Using FT8 to demonstrate Antenna Orientations

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KM9G, Oct 6, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
  1. 2E0TWD

2E0TWD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

There is however, as you are so far out of touch with reality you can’t even see why.

M1WML and KC7ZXY like this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's a picture of a (rotary) precision attenuator. (See post #55). New ones are expensive. Used ones are common at flea markets for $25-$60. Note this one has 1 dB steps. For RX RSSI only.

[​IMG]

M1WML and N3RYB like this.
  3. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Thats just an opinion; since 1500W is legal then use it to another ~10-20 dB more distance under the noise if that is what is wanted.
    Nobody whines about 1500W ++ on VHF/UHF EME paths.

Carl

M1WML, KK2DOG, NY4I and 5 others like this.
  4. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This is my Observation of doing this on JS8Call working other stations that mostly are ~50 watts, some less. [JS8Call doesn't have the award seekers on it so more of a 100 watts and a wire, even QRP]

For this time of year, since JS8Call has been out, this is what my PacMan generally looks like on 40m from Noon till dark. Then I get more curves on the west coast.

My friends and I have always wondered why better to the south, as the 33 foot antenna is in the back yard vertical on the ground with the two story house is blocking the horizon of the south to it, mostly; as the house is 24feet vs the 33 feet. It does have the MFJ top loaded coil and Hat on it for 80 meters, that might be helping. It would be beyond me to figure out.

Someone once had a whim that the overhead power wires in the neighbors yard to the north of me are reflecting the signal back to the south, that seems a bit of a stretch. They are up almost the same height and run east and west.

Observations make great Ham talk but they are indeed just observations. For example it just may be that more hams are on JS8Call and FT8 [I did compare the PacMan Curve to it as well] in the south/southwest than the north/northwest of me. Lots of variables I will never figure out, just play radio and observe an have fun.

upload_2021-10-9_17-16-44.png

Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
    M1WML, KC7ZXY, DO1FER and 2 others like this.
  5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Joe and crew have all the callsigns on FT8 . It would be interesting to see the geographic density map for FT8 registrations.

Chip W1YW

M1WML and K8XG like this.
  6. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

But also only if it also included some kind of percentage of participation time.

M1WML and W1YW like this.
  7. KY4GD

KY4GD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

For some reason, reading this thread made me think of the toast that Rick Sanchez gave at Birdperson's wedding. It begins "Listen, I'm not the nicest guy in the universe because I'm the smartest. And being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets."

K7PJP, M1WML and KC7ZXY like this.
  8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

That's really offensive. Here's what wikipedia says about your allusion:

"Known for his reckless, nihilistic behavior and pessimistic personality, the character has been well received. He is a sociopathic mad scientist who seems to know everything in the universe and thus finds life a traumatizing and pointless experience."

Why do some licensees of Part 97 have to be made to feel uncomfortable for working hard to live up to the mission?

You confuse 'smart' with 'effort'.

Look: if you don't want to be around technical radio people, then try CB. No one is trying to show-up anyone. Just educate--when needed.

Chip W1YW

M1WML and N3RYB like this.
  9. KY4GD

KY4GD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, it is. Rick is a scientist who knows everything, except why nobody likes him.

M1WML, NY4I and KC7ZXY like this.
  10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, think again.

I am certainly not a sociopath, nihilistic, and so on. And I am not an inked ripoff of Doc Brown either.

Just use 'ignore' if you don't want to see my posts. Easy. In fact; I just put you in 'ignore'.

M1WML likes this.