ad: Flexradio-1

The Next BIG Thing From Kenwood? K6UDA Radio Episode 53

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K6UDA, Jun 1, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K6UDA

K6UDA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I sit down with Don Arnold, W6GPS to talk about Kenwood's new TH-D74. He explains why the radio looks like it does, how to disassemble it, he schools me on the difference between DPRS and APRS and what you can do with APRS. We also talk about what may be next on Kenwood's plate and how you and I can influence it. This is a compelling interview you don't want to miss.
    Email for Kenwood marketing: jkusa.amr@gmail.com
    include your name, call sign, location and how many units you would consider buying.
    EP 53 Don and the D74.jpg

K7END, W5KV and WA6QGH like this.
  2. W7EAZ

W7EAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Just buy an amplifier to put in your vehicle and you have everything the D74 has in a mobile.

3. K3SZ

K3SZ Ham Member QRZ Page

E-mail sent to Kenwood, but would like to see DMR instead which has a decent following in my neck of the woods as does D-Star. Kenwood has DMR offerings for the commercial market but I have no idea if they are interested in bringing that to the amateur market. Thanks for your video!

4. K6UDA

I think it would be very cool to offer both in one radio. What a seller that would be.

5. AB9TX

AB9TX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think alot of other hams like myself would much rather have an updated HF mobile radio on par with Yaseu, except a real USB interface, SDR.
    The Kenwood 480AT is at least a dozen years old...

KX4CC likes this.
  6. K0OKS

K0OKS Ham Member QRZ Page

Forgive me newbie ignorance. Which Yaesu are you referring to here?

7. K3SZ

K3SZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I did that back in the day when an Icom IC-2AT was my only VHF radio. The cabling was cumbersome (spkr/mic, coax, and power) and QSY tricky. I would prefer mobile radio packaging and ergonomics for mobile operation.

8. NY7Z

NY7Z Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Agree about the new HF radio. Mobile or base, actually. They have had a long-time hole in their lineup ever since they discontinued the TS-870. The other Big Three each have mid sized HF's. I'd love to see a TS-880!

9. K6UDA

Now wouldn't an all band, all mode including D-star and maybe DMR HF/2m/220/440 mobile rig be cool?

WA4ADT likes this.
  10. W7EAZ

W7EAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

...and spendy...but cool!

WA4ADT likes this.
  11. KD2AFE

KD2AFE Ham Member QRZ Page

Done. Asked for DPRS with APRS on the TH-D74. I sometimes operate in some areas with DPRS but no APRS. Should be easy to add with a firmware upgrade.
    Thanks Kenwood!

12. N5XJT

N5XJT Ham Member QRZ Page

Agree with earlier comments, e.g., Kenwood is far behind in bringing a new small HF/VHF/UHF unit to market. The new IC-7300 far outpaces any of KW's current offerings.

13. AE2S

AE2S QRZ Lifetime Member #101 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I would settle for a good quality D-star / DMR - 2m/220/440 mobile rig. If it were to come as an all mode I would be the first person on line to buy it! ;)

14. AK9DX

AK9DX Ham Member QRZ Page

Next "Big Thing".....not really.
    Like others have said, how about a nice HF desktop size SDR radio with a crisp HD display.
    Also capable to do DMR and have VHF and UHF built in. With SSB on VHF and UHF of course.
    Remote functions built in and plenty of USB 3 connections. HDMI output would be great too.

WA4ADT likes this.
  15. KN6FH

KN6FH Ham Member QRZ Page

KN6FH An email to Kenwood. I am an old man and my Kenwood radio's are also old. I don't appreciate Kenwood discontinuing parts for usable radios such as the TS 570SG and TS 940S