The MFJ-1935 Cobweb antenna review and on-air test

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KJ4YZI, Nov 21, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. KJ4YZI

KJ4YZI Ham Member QRZ Page

Just put this antenna together in 2 hours, and made some easy contacts on this weekend's November Sweeps. Check it out.

K3RW, KM6DYO, M6VIE and 3 others like this.
  2. G0NKZ

G0NKZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Cobweb looks good but looking now for comparison with vertical. G0NKZ.

3. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

The QRZ article title needs to be edited -- the proper part number appears to be MFJ-1835. Product link here: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-1835

This is a really neat antenna design. The compact construction of a hexbeam, but bidirectional like a dipole, and much, much lighter. My hexbeam weighs in at over 25#. The manual for this antenna says it is around 8#.

I'm going to have to try one of these.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
    KC9K and KC5HWB like this.
  4. HB9FIH

HB9FIH Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Its easy to build one yourself.
    It runs very well. I v made and use them at qth ta3 with success. My is with cable (Aircell7) and 6m mast only 7 kg !
    See http://www.hb9fih.org/?p=p_195&sName=ta3--cobwebb-antenne-21.9.2015-...

There are two different wirings.
    1.With dual cable (speaker cable) and gamma match (sometimes hard to tune, but needs no balun - no loss)
    (For tuning over the hole bands i use the sg237)
    2.With single wire, easy to tune but needs a balun (impedance transform)

5. KJ4YZI

KJ4YZI Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes it's a typo i made. It is clearly the MFJ-1835

6. KE4VUY

KE4VUY Ham Member QRZ Page

I was looking at this antenna also but noticed two different part numbers MFJ-1835 and MFJ-1835H. What is the defference?

NX6ED likes this.
  7. KG0MN

KG0MN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Is MFJ providing these items for review or are you paying for them out of pocket?

KM1H likes this.
  8. KG0J

KG0J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The H suffix denotes a version that will take 1500 watts and costs a bit more, the non-H is only 300 watts.

N0PLV and N9NSB like this.
  9. KM0MMM

KM0MMM Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice review video, thanks for doing this. Looks like a nice antenna to take on a road trip and do some portable work, or even at the home QTH for QRP experiments. Even the lower height got you some contacts. Might be good for NPOTA and similar quick trips.
    73, KG0UFO

10. N7XGR

N7XGR Ham Member QRZ Page

Starting at the 45 second point of the video he mentions 5 horizontal square loops with 3-4 Db gain but with
    insulators opposite the feedpoint then this makes this like he mentions a folded fan dipole.
    If this was a full wave loop antenna it would be much larger. Since this is only a folded fan dipole
    I do not see any Db gain from it.

YMMV

Bruce N7XGR