ad: Alphaant-1

The Burnsville Burper gets BUSTED!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N0MRR, Mar 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. N0MRR

N0MRR Ham Member QRZ Page

The "Burper", as called by members of the Twin Cities Repeater Club (TCRC), to be sentenced Tuesday, March 19, 2002.

The infamous Burnsville Jammer, otherwise known to the TCRC members as the "Burper" entered a guilty plea to obstructing the legal process because of his repeated interference with police andemergency radio communications on February 26, 2002. The Saint Paul Pioneer Press article describes his court appearance. He is scheduled to be sentenced in Dakota County Court March 19th.

The Star-Tribune article covered the same ground.

http://www.tcrc.org/articles/jammer.html
    From The Saint Paul Pioneer Press, Tuesday, February 26, 2002

BURNSVILLE

Man admits breaking into police radio calls

A Burnsville man pleaded guilty Monday to obstructing the legal process in connection with repeatedly breaking into police radio communications, sometimes urging officers to shoot suspects.

Aaron Howard Goldberg, 32, will be sentenced in Dakota County District Court on March 19.  Goldberg could not be reached for comment.

Since at least April 2000, Burnsville police and fire, along with several other public safety agencies, experienced unauthorized radio communications on their radio frequencies, according to the criminal complaint.  Burnsville officials documented about 25
    incidents they believed were caused by the same hacker.

On February 4, 2001, a Burnsville officer heard a male voice on the air say "You betcha" and noted that the transmission was extremely clear, causing the officer to suspect that the source of the transmission was close by.  Just after hearing the transmission, the officer saw a car that was one of the suspected vehicles involved in the radio transmissions.

Officers observed the driver take a handheld radio transmitter and place it in front of his mouth.  At that moment, officers heard a male voice over the radio that appeared to have used an obscenity.

When stopped by police, Goldberg said he had broadcast on the Burnsville emergency frequency "more times than he could count on his hands," according to the criminal complaint.  When asked why he did it, "Goldberg stated that it was just stupid."

--Amy Sherman

Webmaster note.  Unfortunately, Mr. Goldberg is a ham, KBØTUJ

Editor's note: The status of Mr. Goldberg's amateur license, KBØTUJ, is a bit confused. The FCC database lists KBØTUJ as "active" however the following two enforcement letters are on file at the ARRL web site:

March 27, 2001
    Aaron H. Goldberg
    105 Chancellor Manor
    Burnsville, MN 55306-4959
    Subject: Amateur Radio License KB0TUJ
    Notice of Requirement for Re-Testing

Dear Mr. Goldberg:
    Pursuant to Section 97.519(d)(2) of the Commission's rules, 47 C.F.R. Section 97.519(d)(2), the Commission has the authority to re-administer any examination element previously administered by Volunteer Examiners (VEs). The Commission may either administer the examination itself, or under the supervision of a Volunteer examiner Coordinator (VEC) or VE designated by the Commission. Accordingly, we are requiring you to re-take the Amateur Technician Class examination (Element 2), under the supervision of the St. Paul, MN, office of the FCC, located at 2025 Sloan Place, Suite 31, Maplewood, MN 55117-2058. This examination must be completed on or before May 25, 2001. Please present a photographic identification and verify your current address when you appear. You must call me at 717-338-2502 to schedule an appointment. Pursuant to Commission rules, your license will be cancelled if you do not appear for re-examination.

May 11, 2001

Aaron H. Goldberg
    105 Chancellor Manor
    Burnsville, MN 55306-4959
    Subject: Amateur Radio License KB0TUJ Notice of Cancellation

Dear Mr. Goldberg:

By letter dated April 22, 2001, you submitted your Amateur Technician Class license to the Commission for cancellation. We will forward your request to the Wireless Telecommunications Bureau. Should you apply for an Amateur license in the future, issues surrounding allegations of radio interference to the Burnsville, Minnesota, Police Department may have to be resolved in order to determine your qualifications to hold an Amateur license.

2. N1ZTB

N1ZTB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

May I recommend CANING as a possible sentence?

Erik N1ZTB
    erik@netree.org

3. N8ARY

N8ARY Ham Member QRZ Page

The only thing this has to do with Amateur Radio is that he was an amateur operator. The interference really has nothing to do with Amateur Radio. Anyone can get equipment and information that can aid in causing this type of interference.

It's a stupid thing to do and I can't begin to think of why someone would try a stunt like that.

It's not too much different from the person or people who cause harmful interference to the 20 meter Maritime net. Recently, there was a boat that had sunk or was sinking and I heard at least three stations "tuning up" on the frequency while the coast guard was communicating with a nearby relaying vessel.

I just can't believe this guy was actually sitting there in plain view while he did this. It's too bad everyone who interferes with other services doesn't do that. It would be easy to clean things up, I think.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

I agree with tightening the requirements for a license. I think eeveryone applying should be subject to a background check, a pyscological evaluation. It might also be a good idea to throw in a spelling and grammar exam as part of the process.

[​IMG]

5. AA1MN

AA1MN Ham Member QRZ Page

Dear kc0mpp,

You may wish to reconsider your comment about toughening requirements for amateur radio applicants, especially when it comes to the suggestion of spelling ... "everyone" has only one "e" at the begining of the word, not two!

Oops!!!  

[​IMG] Just couldn't resist!!!

Sincerely,

Chuck
    AA1MN

6. VK7NCW

VK7NCW Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (aa1mn @ Mar. 27 2002,18:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Dear kc0mpp,

You may wish to reconsider your comment about toughening requirements for amateur radio applicants, especially when it comes to the suggestion of spelling ... "everyone" has only one "e" at the begining of the word, not two!

Oops!!!  

[​IMG] Just couldn't resist!!!

Sincerely,

Chuck
    AA1MN[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Hello aa1mn,If you are going to berate kc0mpp on his spelling,which is so obviously a typing error,then maybe you both should be berated on another spelling mistake.What does pyscological mean?It's not in my dictionary.He spelt it wrongly,you missed it,probably because you also thought it was the correct spelling.Surely the subject was about the misuse use of radio equipment and not on spelling mistakes.                 OOPS,sorry,just couldn't resist.                                  Paul VK7NCW Tasmania,Australia.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

[​IMG] KCØMPP:

Live aut thu speeln & gramor plouse! i dun dus thim gud.

73 de Craig............KCØGOA [​IMG]

8. Guest

Guest Guest

For the masses, idiocy is much easier than intelligence.

9. NF2C

NF2C Ham Member QRZ Page

Another unbelievable act and unfortunately by a so-called ham operator!! I don't really know about toughening up our licensing as the majority (unfortunately) seems to be against that! But how about some real enforcement??? The FCC has no funds, SO GET SOME!! Especially in all these cases which can be proved! I for one was never against paying a small fee to maintain my ham license. I know I may get jumped on for that comment, but I would be willing to pay $10 or $25 per year, ONLY IF IT WERE USED FOR OUR RADIO SERVICE!!! What is it worth to you. I drove 2 1/2 hours three times to an FCC office in Bucks County Pennsylvania from Southern NJ to get what I got. I certainly am no better than the newer hams, but a problem surely does exist! Catch the violators and get something out of them!!
    **Just my opinion!
    Murph

10. N2RJ

N2RJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Boy is this dude stupid.  Ya don't mess with da po-lice.

11. N1RKT

N1RKT Ham Member QRZ Page

Some food for thought here. As we all know but may not be willing to admit our hands have been cut off in regard to 10 meter operation and the CB trouble makers getting our equipment. Now the FCC regulations do nothing but drive up the prices for the 10 meter mobile that used to be a good deal for mobile ect. like the 2510's. This radio is now a crime to own or operate evn in its legal use. Now here is the real scvarey part what happens when the CB trouble discovers that 99% of the HF gear can be modified for 11 meters and 99% of the VHF and UHF can be worked to go anywheres, buttom line is the FCC will kill us to get at them! Watch out! When the FCC gave up legal control over 11 meters it went wild and out of check, kind of looks like the same route amatuer radio is taking. The ticket takes no real study to get anymore, the 2 meter bands in some parts of this country are worse than ch 19 on the chicken radio. I drive over the road and end up shutting the 2 meter off more and more all the time just to avoid listning to the HiPower CB of the elite. Bottom line is if we don't start policing ourselfs more the, it will be a crime to be a HAM! Don't mind the typo's I have had my head burried in the books for the last 72 hrs getting ready for my extra GOD HELP ME!

'73 Tracy N1RKT

12. K0FCC

K0FCC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't believe that Mr. Goldberg should ever get the chance to get an amateur licence again after the jamming. Even the jamming on the ham band has decreased since he was caught. He should find a new hobby like making license plates.

13. K0FCC

K0FCC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

MR. Goldberg was jamming public safety communications and for that, he should never get the chance to have an Amateur radio licence again. He should get some experience making licence plates if you know what I mean. He was also suspected of the jamming on the ham bands here in the Minneapolis area since the jamming has reached an all-time low after he was caught. The jamming of public safety frequencies is just that, Public Safety. He gave "Ham Radio" a bad name, and could have caused a life threatening situation by jamming.

14. N5RLR

N5RLR Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (n1ztb @ Mar. 27 2002,17:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">May I recommend CANING as a possible sentence?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Caning?  No...a judicious application of a 2x4 upside
    the head would get the point across. [​IMG]

15. W5KRM

W5KRM Guest

The FCC use to be an agency that was revered and feared by the amateur community because they enforced rules and regulations and clamped down on offenders. Remember the reference to the "white van " with the antennas cruising a neighborhood, etc. ?

Well, due to budget cuts, etc., they have had most if not all of their teeth pulled. As a result, the ham population was forced to endure the likes ot WA4D(WA4-Dog), KV4FZ, Rain Coat Charlie, Wb2OTK, etc., etc. Some were busted, some are no longer licensed, etc. But, there are still a good number of losers out there who insist of having a captive audience to spew out their rhetoric to, idiots who do just at this loser did, jam police frequencies, repeaters, nets, DX operations, you name it.

It is up to us to become more involved. Report individuals suspected of jamming, etc., and keep on the Feds to take action, to at least investigate. They have been doing some enforcement, but it is a drop in the bucket. Lowering the standards by which to obtain a license won't help matter much either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.