Vintage QSL collection for sale from the Spark Museum in Bellingham

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by MMAGHAKIAN, Oct 7, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. AF7TS

AF7TS Ham Member QRZ Page

I see that the OP (original poster) wants to sell this collection, in order to raise funds for the mission of the museum. I guess the problem is that this asset is not very liquid; it is probably worth a bunch to the correct customer, and worth sending to the dumpster if you can't find the right customer. The impossibility of coming up with a reasonable price is probably the reason that most card collections end up in dumpsters.

I would love to see these go to W8JYZ, since he scans them and puts them online. I would donate $5 to make that happen, maybe enough other people would be interested in small donations to make this happen.

I have no interest in buying a big pile of old cards, but would pay $50 for one of my grandfather's old cards (WA2HTA). There might be a market for individual cards, again if they could be targeted at the correct buyers.

I see small batches of cards (say 10 at a time) sold on e-bay.

Jon
    AF7TS

KE0DZW likes this.
  2. KE0DZW

KE0DZW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I would be onboard with helping out with this.

Ed

KD9KJE likes this.
  3. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm not going to worry about respecting some outfit I know nothing about beyond what they say they are going to do with the money they _might_ earn from selling boxes of old QSL cards.

That said, I don't think it's necessarily bad for them to sell them--that at least helps ensure that whoever buys them will be inclined to take care of them--but I believe they have exaggerated expectations about how much money they will get for them. ;)

4. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I think that's a great idea, but I have the feeling these people imagine making considerably more money than that would probably get them. But, yeah, I'd like to see that too.

KP4SX and KG5SFT like this.
  5. N2BTD

N2BTD Ham Member QRZ Page

Interested in the cards, private message sent !

Brian-N2BTD

6. KG5SFT

KG5SFT Ham Member QRZ Page

Holy Guacamole, Lots of those have 1927 on them. 91 years ago. Those are old. Pretty neat to see some stuff from the past. Thanks for sharing.

W4RAV likes this.
  7. W8JYZ

W8JYZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I appreciate the votes of confidence voiced above. If anyone doubts what I am trying to do, I encourage you to visit my website at www.oldqslcards.com and decide yourself what my motives are. I am retired and spend a lot of my time now working my QSL Card project. I sort, type, file, and all the organizing skills it takes to find a card once its stored and someone sees it listed online and wants a scan of the card to see it it belonged to their lost family member who used to be a ham. Sometimes it might be a daughter who grew up listening to her father in his ham radio room calling CQ.CQ. CQ for hours hoping to find that special overseas contact. These cards are special to me because they all represent a moment in time during our ham radio history. It always amazes me when I find two cards that are 75 years old, from the same ham mailed a few days apart, sent to difference locations and for some reason they both survived the elements of time and found there way into my collection. One might be old crumbling apart and faded so bad you can hardly read the dates and the other looks like it brand new from the box. Of course we all know that one was pinned on the wall of a radio shack for many years and the other was filed away in a shoe box for later reference. Regardless if you considered the monetary value of a card or not, they are all priceless to me. If you love our hobby and can appreciate the legacy the old operators left behind for us to discover in the little 4 x 7 QSL Card, you will understand my plea that no QSL Card should ever end up the landfills of the world. I do this because it needs to be done. I bear the expense of this project on my meager fixed income as a retired ham and always appreciate when someone sends me a donation to say thank you because they understand and appreciate what I do. If these cards in the collection above find there way into my collection, I will be proud to welcome them and give them a good home while they stay until someone from the past recognizes them and they find their way home from once they came.

Bob Green
    W8JYZ
    Old QSL Cards.com

KE0DZW, NF6E and WA4CZD like this.
  8. WX4CAZ

WX4CAZ Subscriber QRZ Page

You should do an auction

9. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Volunteer Moderator Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Why no replies from the OP?

I offered right up front to work a deal - I live a couple hours from Bellingham.

Why not come back and at least offer up something?

I offered to work something out in POST #8...

Please reply / PM / email and let's figure out what to do.

Dave
    W7UUU

W1YW and W4RAV like this.
  10. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

If the intent to to raise money and not keep the (unsorted) collection whole, may I offer this suggestion.

A package of 10 cards, from a specific year (say, 1929) could be sold for $10.

A package of 10 cards from a specific country, say the Japan, UK or elsewhere could be sold for $10.

A mixed package of 10 random, but all older than -say, 1940 - could sell for $5.

All would be plus postage.

The odds of selling all 10K for any kind of real money is, at best, a forlorn hope.

Good luck, you have something of value, but the true value will be all but impossible to determine....