ad: MLSons-1

W2T celebrates 90 years for NYC Boy Scout Camp

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB2FMH, Jul 17, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KB2FMH

KB2FMH Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Coming in August, W2T will activate at Ten Mile River Scout Reservation in Narrowsburg NY to celebrate 90 years of Scout Camping.

Ten Mile River (TMR) will celebrate its 90th anniversary this August 5th and 6th with much fanfare. First opened in 1927 thanks to Franklin D. Roosevelt and several other prominent men of the time, 14,000 acres was acquired surreptitiously from local landowners through a plan hatched by FDR to keep the NYC Boy Scouts out of the deal so the owners wouldn’t try to gouge the Boy Scouts.​
    Special Event Operators KB2FMH, KC2EKE and W2EJV will activate W2T for this monumental event, operating right in the thick of the celebration. The goal is to make as many folks aware of the camp as possible through operations on all bands from 10 through 80 meters, conditions permitting. There will be two stations in play throughout the weekend operating Phone and some CW, depending on who is at the radio.

Frequencies will be updated on the QRZ page live and hopefully will be current on the many spotting websites.

Please make it a point to contact us and if you know any Scouts, put them on the air with us. A special certificate and QSL card will be available for all those who are in the log. These shall be sent via Email but if you want a paper card, simply send a SASE to the QSL address listed on QRZ.

We look forward to hearing you all in a few weeks.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2017
    W4ABC, N2RRA, N2YGI and 2 others like this.
  2. K2FI

K2FI Ham Member QRZ Page

Excellent. I went to TMR one summer as a scout. I look forward to working you!

3. K6HMS

K6HMS Ham Member QRZ Page

This is Terrific !! I was a Life Scout and was at TMR in the Summer of '62 at LAKESIDE !!
    Really look forward to working the Special Event Station W2T . Some of the most beautiful country side you will ever find close by to the Delaware River not to mention all the Lakes in that region along the New York / PA border ... Great memories !! Bill Rose K6HMS

4. N2YGI

N2YGI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This is great!
    My son is with Pack 23 and i go camping with them twice a year upstate New York.
    I'll try to work you on 20m!

5. N2RRA

N2RRA Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello James,

We' e spoken in the past, it it's been a while. I applaud your efforts for a great cause.

Was curious what your three stations setup's will consist of on radios and antennas.

6. KB2FMH

Hi Eric,
    We'll be using a Yaesu FT-890 and and an Icom 7000 with a full size G5RV and a Hustler BTV4. Whichever is getting the best results at the time will be operational or, we'll try working both on different bands

7. K2IE

K2IE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The FDR connection is interesting. I've been watching the Ken Burns series on The Roosevelts. He also did much for his fellow polio victims, establishing a treatment center in Warms Springs, GA at his own expense.

8. KB2FMH

Hello any Admins: Can you please repair the broken image links? They were working fine when first posted, What happened? I did not move the file location... Thanks
    James, KB2FMH

9. GENTELMAN19

GENTELMAN19 QRZ Member

greeting From Algeria

10. KB2FMH

Thanks for stopping by.

11. AK7GT

AK7GT Ham Member QRZ Page

First introduced to ham radio in 1961 as a Cub Scout! Been fascinated ever since!

12. KB2FMH

I was Born in '61 Gary! Learned Morse, Semaphore and Wig Wag (Morse with a big two-colored flag) in the Scouts from some antique Hams who hung out with our leaders. Like yourself, it stuck with me. I'm very excited about the Camp SES operation.

J G, KB2FMH

13. KC2RIV

KC2RIV Ham Member QRZ Page

I rember being a scout in 72 got a bunch of my mert bages in just one summer
    lew kc2riv

14. KB2FMH

That's when I began going there Lew, I was 11. It isn't like it was back then; badges come too easy now. I think the counselors lack experience in the badge they work and, they are simply not really interested in ensuring the Scout knows his stuff. Can you believe that for the wilderness survival they let kids take food, matches, sleeping bags and tarps and, you setup within sight of others! When I did it with my patrol we were driven to a remote abandoned camp area and pushed out the back of a ranger's pickup truck. We we allowed a knife, flint & steel and the clothes we had on. We made our shelter from nature, trapped food to cook and eat (providing we made a fire which I could easily do) and were picked up the next day at noon. My SM was retired Army Special Forces so our troop could survive a plane crash in the Andes live like on Gilligan's Island.
    Fun Times there then and it's still a nice place to be.

James, KB2FMH