ad: Radclub22-1

W4B First in Flight Centennial Special Event Sta

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W4GRW, Dec 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N5JLW

N5JLW Guest

Thanks NCSEG for putting on the W4B Specual Event. I appreciate all of the hard work involved in not only setting up and operating the station(s) but for all of the behind-the-scenes efforts too.

I worked Keith on 20 meters on the last day of the event and I was glad to have made the contact. I have sent in my QSO info and the $5 fee to cover the certificate expenses too. I was glad to have the opportunity to participate and get into the queue to receive what will surely be a rare certificate.

To all those detractors that seem to have nothing better to do than whine about paying the fee and diminish what these folks have tried to do, leave your rigs turned off, ignore the fee structure and just don't participate. A fewer number of quality and supportive posts here would certainly do more to further the hobby than receiving a myriad of belly-acheing ones.

Jack
    N1JLW

2. Guest

Guest Guest

THANKS JACK I AGREE WITH YOU 110%. your post could not have have said it any BETTER.those guys at the special event station did an EXCELLENT JOB. like i said in my earlier post i was proud to have sent them my $5.00 for a rare and coveted CERTIFICATE. have a great holiday Jack. 73 THOMAS S. WRIGHT N2NZJ

3. VE7IBJ

VE7IBJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have some very nice and one of a kind qsl certificates here that certainly didn't cost me $5usd and they all mean just as much. Like a previous post said, it doesn't cost that much to make and mail a certificate! SASE should be enough for a special event qsl. No doubt they made money on this event. Very unfortunate.

Roy

4. Guest

Guest Guest

I IN ANY CASE BELIEVE THIS EVENT WAS WELL WORTH IT. as i said earlier I would do it again for a very important event like this one. not very many historic events are done as well as this one was. so again happy holidays and good tidings to all. 73 THOMAS S WRIGHT  N2NZJ  [​IMG]  [​IMG]  [​IMG]

5. WY3X

WY3X Ham Member QRZ Page

I was too busy to participate in this wonderful special
    event, but I wish I had been able to make contact with them.

I think that the $5 charge they are asking for is covered under the amateur rules under "pecuniary interest". It is my belief that if it costs them one cent under $5 to produce and send out the certificates, then the HONEST thing to do would be to send a refund along with all the certificates for the difference. It's flat out illegal to fund a club function by charging for QSLs or special event certificates. It would be a different matter entirely if it cost them a small fortune to travel to Kitty Hawk and they were seeking to offset expenses incurred, but I don't believe this is the issue at hand.

On the other side of the coin.... I may have to go to the local swimming pool that was visited by Paris Hilton and run my own $5 per contact "special event station"  [​IMG]  .

KR4WM

6. Guest

Guest Guest

TO ALL CONCERNED HAMS I HAVE IT FROM A DIRECT SOURCE THAT THIS WAS A VERY EXPENSIVE EVENT ON W4B'S PART. they did in fact traveled aprox. 450 miles to the EVENT. it cost well over $5000.00 aprox. amount spent. as well as the time and EFFORT on their part. as well as a lot of extra technical EFFORT and etc. involved.I am most proud to have worked them and gave them my small donation of $5.00 for a certificate that to me is priceless. as you all know this particular event will never HAPPEN AGAIN. MY BEST KUDOS TO THE W4B EVENT TEAM. 73  THOMAS S. WRIGHT N2NZJ

7. K4YBB

K4YBB Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]  [​IMG]  [​IMG]  [​IMG] I would have been very happy to send $5 to W4B for a QSL but since I did not work the Special event station I don't Qualify for the very nice QSL  they went to quite an expense getting printed and then there were the correct size envelopes to mail the QSL"s in and then the necessary stuffing to protect the QSL and I could probably figure several more expenses  that were part of making this Special Event a success. So quit your grumblin and send the $5 for the QSL and you will have a nice piece of wall paper or be super cheap and don't send the $5 and do without a very nice QSL. It's your choice and it is only $5 not like $50 or like the $2000 a plate lunch the mental giant poloticians paid recently. Now that is a total waste of time and money.

8. KC0JEZ

KC0JEZ Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (kr4wm @ Dec. 19 2003,19:33)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I think that the $5 charge they are asking for is covered under the amateur rules under "pecuniary interest". It is my belief that if it costs them one cent under $5 to produce and send out the certificates, then the HONEST thing to do would be to send a refund along with all the certificates for the difference. It's flat out illegal to fund a club function by charging for QSLs or special event certificates.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Hmm. This brings to mind an interesting thought. I know of many clubs that operate a hamfest. For most this is a fundraiser for the club. They try to cover costs and come out with a few bucks for the treasury too. if they're runing a "talk in" on their repeater so out of town hams can get directions to the site..aren't they then using ham radio to generate income?

9. N8BIB

N8BIB Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG] [​IMG] as a person running a special event station from the yankee air museum on memorial day for the past nine years under call W8YAF i have no problem senting the $5.00 fee for the very nice certificate and package.for you the big dxers will sent money for a new country from dxpedition this is one time for history every year i try to help with history on memorial day to remember the hero"s of the past.

FRANK N8BIB/W8YAF

10. Guest

Guest Guest

THANKS FRANK, WELL SAID.PEOPLE DON'T KNOW HOW LUCKY THEY ARE TO HAVE A CLUB OR AN ORGANIZATION TO put together an event of that magnitude.the first thing is PERSONAL SACRIFICE,DEDICATION, AND SERVICE,TIME AND PERSONAL FINANCIAL SACRIFICE,AND of course a lot more. a small donation of $5.00 was well worth it for their package or any other good cause EVENT STATION. So 73 [​IMG]  [​IMG]  [​IMG]  N2NZJ THOMAS S. WRIGHT

11. N7YA

N7YA Ham Member QRZ Page

ok, soooooo.....im generally broke, but im still able to operate, own a rig, a computer...and im about to go get a subway sandwich, somehow, $5 will get lost in all this, i wont even miss it.
    Maybe $5 is a bit steep, i also liked the idea of one poster who mentioned a refund for whatever they dont use...but the logistics of doing that for EVERY single ham who sent money are a bit tough. I figure if someone sends $5 and gets a certificate/qsl/etc, they will receive these things and be happy, and again, the $5 will be lost on it 10 minutes after they put it in the mail.
    Also, if it cost them about $5000 to do this thing, they would need to work, and confirm, at least 1000 stations to break even...with every single one sending five bucks and a request.
    But Im also wondering why it cost that much to do a stateside operation. Every contest i work, and usually confirm, a huge operation from some remote corner of the world for a card, an envelope and a couple of IRC at the most...many times they have to charter boats, secure gear sponsorships leave the families for weeks or months, as well as countless other expenses...all for the hobby. we didnt ask them to go, they wanted to, so they prepared and gathered most of the money together and went, they did it for their own pleasure as well as ours. on occasion, they ask for a donation to offset the cost of putting a huge operation on an island in the middle of a turbulent sea...but again, the donation is optional, usually only a SASE is required...AND, even then, no SASE, it may STILL come back through the buro (however,i encourage SASE, and maybe a a few bucks [​IMG] ).
    What it comes down to, im sure many have worked W4B, most will want a card, and some arent going to be happy about the apparent price of a card...even though they would really like one, it seems a bit steep. hoping someone chokes on it is a bit steep too. if you want a card, you most likely wont miss the five bucks. for the guys of the operation, maybe $3 would look better next time unless i missed something. if theres a legitimate reason for the cost, i will understand, but nevertheless, thanks for recognizing a huge and signifigant event in history, one im particularly interested as an aviation buff. as for the rest of us, its not really that big of a deal.
    The winter will be long, the buffalo are moving on, and in the words of Ten Bears "lets smoke a while" and talk of pleasant things.

And THANK YOU for not mentioning Dubya, Liberals or no-code! holy moly i can use a break from that crap!!

73 and ill catch you guys on the air! Adam, N7YA

12. N7YA

N7YA Ham Member QRZ Page

...i just realized i should apologize for mentioning that crap...we were going along just fine without a word about it....muy lo siento mi amigos!! [​IMG]

73...Adam, N7YA

13. KZ3H

KZ3H Ham Member QRZ Page

For those of you who grip about the cost, five dollars is a mere speck when you consider postage, the time it takes to verify some of your questionable call signs, possible check ins and various other assundry mishaps that people create as "radio operators". I feel that this should be an honor, as opposed to a priveledge to make contacts with people who are trying to make an event a hallmark in history. Please, if the costs offset you so much, keep it to yourself others enjoy this priviledge we share and are willing to support the endeavors of us who have tried to bookmark history. If you made contact we are grateful, and glad we were there for the cause. It was a great time and I met wonderful people - people who if you met them were worth more than five dollars.

14. Guest

Guest Guest

TO KB3HER, WELL SAID AND STATED, MY BEST 73 TO YOU. TOM N2NZJ  [​IMG]  [​IMG]  [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.