ad: UR5CDX-1

VK amateurs not getting 5 MHz (60 metre) band

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK3YE, Dec 7, 2020.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. VK3YE

VK3YE Ham Member QRZ Page

NEWS: The possibility of VK amateurs having access to the 5 MHz (60m) band has receded with the ACMA, our communications regulator, refusing an amateur allocation.

The main reason given was interference to other users, including defence, who also use 5 MHz frequencies.

More here: https://www.acma.gov.au/consultatio...-khz-band-amateur-service-consultation-132020

Meanwhile, across the Tasman, New Zealand amateurs did have 60m access but their trial was not renewed. https://www.wia.org.au/newsevents/news/2020/20201023-1/index.php

M1WML likes this.
  2. KO2Q

KO2Q Lifetime Member 562 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

That really stinks. Australia is the only continent I don't have on 60m.

M1WML, AJ6KZ, KG7HVR and 7 others like this.
  3. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I hope that the recently increased interest in military use of HF will not ultimately result in loss of the 60m ham band in other countries.

M1WML, 2E0KLX, AJ6KZ and 5 others like this.
  4. VY1RW

VY1RW Ham Member QRZ Page

What about other amateurs that uses that bands? How are they not going to
    interfere with defence that uses the band?

W8KIC, M1WML, LZ5QD and 4 others like this.
  5. K4KYV

K4KYV Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

How much do the military and governments actually use those frequencies? I occasionally tune in 60m and have never heard any non-amateur traffic. As sparsely populated as VK/ZL is, there should be plenty of HF spectrum space available besides the 60m region, especially considering the dwindling use of international shortwave broadcasting.

When the band was first being proposed, at least in N. America, it was supposed to be a real ham band. It was assumed a done deal; the debate at the time was whether it would be diced up into sub-bands, or if it would be like 160m with full privileges, all classes and all modes across the entire band. The plan was that it would be recognised as a ham band world-wide at the next WARC. Then 9/11 happened, and suddenly those frequencies became too valuable to release for amateur use.

W8KIC, K2CMC, M1WML and 10 others like this.
  6. SA1CKE

SA1CKE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If anything the military should be able to use the amateur radio traffic as a cloak for their traffic as well as a help to figure out current propagation. Just listen to FT8 and the locator to see how the propagation is without the need to reveal themselves.

M1WML likes this.
  7. SA1CKE

SA1CKE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There's some ALE traffic using T2FD antennas arranged for local propagation and not DX. But it may vary. I wouldn't be surprised if frequency hopping is used as well and then it may be harder to identify with normal equipment.

M1WML likes this.
  8. KO2Q

KO2Q Lifetime Member 562 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Once the gubment claims something, they keep it and won't let it go, even if they don't ever actually use it.

WA0VSW, W8KIC, W1CZX and 7 others like this.
  9. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Sound like what just happened to New Zealand 5 Mhz band.

M1WML likes this.
  10. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I suppose there’s nothing like an attack on home soil to cause a reevaluation of any spectrum giveaways and other military needs, perceived or real.

My impression is that Australia is somewhat unusual in its reliance on continental HF for communications with mobiles in the Outback. I can understand why both commercial and military would be reluctant to give up any portion of a prime band for that.

K2CMC, AC0OB, M1WML and 3 others like this.
  11. PA0MHS

PA0MHS Ham Member QRZ Page

If you don't hear traffic, it doesn't mean it isn't there. Modern military radio's use encrypted digital modes for voice and data, using narrow and wide band frequency hopping. To an "analog" listener, this is just noise. Just for fun, download the flyer of the Rohde & Schwarz M3TR SDR's at https://scdn.rohde-schwarz.com/ur/p...f_1/M3TR_bro_en_5213-9228-12_v0700_120dpi.pdf
    These radio's are capable of setting up complete IP networks.
    I'd advise to keep some tissues at hand to stop the drooling...:D

M1WML, YO3GFH, W9YW and 3 others like this.
  12. KN6HVU

KN6HVU Ham Member QRZ Page

That really sucks! Sounds like the people of Australia need to vote some politicians out of office. Hams are the real inventors of radio communications and they need access to all bands to continue to invent new and exciting things for the radio.

M1WML likes this.
  13. KG5EYC

KG5EYC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Most military traffic is done using burst mode and I have seen some signals that look like that on the scope while using FT8 on 60m. Our military uses freqs that are just above and just below our 60m segment.

M1WML, K0UO and PY2NEA like this.
  14. W8AAZ

W8AAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

With the power limits on hams on those frequencies, I seriously doubt that there is interference with adjacent area military using modern equipment. The reverse may not be true, with ham rigs now being quite good but probably not up to the abilities and standards of mil spec. gear. I have not heard hams complaining that mil coms causing issues on their HF bands. Remember, alot of people making policy are not hardly technically competent or informed.

VK6APZ/SK2022 and M1WML like this.
  15. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

This is the kind of mindset that creates "anti-amateur radio" sentiments among the regulators. Keep in mind that a common objection today is "why are you pressing for more spectrum, when you are not using your existing allocations?"

The international amateur radio community should instead be very happy having any 5 MHz allocations, taking the fierce resistance shown from several countries behind the scenes before and at WRC-15 into account.

To even get 5 MHz into the CEPT common European proposal took monumental but thankless efforts from a few of the still remaining officials that were positive to amateur radio.

Most are now retired, or well on their way, and their successors
    are not willing to risk their careers by being sympathetic to amateur radio.

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

VK6APZ/SK2022, M1WML, PY2NEA and 6 others like this.