ad: chuckmartin

The WRTC 2026 Games Begin Now: Mark Haynes M0DXR

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W1DED, Sep 10, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. W1DED

W1DED Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

W1DED_059_M0DXR_thumbnail.jpg
    Within weeks, ham radio competitors hungry for one of only 50 team slots in the WRTC 2026 will have their first chance to earn qualifying points. The CQ Worldwide DX SSB contest in late October is the first of only fifteen contests over the next couple of years where points can be earned. In this interview with London area contester and WRTC chairman, Mark Haynes M0DXR, you'll learn more about how the best of the best contesters qualify, how various operating categories are weighted, and the meticulous planning that is required to make this 24-hour contest fair, efficient, and enjoyable. Mark estimates that several hundred people - competitors, referees, site managers, sponsors and spectators - will all converge in England in July 2026 to celebrate this milestone 10th World Radiosport Team Championship. If the conversation leaves you curious to learn more from a competitor's vantage point, look for my earlier interviews with recent winner Yuri VE3DZ, Randy K5ZD and Tim K3LR.

W9EBE, W0YK and KS2G like this.
  2. KK1J

KK1J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Very nice interview Kevin. Keep up the great work!

HB9EPC and W1DED like this.
  3. W1DED

W1DED Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you, Jay! It's been a privilege talking to, and learning from, my interviewees. I'm especially optimistic about the hobby when I see (younger) hams like Mark taking on important leadership roles. Thanks for watching. 73, Kevin

4. G0VCW

G0VCW Ham Member QRZ Page

What a great interview Kevin, Listening to Mark opens your eyes to the colossal amount of work for all that will be involved, and of course all those previous. Mark sounded the right guy to helm the team, and made me feel proud to be a Ham radio operator, 73 Richard

5. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Looking forward to N6MJ and KL9A (past winners) being back in the hunt for a team spot

6. XE1PAS

XE1PAS Ham Member QRZ Page

Almost Amateur Radio Olympiad, thank you Mr. Kevin Thomas for the interview and giving us the details of the event (WRTC) for this 2026.