ad: QuirkyQRP-1

The SOTA Activation Zone | Burma Road High Point

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N7KOM, Dec 14, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. N7KOM

N7KOM Ham Member QRZ Page

Yup, we had great views of the Three Sisters and the Cascades. Trailhead is at Smith Rock State Park. In the summer it can be accessed from another trailhead past Skull Hollow, but that gate is currently closed (September to March). I do not know if Burma Road itself is open to vehicles. It's a popular running and xcmtb cycling road.

Glad you enjoyed the activations. I'm still fairly new to cw so I find that if I keep my speed slow, Chasers will not be too fast. Sometimes I get a 35wpm chaser, but oh well. I do think I was running 5 watts here. Sometimes I'll take advantage of the 10 watts that the kx2 can put out, especially if I'm doing SSB. 73 TU de Tim N7KOM

M1WML and N7KO like this.
  2. N7KO

N7KO Ham Member QRZ Page

TU Tim, I have same issue, any faster than 20wpm I can get lost pretty quick if the operator runs the words to close together, But I like 17wpm, fewer mistakes and much more enjoyable. And TU for the information. I am snowed in here in Spokane and it is 10 degrees right now. Weather Man predicts we will be -8 thursday, so I will spend the next few day in the house going from the radio to tying flies. TU 72' de Ken N7KO

M1WML and N7KOM like this.
  3. 4Z1UG

4Z1UG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What a great post. Thanks!

N7KOM likes this.
  4. KG7AV

KG7AV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Please stop putting Central Oregon in the global spotlight. Everyone knows it's a God forsaken wasteland where it rains all the time, surrounded by dangerous volcanoes ready to blow at any minute, and where cougars regularly carry away pets and small children. No one wants to visit here. No one wants to move here. Best to just steer clear and keep on driving. And for criminy sakes, don't mention the plethora of 3-4 point buttes dotting the region SE of Bend. ;) Nice activation, nice video. 73 de KG7AV

K9EZ and N7KOM like this.
  5. K9EZ

K9EZ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

No one every regretted learning CW!™ LOL!! Go do it! :)

Kent K9EZ

N7KOM likes this.