ad: Halibut-1

The Ham Nation Pine Board Project

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K9EID/SK2024, Mar 8, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K7MD

K7MD Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's a screen grab of the schematic and parts list, with some vendors, Bob showed on Wednesday's Ham Nation show.

IMG_3768.PNG

2. VE3LYX

VE3LYX Ham Member QRZ Page

I am building along. I hope many others do too. Hopefully with in decent distance. We could have the HM AM net. Going down to put the one on my avator on 3242-43khz. No AM but the warm glow of wood and tubes.
    donVe3LYX

3. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Now that is a very cool project.

4. KA7FTP

KA7FTP Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for posting that.

I heard the original podcast on wtww and missed all the visual references.

Ive been wanting to do a glowbug project for a long time. My origianl novice rig was a HW16.

+1 for a homebuilt net using these little radios!

5. AF8JC

AF8JC Ham Member QRZ Page

For those of you wondering about the excerpt from a joke a few postings back by VE3LYX, here it is:

A young man and an old man were fishing on a pier. The young man started telling the old one that the night before he caught a trout that was over 3 1/2 foot long.
    The old man replied "Oh yea, well I was here 2 nights ago and I hooked something huge. After a 30 minute fight I finally got it up and it was an old lantern and the thing was still lit."
    The young man said "Your lying. I can't believe that."
    Then the old man said, "I'll tell you what, you knock a couple of foot off your trout and I'll blow out my lantern."

6. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

I built stuff on wood chassis in the early 1970s when I was a Novice. It wasn't open construction -- there were sides and tops as well, using thin plywood. They were shielded, too -- aluminum foil glued to the insides took care of that. Vent holes were shielded using metal window screen.

7. VE3LYX

Thanks , That's the story!
    I can never remember what the Euro tube is I used for my transceiver so I had to pull it out and remove the tube shield and see.
    EGC832. A dissimilar dual triode. basically half hi mu, half med mu. I was thinking about parts for this build. I dont have any 12au7 tubes but 12ax7 which are not well suited to TX work although will do in a pinch BUT I do have handfuls of 12bh7 tubes which stomp well. I wonder what the power difference would be? They can handle some good voltage. Same pinout. For the preamp I will stay with the 12ax7. For CW, Time to make another wooden key.
    donVe3LYX

8. VE3LYX

Got my homework done. FS meter works pretty good. Two clip leads (antenna) makes it about perfect. Tested it with the rig to the left.
    donVe3LYX

9. N3HEE

N3HEE Ham Member QRZ Page

Look, I'm all for hams building their own gear. I get what Bob is trying to do and applaud him for his efforts. I have built penty of gear over the years. Including ham and audio tube gear. I learned in tech school and learned from ham mentors how to work with high voltages. Even though this project is fairly low voltage\current it can be lethal if the current path to ground is across the heart. Try touching the exposed 120VAC terminal, which has nearly unlimited current, while the other hand is touching ground and see what happens ? We built a solid state breadboard AM/FM radio kit in tech school that was perfect for learning how a receiver works. We built and tested one section at a time and then took a test to prove what we learned. This is 2017 and we have better and safer options to teach our ham friends how to build gear. This project is like teaching someone to ride a motorcyle before they have ridden a bicycle. At least glad to see Bob gave out strong warnings. Why not install a bleeder resistor to minimize accidental shock hazard ? ;) Flame away !!

10. VE3LYX

We better stop all building right now. No more tube amps , stop using the coffee maker (Why it isnt even fused and has water in it! Not to mention my table saw and electric drill. ) And only 5 volt circuits. 12 is iffy so there goes my solid state stuff. Meanwhile the audio philes are building away using up our limited supply of tubes . Or Try NOT touching . That would work. Bleeder resistor is always a good idea. For several reasons.
    don

WN1MB and KD8YQC like this.
  11. K7MD

K7MD Ham Member QRZ Page

As I recall, Bob noted the lack of PS Bleeder resistor in the most recent video. He noted that as the total circuit load has not yet been determined, the precise value of the bleeder resistor is not yet determined either... He said it would be specified in the future.

12. N4ACB

N4ACB Ham Member QRZ Page

A temporary bleeder resistor could be added until the final connections are made.
    Those charged caps could be a nasty surprise to all of us informed types the next day when we forget....

Thanks,
    Mike

KM1H likes this.
  13. K7MD

K7MD Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree Mike. I was actually surprised he didn't just drop one in there temporarily.

KM1H likes this.
  14. VE3LYX

Just finished my PSU and added 100 ohms per volt bleeder. Also keeps key up PSU voltage in reason. I can hardly wait for the TX build.
    donVE3LYX

15. KE4OH

KE4OH Ham Member QRZ Page

Joe, we would flame you, but flames are too dangerous. :)