ad: Mountaingoat-1

The \"New Guy\" Struck a Nerve

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by Guest, Jun 15, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. Guest

Guest Guest

ae9b writes...

"I find it interesting that Justin, KD7LRO, struck such a nerve with the comments he made regarding his club experiences. Apparently many of us have had similar experiences and/or understand his perspective.

This does not bode well for ham radio.

Seems that this topic could be expanded and evaluated to try to improve the situation. I agree with many of the comments presented. The lack of social skills, it seems, isn't just for the new guys. OF's seem to be less socially adept at off the air communication than they suggest they are on the air. Perhaps on the air experiences "when you're hiding behind your key, or heaven forbid microphone" aren't fulfilling enough.

Having been a member of several clubs, there aren't many that satisfy my needs. I look for an active, "not just by lip service" club that actually does stuff. There aren't many out there. Field day, although the crowning jewel of amateur radios, is only one weekend in a 52-weekend year. I don't count that as "being active" that is expected. What have you done for me lately! Most everyone has experience field day and most would express their experiences in a positive manner. Why then, don't more clubs have additional activities like this, which we all know the members enjoy?

Justin, (and other hams looking) good luck in you search for the camaraderie of a social club in your local area. If you haven't tried contesting, you might want to. It is something that has opened some doors for me and given me a chance to be active on most weekends of the year. Feel free to e-mail me direct with questions. I'm not sure where you're located but K7RAT has a big following out west.

Tom Baugh AE9B"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.