ad: ProAudio-1

The Burnsville Burper gets BUSTED!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N0MRR, Mar 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KB9PET

KB9PET Ham Member QRZ Page

Well well as far as toghening requirements that wont resolve it.However it is people like this who give us a bad rep..Revoke this guys license?....... absolutely yes!
    unfoutunately there are many people out there even amatuers who do not use good sense.It is not the licensing protocol that needs changed...I say good for the courts excellent job the more cases that are prosecuted the more clear the message gets across to would- be violators.

2. KY7F

KY7F Ham Member QRZ Page

One of the posts here mentioned "never hearing any freebanders on 10m". Monitor 28.305 Mhz for a while. Many times, this frequency sounds just like 27.185 Mhz, bristling with tons of overlapping AM carrier whines. Occasionally, you can actually make a legal SSB contact on 28.305, but you'd better be running a little power to get thru all the garbage. Occasionally, a potty-mouthed freebander will come on and tell you to get off his frequency, even though you have full legal access to it. (I guess I may have been interfering with a 'Worked-All-
    Truckstops QSO Party' in progress...sorry guys&#33[​IMG]. Occasionally, you'll get to hear freebanders providing sound effects like barking dogs, meowing cats, mooing cows, the re-broadcasting of music, and the ubiquitous heavy reverb with echo. There's a freebander that recently has been putting his infant daughter on the air...you get to hear her say, 'mommy', 'daddy', and lots of really cute cooing. Many times, if you just listen, you'll get to hear some really good conversation topics! (For example, the freebanders don't worry about what kind of wx it is, or what kind of rig you have. Instead, you'll hear discussions about the latest condx at various truck stop bathrooms, graphic sexual topics, the location of police on the highway, etc.) Another good frequency that pops-up on occasion is on 28.060Mhz. I've had several instances where freebanders (in all cases they were potty-mouthed truckers...sorry guys, but it's true and I have the tape recordings to prove it) get on with massive AM carriers when I'm in the middle of a DX 2xQRP CW chat. Also, listen-in on any of the frequencies between 28.100-28.200Mhz when the band is open and you'll get to hear 'em. Have your rig in SSB/CW Mode, tune the band, and listen for the AM carrier. I guess this would be my recommended "Beginner's Guide To Learning Freebanding".

(By the way, I am not bashing truckers with this. I work mostly cw and frequently work truckers on the road who do cw...great guys and great mobile cw ops!! Unfortunately, most (but not all) of the freebanders I hear are truckers.). Have fun monitoring and hope this helps!!

KY7F

3. KB1HWH

KB1HWH QRZ Member

HI there,

You know after reading some of the responses by SOME individuals, it would come across as some guys don't want ANYONE new in this hobby what so ever. I was under the impression that this was just that, a hobby. Where people with all kinds of backgrounds can come together and create a service that's the main line for innovation, protection, and good clean fun. Without new guys, well the hobby would just die out. Just because the questions for entry level are simple, doesn't mean that anyone who passes them are a moron. Some of us are working real hard to make it and advance in this hobby. In fact, speaking for myself, I know I am working real hard right now get my general under my belt so I can use CW. And if the entry level test was as difficult as the extra class license, I'd still study extra hard for it to get into it. I, however, certainly don't agree in making the entry level test any harder. I do believe in however the FCC taking more severe steps for enforecment. These priate broadcasters not only hinder effective and safe public safety communitcation, they are hurting those of us who are scanner buffs, who are going to lose out when everything is digital and our pockets are empty! OK Anyways back to my point, I hope there isn't a soul among us here who thinks that just because someone is just a new no code tech class licensee, he isn't a "real ham", because that attitude alone would turn me and several others, who are in this hobby legally and legitimatley, away.

OH and by the way, its much easier to just learn the material than it is to just learn the correct answers to a question pool. When you know the stuff, the answers jump out at you anyways.

Unless your like me and freeze at taking tests, even when you know the material.

ok :Rant mode off:

--MIKE

4. W9YZR

W9YZR Ham Member QRZ Page

Time to get the old Wouff Hong out, and let 'im have it! [​IMG]

73!

Bill K0ZL

5. KD6SWR

KD6SWR Ham Member QRZ Page

I remember my old CB days... when I was scared to death to take my Grant in for repair, just in case it was modified and illegal....  turns out it was !
    and the store owner was a ham, told me I could do one of two things... stand in the corner and wait for the authorities, or "take this book home and study it, there's a test next month and your taking it. I'll make some calls and get you an Elmer, until then stay off the CB and study that book."  Man was I scared...  but I studied my butt off and here I am now... recently upgraded to Gen and loving HF (I also can't abide VHF on up, just like CB) the only thing I dislike about HF is the buttheads, we all know who most of them are, and through fox hunts and direction finding techniques, we can get pretty dang close the their QTH... I was having a ball with my first CW QSO, until .......   yeah you guessed it    7.135 became an AM broadcast station, by by WB9YJE too much QRM to copy
    Do we have to put up with this kind of thing?
    what happened to being scared of loosing your home and cars?  
    Where are the enforcers we all hear very little about?
    I've cut more than one wire on a jamming station in my time, and RG-8 with a couple hundred watts behind it sparks pretty good... might not be legal for me to do that, but damn does it feel good to get a couple days of good DX and no QRM....
    got my eye on another station, being a pain, kinda like the guy this article was about... snip snip
    Whew, that was long winded...
    73's and take care CUAGN
    KD6SWR
    Gareth

6. Guest

Guest Guest

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (kb7ntl @ April 07 2002,11:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ab9dz @ Mar. 30 2002,18:37)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Whats the problem? They busted the guy.Case closed. No extra $ needed. There will always be idiots out there, no matter what anyone does.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Well put.

When I grow up I want to join the DX police.

Shoot those guys who mess up and make a mistake.

Take their dignity and lambaste them publicly. (kidding)

Do we need to lighten up?

I've had my share of trouble with interference as a net manager, in the past. They get caught. They get sentenced. They pay the price.

Giving them attention is what they want.
    Good job.

I'll admit to a couple mistakes operating. Is anyone perfect?

I take exception to the ham who compared these types to those who make operating mistakes.

Not even the same ballpark.

Those who complain, I hope they can perfect cloning.
    Then you can have perfect hams just like you to talk to.

Of course, you won't have anything to complain about.

I am sorry, and I hope nobody takes offense, but I believe (in MY own opinion) that a plethora of whining makes our "art" less desireable than the occasional reprobate who uses the equipment maliciously. I know if I looked in here before I pursued the hobby, I'd think "wow, what a bunch of grouchy old bitter farts".

Don't get upset. If you are, then I guess this pair of shoes is for you.

I am saying, in a typically rambling manner, is that this hobby, as is our country, is made up of individuals. We are all essential to the sum. Check your polarity and ask yourself which way you lean.

Whining won't destroy anything. But it wont build anything either.

Agree or disagree with me if you like.

I've said my piece.

Now, to go practice operating split, or whatever I need help with.

P.S. There are some good posts here. Very realistic. You know who you are.. hi hi[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I agree , some young person see's all the name calling on QRZ and might possible get turned off to Ham Radio before he starts. I know I would of had reservations if i owned a computer when i got my first license(who knew).
    I wasen't expecting to cause so much trouble by becoming a ham so i try to keep a low profile.I hope I spelled all my words correctly i would hate to be called a moron for a spelling error. [​IMG]

P.S. I need all the pratice i can get too.

7. N0PFY

N0PFY Ham Member QRZ Page

8. N0MRR

N0MRR Ham Member QRZ Page

This was reported on the TCRC website as follows:

Tuesday, April 23, 2002

Burper gets 120 days
    Aaron H. Goldberg, the Burnsville hacker also known to TCRC members as the “Burper,” was sentenced to 120 days in jail, 60 days of electronic home monitoring, and five years of probation by the Dakota County court on April 23,2002. He is also prohibited from having “any radio or computer software” that is capable of transmitting.

Mr. Goldberg, KBØTUJ, plead guilty in Dakota County Court on February 22, 2002 to obstructing the legal process in connection with breaking into police communications during 2000 and 2001.

Mr. Goldberg was called “The Burper” by TCRC members because of his habit of making vulgar sounds on various repeaters including the 147.21 machine. Articles relating this information appeared in the April 24, 2002 editions of the Saint Paul Pioneer Press and the Minneapolis StarTribune.

9. aa2pr

aa2pr Guest

If it were up to me ,and i caught you intentionally doing this. I would take your license forever. Police communications are vital to safety and protection of all citizens and non citizens. they risk their lives every day [​IMG]

10. KF6LIL

KF6LIL QRZ Member

That's one of the reason's why that police agencies are switching to digital communication's. Give that person a fine.Look do not modify your radio's or unless you get into army/mars. [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.