ad: k1jek

The Essence of a Great Ham

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W5TAZ, Oct 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KC8PNL

KC8PNL Ham Member QRZ Page

Does it really matter where individuals came from before getting in to this wonderful hobby or not? Who really cares if they started out on CB or not. The point is, they are here now and are hopefully here to stay. For the record though,I know of 4 hams who started out on CB and r under 35 and I myself started out on 11 M. So? Does that make me less of a person than someone who was never on the CB? Sure, there lots of bad operators on 11 M, but there r good ones as well.

2. W5HTW

W5HTW Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (kc8pnl @ Oct. 15 2002,13:58)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Does it really matter where individuals came from before getting in to this wonderful hobby or not?  Who really cares if they started out on CB or not.  The point is, they are here now and are hopefully here to stay.  For the record though,I know of 4 hams who started out on CB and r under 35 and I myself started out on 11 M.  So?  Does that make me less of a person than someone who was never on the CB?  Sure, there lots of bad operators on 11 M, but there r good ones as well.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    No, it really doesn't matter. In the early 1970s I taught ham radio classes both through our radio club and through the local YMCA, neither affiliated with the other, and probably about half of the students who came to the classes were active CBers.

The problem with CB radio then and now is it teaches the attitude of "rules? What rules?" So those coming from CB radio frequently, but not always, tend to bring that attitude into ham radio. The process of changing an avid CBer into a ham is one of pretty much negative approaches - "We don't do that in ham radio." It would be much better if we could use positive enforcement, but it doesn't work for probably the majority of CBers. Most of them are violating almost all of the CB rules, including high power, "sliders," freebanding, working DX, etc. It is the normal thing for them to do. It is awfully hard to drop those habits when coming into ham radio and realize we have a different set of rules and we expect you, the ex-CBer, to abide by them.

The other problem that is noted most, is the CB "operating habits" (not the rules breaking) tend to carry over into ham radio, since we did away with the ham radio learner's permit (The Novice ticket) and now everyone coming into ham radio has to learn on 2-meter FM. That's like saying you learn to drive a tractor trailer by riding the bumper cars at the fair. It has almost no relevance to operating on HF. So they spend a year or two on 2-meters and then get their HF privileges and no-one, anywhere along the line, has bothered to tell them "THIS is how it's done." Consequently, listening to HF today is so dramatically different from listening to it 12-14 years ago, it is hardly recognizable as the same thing. That is no individual's fault, but it is the way it happens to be, because no one told them differently. And, as they assimilate into HF ham radio, they change it themselves, for now the "newest" migrant hears that CB type lingo and thinks it is the way it should be. He is learning by doing, but he is learning from those who didn't learn previously.

It is too late to recover, of course. Ham radio will continue to become more CB-alized, fortunately, though, without the profanity, and hopefully with less rule-breaking. The style, though, has changed forever. The language of ham radio has, if you will permit me, become corrupted by the "Personal here is Bill, QSL?" type of conversation, and the "You're throwing me a nine by 15." (Whatever that means, but I heard it last night on 20 meters.)

We lament the passing of that language, just as we lament the passing of English, as in using "your" for "you're" (two very different words) as in, "If your looking for a good deal." It's gone, the language and the ham radio language.

We recognize, or at least I do, that changes have been made. And many of them came from CBers entering this hobby, while others came from CBers _wanting_ to enter this hobby (hence the code free ticket.) What I try to do, and what I hope others try to do, is know that no individual here on QRZ, or on the air, is to blame for the changes. They have taken and passed the test presented to them, and are, under the law, licensed hams. I wish I could weaken the "CB" in them, but it is too late for that. So now it is us old timers who have to adapt to the New Ham Radio, just as we have to adapt to the New English.

If we get bitter now and then, it is because we saw something we dearly loved being weakened, diluted, because others love it, too. And that will happen in the future, as more dilution comes along, and it will, and today's "newcomers" will be the old timers who lament the passing of today's ham radio. This is human nature. But the real fact is we can't ever go back. So we have to move ahead, and not blame CBers fomr the ills of the hobby. If there is blame it is shared with "changing times" and us "old timers who did not resist the changes when we had the chance."

So, welcome, CBer. Please, though, on the ham bands, be a ham, not a CBer. Learn the language of the nation, and of the hobby, and speak it. Learn the operating techniques, and be a part of it, instead of 'taking' a part of it. Join, rather than divide. Welcome.

Ed

3. W5TAZ

W5TAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

W5HTW de W5TAZ

Amen Ed!

4. Guest

Guest Guest

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (kb6ssn @ Oct. 13 2002,09:51)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">There are a great many Americans who equate this traitor with A. Hitler![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Link or sources?

5. Guest

Guest Guest

I've been licensed since 1981, and have never transmitted in the 11 meter band.

My interest came from the successful repair of an old shortwave receiver in the basement during an intensely hot summer day. I was about 14, and from that moment forward, I was enthralled with listening to shortwave and ham transmissions.

Well, until the following week when the people down the street had their 15 year old granddaughter from Georgia visiting for the summer. The tubes in the receiver stayed cold until she went home.

6. KB6SSN

KB6SSN Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ka8ncr @ Oct. 16 2002,10:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (kb6ssn @ Oct. 13 2002,09:51)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">There are a great many Americans who equate this traitor with A. Hitler![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Link or sources?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    There are litterally thousands! But this should be a good start for you: http://www.lincolnmyth.com/ This is not the forum to discuss this, so if you'd like to email me privately i will be glad to fill you in! Suffice it to say that not everyone has been subjected to the Yankee brainwashing that beatifies this evil man!

7. KC8PNL

KC8PNL Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes Ed I guess things have changed and I'm glad that people are willing to except that. However, even though I'm an x-CBer, I still try to abide by the proper operating procedures and have done this through hours of monitoring before getting my lisence. Those who do come from the 11 meter band need to realize that all of the ham bands are a whole different world and that they need to adapt to this accordingly. For example, in some countries they drive on the left side of the road, but you definatly wouldn't want to try that here in the states. Anyway, I'm sure menny new operators would apreciate being corrected when not using proper amature radio operating procedures, particulary in net operations.

73 and hpe CUL
    de kc8pnl

8. Guest

Guest Guest

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (kc8pnl @ Oct. 17 2002,22:25)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I'm an x-CBer, I still try to abide by the proper operating procedures and have done this through hours of monitoring before getting my lisence.  Those who do come from the 11 meter band need to realize that all of the ham bands are a whole different world and that they need to adapt to this accordingly.  Anyway, I'm sure menny new operators would apreciate being corrected when not using proper amature radio operating procedures, particulary in net operations.

73 and hpe CUL
    de kc8pnl[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Well said.I've been monitoring for a little over a year now,like what I hear and decided to put out the effort,study and get my ticket. I feel that monitoring and getting a feel for propper operating procedure is part of the studies that all new comers (and a few vets from what I hear) should do. I also will welcome any advice/corrections when I do get on the air.

9. NO7S

NO7S Ham Member QRZ Page

"Most operators, coming from the 11 meter band, leave it behind never to return again."---Dave

I think Dave has been taken out of context:
    The cut-n-paste quote above does not, to my interperetation, infer that "we all come from CB into ham radio."--Doc.

Rather, that most hams WHO HAVE used 11 meters, don't go back. It's kinda like saying that 'all ladies are women but not all women are ladies'

Besides, those of you who got hung up on the CB reference lost sight of Dave's intent.

Bob

10. K3RPG

K3RPG Ham Member QRZ Page

K6UEY, in his reply, refers to a timeline of, "Before the world went crazy," and I was just curious if we can point to a time that the world was "of sound mind" so to speak.

KB2TFA/ be careful of ideaology...

11. K3RPG

K3RPG Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DocRF @ Oct. 21 2002,12:38)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (NO7S @ Oct. 20 2002,02:44)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">"Most operators, coming from the 11 meter band, leave it behind never to return again."---Dave

I think Dave has been taken out of context:
    The cut-n-paste quote above does not, to my interperetation, infer that "we all come from CB into ham radio."--Doc.

Rather, that most hams WHO HAVE used 11 meters, don't go back.  It's kinda like saying that 'all ladies are women but not all women are ladies'

Besides, those of you who got hung up on the CB reference lost sight of Dave's intent.

Bob[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    This is one of those places where a punctuation error changed the meaning of the statement.

The two commas which surround the phrase "coming from the 11 meter band" change the subsequent phrase from a modifier into one of "additional detail".  In other words, this sentence, in grammatical terms, defines "most operators" as "coming from the 11 meter band":

"Most operators, coming from the 11 meter band, leave it behind never to return again."

If the sentence had been written "Most operators coming from the 11 meter band leave it behind never to return again.

Both sentences are grammatically correct, but they carry different meanings.  That's why some of us get a bit fussy about grammar - incorrect punctuation can change the meaning completely.

Here's a pair of examples which show the same grammatical issue:

Example A:
    "Most city cowboys, who wear boots even though they never walk in a field, have big egos."

This sentence clearly indicates that ALL city cowboys wear boots even though they never walk in a field, and fundamentally says that most city cowboys have big egos.

Example B:
    "Most city cowboys who wear boots even though they never walk in a field have big egos."

In this sentence, the "big egos" are reserved for the subset of city cowboys who wear boots even though they never walk in a field.  It clearly suggests that if you meet a city cowboy who does NOT wear boots (or who does, but walks in fields), would be expected not to have a big ego.

This particular example actually comes from a boot catalog...

Doc[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Doc,

I think the boot catalog editor should pick up a dictionary. Most does not mean all.

I might add that quotes are used for direct speach, the listing of a title (e.g. a book title), or quotes can be used a scare quotes (slang speach).

However, I do agree with you doc, danger will arise when things are taken out of context. People take what they want to suite his or her purposes.

73, [​IMG]

12. KB5SXH

KB5SXH Ham Member QRZ Page

I must say that it was an excellent post. I'm 22, have been a ham for only twelve or so years, and I have to admit, I started with CB, too, though I was never extremely enthusiastic about it.

I recently got out of the Marine Corps, where I served in the Infantry. I was constantly amazed at the lack of theoretical knowlege that was displayed by military radio operators and communications officers.

After I got out and got back on the air, I was again amazed at how things have gone. There used to be so many people at the club meetings that you couldn't find a place to sit. Now, well, it seems as if everybody has dried up. Many of the people got tired of the petty bickering and joking that takes place at the meetings, and aren't even to be found on the local repeaters any more, as they aren't the friendly place they once were. I run into one on HF or at a hamfest, and we reminisce about the way things were when I was a novice and they were my Elmers...

I'm still on the air, though, because I love to communicate, I love to learn, and I love to help. I'm not going into any sort of engineering field, as I feel that I can be of better use to the community by pursuing a career as a physician, but I still learn every thing that I can about radio. The more I learn, the more amazed I am.

It saddens me to see how little public interest there is for HAM radio in my area. There used to be kids on the air all over the place, but I was amazed the other day to have a QSO with someone as young as myself the other day on 20 meters...

I suppose that my point is, something has to be done to continue HAM radio. I don't think the answer lies in lessening the standards. I'll be taking my Extra test soon, and I'm almost dissapointed that I won't be taking a 20WPM CW test along with the theory. As a matter of fact, since I passed 5wpm as a novice, I didn't have to take the CW for the General. I used to tune around the bands and hear CW so fast that I thought it was RTTY at first. Now, I'm lucky to catch someone at 20WPM.

I'm not saying that the old way was better, or that the new way is worse, but I have noticed a general decline in the knowlege of radio operators. It's now more a task of memorizing test questions than learning theory.

We've come a long way since my father's stories about "ether winds" and the such, so shouldn't we be learning a lot more? How come most of the Extra's I know wouldn't dare to try to troubleshoot their own equipment? Sure it's more complicated. So is medicine. So is chemistry. So is the concept of the "modern" internal combustion engine. We must advance ourselves constantly in technology and the ability to work on our own gear, the ability to solve problems, or we'll end up as high speed/low drag cb operators...

I may be right, I may be wrong, but I hope to hell that I'm wrong about this.

73's
    John KB5SXH

13. K6UEY

K6UEY Ham Member QRZ Page

John - KB5SXH
    Good post John,I believe you are saying the same thing I have been trying to pound into the heads of some of the newer crowd,the difference being you put it in your words. There are several on this Forum,who have witnessed the change and the decline of Ham radio. History has many times over proven to preserve longevity you must never sacrafise Quality for Quantity. The politically correct stance seems to be even the unqualified deserve all the benefits as though they workked to earn them. While this may go well with the crowd who refuse to learn it kicks hell out of the incentive of those who are willing to work at learning and advancing their knowledge.
    John keep up the good work,you are on your way to being proud to be and OF like myself,and I hope some day you can assimilate the fond memories provided by Ham Radio as I have been fortunate enough to do...73 ORV

14. NO7S

NO7S Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't worry Dave, I'll be glad to read bewteen your lines any day. It's not what you said as much as what you meant.

Bob

15. W5TAZ

W5TAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

NO7S, Bob de Dave W5TAZ,

Fine business Bob, I'm glad to see that someone got it. And no, I'm not a professional writer, most of my comments were simply to refer to a feeling I had personally, and most of you seemed to get tangled up on my poor writing skills or the reference to Abe Lincoln and the CB radio, to those I say, Duck! You already missed it, reguardless of where i punctuated!  [​IMG]

De W5TAZ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.