ad: k1jek

The Morserino-32 Learns to Speak, Presentation at Friedrichshafen

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by M0FEU, Jun 18, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. M0FEU

M0FEU Ham Member QRZ Page

ICYMI, Willi Kraml is the 2023 CWops award winner for advancing the art of CW, a well deserved recognition of the thousands of hours Willi has spent perfecting his invention. You can read more about it here:

https://cwops.org/cwops-award-winners/

Has Willi decided to rest upon his laurels? Not a bit of it. A lot has happened since the humble beginnings of the Morserino-32, and this year there is some particularly exciting news to report.

img_5285_med.jpeg

There were many requests to make the Morserino-32 accessible to blind people: not only Gerhard but also the blind radio amateur Markus (DF1DV). Thanks to Christof (OE6CHD), a student at the Graz CW School, working together with Willi, a practical solution for the voice output has been found. To avoid additional hardware, Christof wrote some software a few months ago that runs directly in a Bowser (www.tegmento.org) and can communicate with the Morserino-32 via a USB cable.

OE1WKL. OE6CHD.jpg
    OE1WKL & OE6CHD at the Lindenwirt in Graz

For this purpose, a protocol has been developed by the pair through which the Morserino-32 can communicate with the browser, which then outputs the information on the display as spoken language. Markus, DF1DV will be helping us as a first user during the pilot phase to make sure that it can be easily used by blind people. A detailed explanation its operation will be made available on the YouTube channel of the CW School Graz (videos are in the pipeline). So far there are two languages to choose from: a full-voiced, British male for English and an equally pleasant female voice for German. Naturally, navigation of all menu items will also be possible using voice output. The communication protocol can also be used to remotely control the Morserino-32 via a browser, which further increases its user-friendliness. The entire project should be completed in time for the Ham Radio fair in Friedrichshafen in June 2023 and presented at the ÖVSV stand.

OeVSV-Logo.png

http://www.morserino.info/

German Translation:
    ICYMI, Willi Kraml ist der Gewinner des CWops-Preises 2023 für die Weiterentwicklung der CW-Kunst, eine wohlverdiente Anerkennung für die Tausenden Stunden, die Willi damit verbracht hat, seine Erfindung zu perfektionieren. Mehr dazu können Sie hier lesen:
    https://cwops.org/cwops-award-winners/
    Hat Willi beschlossen, sich auf seinen Lorbeeren auszuruhen? Überhaupt nicht. Seit den Anfängen des Morserino-32 hat sich viel getan und auch heuer gibt es wieder über Neuigkeiten zu berichten. Von vielen Seiten wurde angeregt, den Morserino-32 auch für Blinde benutzbar zu machen, neben Gerhard auch von dem blinden Funkamateur Markus, DF1DV. Dank Christof (OE6CHD), einem Schüler der Graz CW School, konnte in Zusammenarbeit mit Willi eine praktische Lösung für die Sprachausgabe gefunden werden. Zur Vermeidung einer zusätzlichen Hardware hat Christof bereits vor einigen Monaten eine Software geschrieben, die direkt im Bowser (www.tegmento.org) läuft und mit dem Morserino-32 via USB-Kabel kommuniziert.

Zu diesem Zweck hat das Paar ein Protokoll entwickelt, über das der Morserino-32 mit dem Browser kommunizieren kann, der dann die Anzeigen am Display als gesprochenen Sprache ausgibt. Markus, DF1DV wird uns als erster Benutzer in der Pilotphase zur Verfügung stehen, damit die einfache Verwendbarkeit durch blinde Menschen auch wirklich gesichert ist. Eine ausführliche Erklärung der Bedienung wird auf dem YouTube-Kanal der CW-Schule Graz zur Verfügung gestellt werden (die Videos sind noch in Arbeit). Bis jetzt stehen zwei Sprachen zur Auswahl: eine sonore, britische Männerstimme für Englisch und eine ebenso angenehme weibliche Stimme für Deutsch. Selbstverständlich ist die Navigation aller Menüpunkte auch per Sprachausgabe möglich. Dieses Kommunikationsprotokoll kann auch zur Fernsteuerung des Morserino-32 über den Browser genutzt werden, womit die Bedienerfreundlichkeit weiter gesteigert wird. Bis zur HAM-Radio Messe in Friedrichshafen im Juni 2023 soll auch dieses Vorhaben abgeschlossen sein und am ÖVSV-Stand präsentiert werden.

W4ABC, N5VAF, WW4JF and 3 others like this.
  2. KQ1V

KQ1V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

A true inventor! Props, tip o' the hat, and accolades to a gentleman!!

HB9EPC and M0FEU like this.
  3. M0FEU

Willi also listened very carefully to the community of hams around him, particularly the Graz CW school. He is always open to new ideas via email.

HB9EPC and KQ1V like this.
  4. DL6SEZ

DL6SEZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Friedrichshafen my Dear not Friedrichshaffen
    it has nothing to do with Affen!

GM4JPZ, VK2JI, WW4JF and 1 other person like this.
  5. DO1FER

DO1FER Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh dear! Oh dear! You are on thin ice.

6. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Although that may apply to some (below) and a famous Ham. ;):p

[​IMG]

GM4JPZ, M6WRB and DL6SEZ like this.
  7. DL6SEZ

Oh yes i see, maybe DO1FER has no idea so far ;)

8. DL6SEZ

Last edited: Jun 22, 2023
    M0FEU likes this.
  9. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the post, this is the first I've seen/heard of the Morserino device.

Vielen Dank für den Beitrag, dies ist das erste Mal, dass ich das Morserino-Gerät gesehen/gehört habe.

M0FEU likes this.
  10. W3AMT

W3AMT Ham Member QRZ Page

Gut Danke

M0FEU likes this.
  11. WS4K

WS4K Ham Member QRZ Page

Willi truly does listen to the Morserino users.
    Several of us pestered Willi to add the LICW Carousel Sequence into his choices in the Koch trainer. This took lots of work to do because one can enter into the Carousel rotation at any point. Willi told me they worked on it but couldn't make it work.
    A couple days later, he told me that the solution came to him suddenly. The addition was in his next revision.

He has shipped over 8000 Morserino kits now. He packages all the components himself. Willi truly has Advanced the Art of CW!

M0FEU likes this.
  12. SP9SMT

SP9SMT Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you, I also bought morserino-32 to learn morse :), great little device.

M0FEU likes this.
  13. VE3MRX

VE3MRX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This is a neat device that I use in my club cw Zoom meetings. There are lots of options and ways to help morse beginners. Hats off to Willi whom I met at Dayton.

14. LW6EPO

LW6EPO Ham Member QRZ Page

hla es la primera vez que este dispositivo .necesitaria mas informacion .gracias

15. M0FEU

http://www.morserino.info/