ad: MLSons-1

The Russian Woodpecker a Blast From the Past

Discussion in 'Videos and Podcasts' started by KI6BDR, Feb 17, 2022.

?

Did you ever hear or jam the Russian Woodpecker

1. Yes I heard the Woodpecker

16 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Yes I jammed the Woodpecker

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. KI6BDR

KI6BDR Ham Member QRZ Page

73 from Ki6BDR - I just gave a talk to the Radio Society of Great Britain and would like to share what I found with you.

Anyone ever hear the woodpecker?
    Anyone ever jam the woodpecker?

The talk in the link above reverse engineers the Russian Woodpecker based solely on frequency and geometry
    In the movie the Russian Woodpecker an interview with locals in the Ukraine admit that the frequencies came from the Duga-3 Radar. And that the antenna was going to a new frequency that was blocked by the Arora. (probably 4 MHz) The radar would send 4 different frequencies in either the 8 or 16 MHz band. Probably dithering the elevation of the beam. The phase shifters (admitted in the movie as well) probably scanned the columns of antennas in azimuth. The physical geometry of the face of the array pointed straight down the middle of the United States. The array was preserved due to the location in the radioactive zone from the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant explosion.

I hope you enjoy the presentation.

73 Ki6BDR

KA0HCP likes this.
  2. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

As a young ham during the very early Duga radar "Woodpecker" days yes of course I remember what a scourge it was. HORRIBLE. Just wiped out the bands and practically blew the cans off your head. QSOs during its use were all but impossible.

But JAMMING it?

Certainly would not have been something I'd even think of trying with my Globe Scout 680a and 75 foot wire ;):)

Dave
    W7UUU

KI6BDR likes this.
  3. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

Ah...dit dit?

KI6BDR likes this.
  4. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks like feed lines are still in place has anyone tried hooking a hf rig to it or parts of it? Might be interesting.

5. K4PP

K4PP Ham Member QRZ Page

KI6BDR likes this.
  6. VK3AUX

VK3AUX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Would you believe the Woodpecker in Chernobyl is now a tourist attraction. The buses that go to the Chernobyl Nuclear station also stop in at the Woodpecker to have a look. Of the Duga radars, all caused a lot of interference but Duga 3 seems the most notorious. What an amazing piece of craftsmanship pushed onto the world's radio frequencies. The JORN radar here in Australia is also amazing. Back to the Woodpecker in it's deteriorating form it is an ominous reminder of the past.

7. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Did Duga signals disrupt ham radio in VK land back then as well? I never really knew how far they reached. Being in Seattle with zillions of US missiles, submarines, and aircraft in the area it makes sense we'd get the signal SUPER strong I suppose. But always wondered about elsewhere

Dave
    W7UUU

8. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm not going to transmit from that site/it's highly Radioactive the real.

On top of that it's in the Ukraine/ the Russians are taking it back
    73 from,
    The K0UO "Rhombic Antenna Farm" 2 miles of wire, I'm In the Air or On the Air daily

9. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Wrong thread.

10. KI6BDR

KI6BDR Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks I just read the article. I see the antenna was used by ham radio operators after it was abandoned. 73 Keith

11. VK3AUX

VK3AUX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I was not a licensed Ham back then, but the Wireless Institute of Australia has published information regarding the Duga radar. From my understanding it was from 1976 to 1989 the radar could be heard worldwide. I do remember hearing it back in the day at a friends Ham shack, it was as much annoying as interfering and really knocked out some frequencies all together. The Hams nightmare which thankfully came to an end after the cold war.

12. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes granted it is glowing and I am not going there. But it would still be cool to see what it would do.

K0UO likes this.
  13. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The Russians have officially captured that area/ so it's now under Russian control again

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.