ad: portazero-1

Vintage QSL collection for sale from the Spark Museum in Bellingham

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by MMAGHAKIAN, Oct 7, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. N6QIC

N6QIC Ham Member QRZ Page

And your call sign is?

2. AF7TS

AF7TS Ham Member QRZ Page

Mike is not a ham.

This in no way excuses people being rude to him. I'd simply suggest that this is an internet forum, which includes people who will be intentionally rude, and far more likely, people who can easily be misunderstood as being rude.

I wish Mike well in either getting these cards sold or sending them to someone who will value them.

Jon
    AF7TS

K2NCC likes this.
  3. WR2E

WR2E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Mike, I don't see where you get the idea that people are being rude. It's a sad reality that your collection is only worth what people are willing to pay. Most of the commenters here have been around the block a few times and have a realistic view of what the collection is 'worth'.

In order for it to have any value at all there has to be a market. The truth is that there is no real market for the cards, thus, there is no real value.

I'm sure that we all applaud your effort in teaching the youngsters about science. I bet a bunch of them would even drop a fiver into a gofundme account with no return at all!

Good Luck!

4. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Mike: are you suggesting it was ME that was being rude? I surely hope not :( If so, how so? I've had nothing but good things to say, other than the price the curator is asking, in my very honest opinion, is really out of whack for what the item is. I have not even posted what that amount even was (is). I've been to the museum a number of times over the years and have commented about it in a positive way. My email to you was very cordial and polite.

Just because we are very far apart on price does not make me "rude" - we just have no room to negotiate. That's all

I'm hoping you're not referring to me as being "rude".

Dave
    W7UUU

KG7VTO likes this.
  5. MMAGHAKIAN

MMAGHAKIAN QRZ Member

the reason a ham did not post this sale is that the hams at the museum are involved in other projects currently.

perhaps rude is not the right word but not sure what word would be the right one.

6. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

Rude Awakening?

I don't mean to be rude but when an upstanding person says something that you may not want to hear, that's called a Rude Awakening.

7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes I am indeed calling you to task on this. Someone should take the time to see if any of it has value. Find the cards of the radio pioneers in the bunch.

Selling it off like a box of junk--with at best, a naive and inflated speculation of worth, sends a message to donors: you dont care about the mission, just the money.

We care about the mission, which is the preservation of radio history. If you dont even take the time to review the cards, then
    IMO the priorities are misplaced.

There is nothing rude about being helpful. And, I will keep my donations elsewhere.

8. K2DFC

K2DFC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It would have also been a good idea to put the asking price out there so we all know what the end game is.

9. MMAGHAKIAN

MMAGHAKIAN QRZ Member

I would like to invite anyone coming near the Bellingham Washington area to come in for a personal tour of the Spark museum with Curator Jonathan.
    Just tell them Mike sent you.....
    who knows the two of you might become best friends !

10. MMAGHAKIAN

MMAGHAKIAN QRZ Member

The museum has received a generous donation and the cards will be going to a lucky new owner shortly.

NF6E likes this.
  11. W8JYZ

W8JYZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I hope the donor, whoever they are appreciates the value of saving our ham radio history.

W1YW and K2DFC like this.
  12. N7XCZ

N7XCZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That is great news, the project will be funded and the cards saved a happy ending indeed.

13. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

Good news indeed!

14. W2VRK

W2VRK Ham Member QRZ Page

15. W2VRK

W2VRK Ham Member QRZ Page

Please contact me via QRZ listed email.. I would like to make a serious offer.