ad: elecraft

The Club Adventure!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by Guest, Jun 3, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. Guest

Guest Guest

N7UO writes "To join or not to join...that is the question...whether it's better to suffer the slings and arrows of self-indulgent indivuality...now that's the true question.

At the onset of an amateur's introduction into this hobby, he or she is deluged by offers of involvement, and with that ever present price tag. Joining ARRL or FISTS or a myriad of other superb organizations is an adventure unto itself. Many of these fine organizations present the amature an opportunity to immerse him/herself into the mainstream of the hobby, but unfortunately, find that the interpersonal nature of this hobby remains unfulfilled.

Naturally, the first purchase is frequently a brand new HT that is in reality a portable computer. I recall, as I looked at my first HT, I was puzzled about what repeater system was best for me. Some ancient instinct told me there had to be more than one in the area, and above all, how to make the damn thing work....how to get on the air and talk to someone. I went it alone....and for that I am regretful. The first thing I should have done was find a club where others like me had gone through the solo introduction so that they could slap me into reality. Amateur radio requires numerous technical skills at the onset of the adventure that some of us have never been called upon to develop.

Finally, after coming to my senses, and at the recommendation of my twin brother (who had also gone it alone years before) I joined a local club....my second mistake. Naturally, being a solo creature, I failed to ask around and find a club that had similar priorities and objectives that fulfilled mine, and further, that was friendly and accepting of new hams. Friendly and accepting are interesting concepts, and not necessarily in concert. Don't make the same mistake that I did, shop around. Make it a point to try out neighboring clubs just as you would a new pair of shoes. Find one that fits you comfortably.

Some clubs are filled with political undercurrents, cliques, and controlling personalities. And some, are so devoted to one ideal that they tend to ignore the myriad of facets within this hobby. If your true love in this hobby is SSB, you probably won't fit well into a club that is filled with a gaggle of crusty old CW operators. If you aren't interested in working that elusive DX but do have an undying interest in Packet or PSK-31, again you have a bad fit.

Clubs foster an interest in many differing personal interests, and many are open and sharing organizations. When you need an antenna put up, members are there for you, and in turn, the social adventure of assisting them in raising that new beam is personally rewarding. The interpersonal interaction between fellow amateurs is perhaps the most important and rewarding facet of this hobby, and the club is that answer.

Frequently, new amateurs fail to thrive in this hobby because they feel unaccepted, or remain unstimulated by interaction between themselves and their peers. Reading QST or CQ magazine provides the new amature with technical stimulation and exposes one to the many varied topics that the hobby provides, but it remains an individual pursuit. Interestingly enough, as Field Day weekend approaches, those individual pursuits suddenly become club pursuits, and the political factions pale before the ultimate club goals. Interpersonal interaction escalates, individual goals become club goals, and individuals become members of a team. Yesterday the individual may have gone head to head with his club member for that distant DX entity, but today, they're suffering a common goal....THE CLUB!

Yes, finding the best club can be an arduous task, but successfully finding the club for you is imperative and rewarding. Unfortunately, in rural America, or on an exotic island across the world, severely limit your choices, but make that choice. You will be amazed at the number of friends you will acquire, and the enormous changes to your social environment. Suddenly, you will discover that the few friends you have will grow into an unlimited supply, and your initial instincts about the hobby were wrong. We aren't individuals, were members of a hobby that spans the social-economic strata across the world.

Seek out a club, and test drive it. Try out as many models as you can, and make a comittment. You'll be rewarded beyond your wildest expectations.

Frank/N7UO"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.