ad: Retevis-1

Unusual Callsign Activity at QRZ

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Jun 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. K8ZBQ

K8ZBQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds like they were using a "refreshing" program on their browser. Some can be set to refresh every second or so.

2. K4XJ

K4XJ Ham Member QRZ Page

eliminate them

I agree totally on this...eliminate thier call sign from QRZ "if" it is them doing it!!!

3. WB6NVH

WB6NVH Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, quite, who cares about lookup counts anyway?

4. VK2ATC

VK2ATC Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the info on QRZ.coms server setup, its always interesting looking under the hood. I understand about the swapping, a very common issue for sure and sounds like you have taken effective steps to minimise the problem.
    Ok on your time with SUN, knew them a long time ago, guess you may have a Solaris box there. I see a few comments about cutting off callsign listings which have excessive activity, sounds fair on the surface, but the forensic work required to validate it is not just an attempt to cut off an innocent users call would be tedious, probably something you could do without!

Anyway Fred, thanks for the site, good luck and hope you keep those juggling balls all in the air.
    73s es tnx

5. W6SO

W6SO Guest

I understand that this is a question of how much initial flack you want to take for making the change, but I would also endorse the idea of forcing people to be logged into the system in order to see or trip the counter. Only you can know whether it is more trouble than it is worth. As a grateful user I can only say that I will accept whichever choice you make. It just does not seem like that much of a big deal for a user to log-in - which they must already do if they want to do anything more than just browse the forum areas.

Again, it is your call, I am merely voting!

6. UA6JD

UA6JD Platinum Subscriber Volunteer DX Helper Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

About the Lookup Counters_question

Fred-
    After Contest I am import my ADIF file from contest soft to my main log (DXLab suite). DXKeeper have a function during import lookup from www.qrz.com database callsign info (CQ zone name etc) c/o Pathfinder . It possible about few hundreds lookup during half of hour using robot machine (DXLab suite). When I am began using DXLan suite few years ago I am update my QSOs information from qrzcom pages - my computer update about 50K QSOs (in that time I had a low speed Internet) during about 2 days non-stops works.
    Is using this service will block my IP for using qrzcom lookup ?

Last edited: Jun 12, 2010
  7. W8JBV

W8JBV Ham Member QRZ Page

lookups

I see no need for lookups counts anyway, if the problem goes on just get rid of it.

8. K5FAL

K5FAL Ham Member QRZ Page

I know one of these guys...

K5RKK Roger, from Yukon OK

Trust me, he is NOT the type of person to do anything malicious.

9. KB9TMP

KB9TMP Ham Member QRZ Page

You already do it in the "For Sale" forum to view pictures I would go ahead and make logging in mandatory for any of the "special" services you offer. Make it uniform across the whole site. The vocal ones will only be vocal for a very short time until they figure out it's the price of your "FREE" service to the greater ham radio community. In other words, GO FOR IT! 8^)

10. N1FOY

N1FOY Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Fred,

Yes I agree that is unfortunate that the actions of a few sometimes make it difficult for others. I too was locked out today while attempting to update and to add a banner for QRZ. Was locked out during a review to see if the changes were done properly becuse I did them one at a time and the lookup phantom got me. Will have to wait for the predetermined timer to reset....when ever that may be.

It may require to much code writing, but wonder if there is a way to view edits and changes to make sure everything looks good and then an upload can be made without triping the lookup counter?

I know how much time and expense it takes to run sites of this maginitude; but the world wide community would be at a loss without QRZ....like not having Google and such.

Thanks for what you and your staff do for us.

73's
    Foy

11. S56EPX

S56EPX Ham Member QRZ Page

Same problem..

HELLO i agree it will be fine if QRZ admins put some lock if posible for not count when looking his own user, call.. 50x mee. for shure hi.

TNX QRZ de s56epx Franjo

12. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

QRZ is one of the few sites I've seen that actually increase the view number every time a single IP address visits it. You can do this with YOUTUBE as well, but they'll cap it around 300 views until it settles down and somehow counts the real ones. There a forum full of people complaining about it over there. Meanwhile, eBay and the likes, shows only the actual unique visits (i assume by IP.) Yeah, there may be multiples at each IP address, but honestly QRZ visitor counts could just go away and be fine with me!

13. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

Ah, finally got to the 8th page that says "Until yesterday, the count would increase by one each time you refreshed a given page. That has stopped..."

Knock the previous comment I made about the same thing off the list. :)

14. VQ9LA

VQ9LA Guest

VQ9LA counter

Legit my frist year on Diego Garcia I had 75K lookups, Now after 8 years on the Island and very active my counter is very close. I like the counter it is a useful tool on how may QSL cards to expect before they arrive in the mailbox. Last Year I process almost 6000 QSL cards and have over 300lbs of QSL cards in boxes on Diego Garcia. Some guys look my call up everytime they hear my call.
    Good DX
    See you in the CW Pileups
    Larry VQ9LA

15. K7IN

K7IN Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Data Access Abuse

The activity actually sounds more like robots attempting to acquire information than legitimate inquiries. The computer bots that seek out e-mail addresses and other information can be modified infinitely to obtain access to various kinds of data and I suspect this is being done by those attempting to harvest information through the ISP's that were blocked....

Plenty of these hackers know of QRZ but, not all of them understand the security features of the QRZ site so they will probe and test continually using automatically adjusted combinations to try and gain access. I can hardly see it is anything to do with ham radio in reality, sounds too much like an auto-hacker 'bot' computer to me. I do think it would be worthwhile contacting the ISP though and filing a complaint. Just my $.02 ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.