ad: chuckmartin

Two Days of SOTA in Gifford Pinchot National Forest

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N7KOM, Oct 25, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. N7KOM

N7KOM Ham Member QRZ Page

The YL and I wanted to go camping for Memorial Day weekend. So why not pick a spot with quick access to a few SOTA summits.
    There were a lot of other ops out this weekend and it was good fun getting lots of S2S contacts, including a few new activators in the log.

If anyone is interested in getting started in Summits on the Air, please reach out!

73 de Tim N7KOM

VE7JAI, KJ7JYJ, WZ7U and 7 others like this.
  2. VK3SQ

VK3SQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Great video Tim of your activation. Well done.

73 de Geoff vk3sq

M1WML and N7KOM like this.
  3. N7KOM

TU Geoff! 73!

M1WML likes this.
  4. KD7LX

KD7LX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Great video! I am surely biased, though, because this is my backyard. I actually activated my first summit this summer and it was Steamboat Mountain, the first one in this video. What a great way to get moving outside and geek out at the same time!

5. N7KOM

Heck yea. Thanks for commenting on Youtube. Just checked SOTA Atlas and Steamboat only has 10 activations. Pretty surprising considering 1) short trail 2) great view 3) excellent spot to operate from 4) nearby camping. Looks like 4 of those activations were 2021, I think it'll keep getting popular.

M1WML and KD7LX like this.
  6. KD7LX

KD7LX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The view up there is amazing. Mt. St. Helens, Rainier, Hood, and of course Adams towering right to the east. A little more than an hour from my driveway to the trailhead.

7. 2E0TWD

2E0TWD Ham Member QRZ Page

Great video, fantastic scenery. Thank you for putting the Characters on the screen from the CW, very helpful to a CW Novice.

M1WML, N7KOM and KC7ZXY like this.
  8. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

I used to camp out in Gifford Pinchot State Park in Pennsylvania about this time of year. No high summits but it was a lot of fun making contacts.

M1WML, K0YQ and N7KOM like this.
  9. M1WML

M1WML Ham Member QRZ Page

;)

N7KOM likes this.
  10. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

cabin.jpg lake.jpg

Cabin and Lake at GPSP, PA.

N7KOM likes this.
  11. N7KOM

12. K4FLH

K4FLH Ham Member QRZ Page

I was just south of St Helen's between Cougar and the Swift reservoir just inside the boundary of the Gifford Pinchot Forest when the mountain erupted.

N7KOM likes this.
  13. AB3JF

AB3JF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I loved Gifford on the show "Perfect Strangers" back in the late '80s. I'm thrilled to see we've honored him with not only a national forest but also a state park. Wonderful actor. ;)

N7KOM likes this.
  14. N7KOM

Wow, I bet that was a crazy day. What a spot to be in.

15. KI7RI

KI7RI Ham Member QRZ Page

What fun Tim. I wish I could be a part of this some day. I used to do a lot of backpacking but that was a long time ago. I'm mostly kayak these days but would put out the effort to so a S2S just for fun. I've been thinking of an IOTA on the Lower Columbia. KI7RI Lar 73's

N7KOM likes this.