0963307150, ISBN-13: 9780963307156, L. of C. Card #: 92-029035 Stan was the co-founder with Ed Sinclair of vintageTEK, the museum of vintage Tektronix products and history now located at 13489 SW Karl Braun Dr., Beaverton, in the old ceramics building on the Tektronix campus.

Stan was born to Arthur and Margaret Griffiths December 19, 1938, in Portland, raised in Lake Oswego, OR, and attended Lake Oswego High School, class of 1954.

Left: A picture at about age 16 in Lake Oswego:
    Stan started at Tektronix in 1960.

Stan’s picture, ca 1960, in the May 1970 Tektronix Photo Album:

This photo, from which all of vintageTEK’s photos of Tek employees come from, is believed to be Stan.

He collected photo albums, catalogs, parts, parts documentation, an impressive oscilloscope collection, his ham (W7NI) equipment, and his beloved restored T-Bird.

Phil Crosby points out that Stan also loved origami which he learned from Mr. Oya of Sony-Tek. Phil adds, “Stan was a fundamentally kind and decent person. I will miss him.”

Stan and Pat used to take their beautifully restored Thunderbird convertible out for a ride on special occasions.
    Stan left Beaverton as a calibration and repair technician for the Tektronix Boston Field Office. In 1966 he co-started an independent mobile calibration lab in Los Angeles. He later returned to Tektronix and worked out of New Hampshire in 1970.

In December 1973, Stan was working in Bldg 50 [Technical Center (45.49906 -122.82317)] as Service Support (probably on the first floor).

In May 1978, Stan was still in Service Support, but in Bldg 58 [(45.4995 -122.82488]

In Nov 1979, Stan was listed in TM500 Marketing in Bldg 94 [Walker Road Industrial Park east (45.5267 -122.8694)] (a short drive for him).

In March 1986 and July 1987, Stan was in the Portland Field Office (10220 SW Nimbus Dr Suite K-4 [45.44642 -122.78938])

In August 1988 he was listed in the MRI Western Region-Portland Field Office, same location, and different name. MRI = Microwave and RF Instruments Division.

Stan retired in 1989.

After retirement, Stan started a web site with very helpful information about Tektronix products. His wife and another recent photo were also on the website. The website has been discontinued, but this is the personal part from the web site:

I had a long and successful career with Tektronix beginning in 1960 and ending in 1989. There was a 3 year break in it from 1966 to 1970 during which time I was one of the founders of a service company in Los Angeles, CA that specialized in servicing only Tektronix instruments. At Tektronix, I was involved in the checkout of new instruments on the production line or the servicing of field returns from 1960 through 1966. My later jobs at Tektronix included Sales Engineer in the Boston, MA area and later, first level management in Service Support where service plans for new instruments being introduced by Tektronix were developed. I also sold microwave Spectrum Analyzers for Tektronix in the Pacific Northwest from 1980 until my retirement from Tektronix in 1989. About 1985, I had the opportunity to acquire about a dozen old tube-type Tek scopes from a local university. I fixed some for the university and they gave me the rest as payment. I found I really enjoyed fixing up the old scopes that I knew and remembered so well from my previous jobs at Tek, and decided I would start a small collection of classic Tektronix scopes and plugins. Since that time, my collection has gone completely out of control and now, in 1998, numbers over 500 instruments, most of them older than 1970. About 60 of them are restored to museum condition. About 200 of them are planned restorations, and the rest are either spares, which I will fix and sell to other collectors, or parts instruments which will be sacrificed to fix other instruments. I have also amassed a LOT of parts that can be used for the repair and restoration of other instruments. Please see the section of this web site that lists some of the spare parts I have for sale. The long term plan for my collection is to eventually find a location where it can be put on display for public viewing. Guests are welcome to view the collection now which resides in my 7 car garage at my home. You need to call first to verify that I will be available to personally conduct a tour. Stan Griffiths, W7NI 18955 S.W. Blanton Street Aloha, OR 97007-1230 Phone: (503) 649-0837

Portions of the website may be retrieved from: http://web.archive.org/web/20170924050812/http://www.reprise.com/ash/clients2/default.asp

Stan was preceded in death by his wife, Patricia Jean Griffiths , on March 13, 2018. He leaves two daughters, Tricia and Valerie.

Formal obituary to follow.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2020
  2. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

Stanley A. Griffiths, Dec 19, 1938 - Jan 29, 2020

Stan was a well-known collector of Tektronix oscilloscopes, having about 1,400 at one time. In fact, he even wrote a book on the selection and maintenance of classic oscilloscopes which he self-published: Oscilloscopes : Selecting and Restoring a Classic by Stan Griffiths (1992, Hardcover) Griffiths, Stanley A. Oscilloscopes : Selecting and Restoring a Classic. Beaverton, OR: Stan Griffiths W7NI, 1992. Book, Paperback. ISBN-10: 0963307150, ISBN-13: 9780963307156, L. of C. Card #: 92-029035 Stan was the co-founder with Ed Sinclair of vintageTEK, the museum of vintage Tektronix products and history now located at 13489 SW Karl Braun Dr., Beaverton, in the old ceramics building on the Tektronix campus.

Stan was born to Arthur and Margaret Griffiths December 19, 1938, in Portland, raised in Lake Oswego, OR, and attended Lake Oswego High School, class of 1954.

Left: A picture at about age 16 in Lake Oswego:
    Stan started at Tektronix in 1960.

Stan’s picture, ca 1960, in the May 1970 Tektronix Photo Album:

This photo, from which all of vintageTEK’s photos of Tek employees come from, is believed to be Stan.

He collected photo albums, catalogs, parts, parts documentation, an impressive oscilloscope collection, his ham (W7NI) equipment, and his beloved restored T-Bird.

Phil Crosby points out that Stan also loved origami which he learned from Mr. Oya of Sony-Tek. Phil adds, “Stan was a fundamentally kind and decent person. I will miss him.”

Stan and Pat used to take their beautifully restored Thunderbird convertible out for a ride on special occasions.
    Stan left Beaverton as a calibration and repair technician for the Tektronix Boston Field Office. In 1966 he co-started an independent mobile calibration lab in Los Angeles. He later returned to Tektronix and worked out of New Hampshire in 1970.

In December 1973, Stan was working in Bldg 50 [Technical Center (45.49906 -122.82317)] as Service Support (probably on the first floor).

In May 1978, Stan was still in Service Support, but in Bldg 58 [(45.4995 -122.82488]

In Nov 1979, Stan was listed in TM500 Marketing in Bldg 94 [Walker Road Industrial Park east (45.5267 -122.8694)] (a short drive for him).

In March 1986 and July 1987, Stan was in the Portland Field Office (10220 SW Nimbus Dr Suite K-4 [45.44642 -122.78938])

In August 1988 he was listed in the MRI Western Region-Portland Field Office, same location, and different name. MRI = Microwave and RF Instruments Division.

Stan retired in 1989.

After retirement, Stan started a web site with very helpful information about Tektronix products. His wife and another recent photo were also on the website. The website has been discontinued, but this is the personal part from the web site:

I had a long and successful career with Tektronix beginning in 1960 and ending in 1989. There was a 3 year break in it from 1966 to 1970 during which time I was one of the founders of a service company in Los Angeles, CA that specialized in servicing only Tektronix instruments. At Tektronix, I was involved in the checkout of new instruments on the production line or the servicing of field returns from 1960 through 1966. My later jobs at Tektronix included Sales Engineer in the Boston, MA area and later, first level management in Service Support where service plans for new instruments being introduced by Tektronix were developed. I also sold microwave Spectrum Analyzers for Tektronix in the Pacific Northwest from 1980 until my retirement from Tektronix in 1989. About 1985, I had the opportunity to acquire about a dozen old tube-type Tek scopes from a local university. I fixed some for the university and they gave me the rest as payment. I found I really enjoyed fixing up the old scopes that I knew and remembered so well from my previous jobs at Tek, and decided I would start a small collection of classic Tektronix scopes and plugins. Since that time, my collection has gone completely out of control and now, in 1998, numbers over 500 instruments, most of them older than 1970. About 60 of them are restored to museum condition. About 200 of them are planned restorations, and the rest are either spares, which I will fix and sell to other collectors, or parts instruments which will be sacrificed to fix other instruments. I have also amassed a LOT of parts that can be used for the repair and restoration of other instruments. Please see the section of this web site that lists some of the spare parts I have for sale. The long term plan for my collection is to eventually find a location where it can be put on display for public viewing. Guests are welcome to view the collection now which resides in my 7 car garage at my home. You need to call first to verify that I will be available to personally conduct a tour. Stan Griffiths, W7NI 18955 S.W. Blanton Street Aloha, OR 97007-1230 Phone: (503) 649-0837

Portions of the website may be retrieved from: http://web.archive.org/web/20170924050812/http://www.reprise.com/ash/clients2/default.asp

Stan was preceded in death by his wife, Patricia Jean Griffiths , on March 13, 2018. He leaves two daughters, Tricia and Valerie.

Formal obituary to follow.

W1BR likes this.
  3. K1LKP

K1LKP Ham Member QRZ Page

THANK YOU LEE,

THANK YOU PETER,

ARRL-Flag-waving-.jpg
    a1 operators club W7NI.jpg
    ===. A GOD REST HIS SOUL NEW.jpg
    ========== A candle_animation_1_.gif

RESPECTFULLY,

4. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

Stanley A. Griffiths, W7NI SK

Birth Date: Dec 19 1938
    10-10 Number: 05931
    QCWA Number: 25436

SK Stan Griffiths W7NI – Jan 29, 2020
    Posted on February 4, 2020 by Randy Elliott
    Stan was born to Arthur and Margaret Griffiths December 19, 1938, in Portland, raised in Lake Oswego, OR, and attended Lake Oswego High School, class of 1957. Stan was an icon in the ham radio community.

His father was a ham which probably helped Stan get licensed at age 15 as WN7TML in 1953.

In 1955 Stan became a founding member of WVDXC. W7NI.
    At the height of his ham career Stan changed his call to W7NI and had a respectable antenna farm on his Blanton property in Aloha and was able to make ‘modest’ (his word) contacts with his dual 4-1000 amp.

For years Stan and his late wife Pat, KA7UFG, were regulars at northwest ham fests and flea markets.
    He often gave presentations at SEAPAC, WVDXC and other conventions.

Stan was an entrepreneur, cofounding a service company in Los Angeles, founding Antronics of Oregon, and operating an eBay based company for several years.
    He was also an author writing Oscilloscopes : Selecting and Restoring a Classic, 1992. Along with Ed Sinclair he cofounded VintageTEK
    https://vintagetek.org a museum dedicated to preserving Tektronix history.

Stan was predeceased by his wife, Patricia Jean Griffiths, KA7UFG, on March 13, 2018.

He leaves two daughters, Tricia and Valarie.

http://terac.org/?p=1958

5. K7KL

K7KL Ham Member QRZ Page

Stan also had a business in Hillsboro, Oregon, selling tower sections & related materials, from a leased or rented building on NE Lincoln St., if faded memory recalls correctly.
    Stan was a fixture at every hamfest in the area. His towers still dominate the neighborhood in Aloha, OR. We will miss him at the upcoming hamfest & swap meet in Rickreall, OR.
    The Tektronix museum exists in large part due to his tireless efforts, along with the many Tek retirees that keep it running.
    Rest in peace our dear friend.

W1BR likes this.
  6. K1LKP

JIM,

THANK YOU FOR ADDING YOUR WONDERFUL WORDS
    TO THIS TRIBUTE.

RESPECTFULLY,

7. K7KL

K7KL Ham Member QRZ Page

Clarification: Stan's business in Hillsboro was in the 1980's, as we recall.

8. K1LKP

THANK YOU FOR THE CLARIFICATION

RESPECTFULLY,

9. N7TM

N7TM Ham Member QRZ Page

Stan was a kind and generous man. One time he invited me to his place to take a look at my hamfest-purchased 310 scope. I watched him as he replaced some parts and then calibrated the scope. His workshop of parts, scopes, and gear was amazing. He was a great man.