ad: CQMM-1

The ARRL Letter, March 1, 2018

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WW1ME, Mar 1, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

There are many examples of ham radio operators passing the entry level exam at a very young age. In just one quick internet search I have found lots of examples of 7 to 12 years old hams. A local club in this area had a 14 year old ham who held a General Class license. There is another example of an 8 year old girl in Oklahoma (KK4BFK now KI4DS) who passed the Extra Class examination. I think there is lots of evidence to support the notion that the examinations are not excessively difficult for persons with sufficient interest and motivation.

I am a firm believer that the amount of respect a person has for any endeavor is directly related to the effort and time required to participate. Respect for the service is quite vital to the Amateur Service and our continued cooperative shared use of our frequencies. No other communications service regulated by the FCC has the freedom of choice we have in the Amateur Service. Frequencies range from the Low Frequency (LF) to Microwave range and nearly an unlimited number of transmission and propagation modes. We also have the freedom to choose what level of participation is compatible with our overall life’s obligations which also includes what class of license we choose to earn in order to be granted the privileges we desire. In the same manner that a hard working wage earner can usually be expected to use his or her hard earned wages more responsibly than someone given a handout for doing absolutely nothing, an Amateur Radio operator who earns greater privileges by demonstrating they put study and effort into passing progressively more comprehensive licensing exams will naturally have greater pride in accomplishment and a desire to be a responsible operator who will want their service to remain healthy and thrive.

The ARRL Petition cites that new licensees under 30 years of age are too few; many don’t participate actively; renew their license prior to expiration or pursue higher license classes. I for one am not convinced that the lack of additional HF operating privileges is one of the contributing factors to these problems. The ARRL expresses their belief that expanded HF privileges will help the Amateur Service compete with other technical avocations to capture and retain a new licensee’s interest and motivate them to stay engaged, active and advance in license class. Technician class licensees operating privileges currently include digital voice, analog voice, data modes, meteor scatter, EME, terrestrial repeaters, reception and decoding satellite telemetry from the Fox series of satellites to assist engineering students at technical universities, communicating with the International Space Station via the bulletin board service and through APRS position reporting and messaging, as well as terrestrial APRS systems for vehicle tracking and location (there are many more examples but I’ll limit the list). I believe there is plenty of opportunity to challenge the technical capabilities of a newly licensed Technician under the current rules. The ARRL apparently believes these are activities far too mundane to satisfy the technology apatite of new technician class licensees.

I am all for increasing users of the HF bands. But I don’t think expecting a small commitment of study and examination is too much to ask. I just believe if the new licensees are unwilling to commit as much as 8 year old KK4BFK did, then they probably won’t, as the petitioner put it, “stay engaged” anyway. But for those that will put that small amount of effort into study, and take and pass the exam, I believe they will be more likely to stay engaged. But if nothing else, they will surely feel more pride of accomplishment and treat their new privileges with greater respect.

KU4NJ, KB2SMS, KR3DX and 1 other person like this.
  2. AE7BT

AE7BT Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you WU8Y. A thousand times thank you! I was a fool, an utter I’ll-informed fool, but then you came along with your brilliant, thoughtful, post to enlighten me. The scales have fallen from my eyes, all thanks to you, my wise friend.
    I’ve reversed my opinion on this matter; I’ve done a complete 180.

No, that’s not true. I have read the petition. I still think it’s wrongheaded.
    (The data re-allocation I have no real problem with. Techs on the band is another story)
    Do not assume you are the only knowledgeable person here.
    Wow, how did that sarcasm get in my coffee?

KU4NJ and ND6M like this.
  3. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Err,............. Techs ALREADY have "a taste of what you can do when you upgrade to General..."

I ain't drinkin the koolaide

KR3DX likes this.
  4. WB4M

WB4M Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Welp.. wonder why there are so many Technican Class license holders? Because - The ARRL, for the past few years if not decades, has been ramming EMCOMM, D-Star, etc etc down the throat of ham radio. No wonder they haven't upgraded, they have be brainwashed to think the sole purpose of ham radio is to support your local CROP walk, bicycle race, and to help REAL emergency comms such as police, etc. So now, the ARRL is looking for a solution to their own problem.

KU4NJ, KB2SMS and K8BZ like this.
  5. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

6. KC8IEH

KC8IEH Ham Member QRZ Page

I can see where this is going, it’s going to start getting personal, it’s going to be a tech liscense debate, I guess I should have not posted anything here since I am just a tech holder, I will delete my former post and won’t bother/post here anymore, 73’s to all.

7. KR3DX

KR3DX Ham Member QRZ Page

WHAT!!!! No 20M priviledges???? How about when a Tech buys a new rig with a touchscreen, we just give him an Extra Class license? Buy one that he can operate from his smartphone, and his entire family gets a license, including the cat or dog.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
    KU4NJ, K5KNM and ND6M like this.
  8. W8LV

W8LV Ham Member QRZ Page

I wish we could go to at most, a "Two Tier" licencing system. It certainly seems to work elsewhere. Couldn't we just quit the "frequency segregation system" completely? What purpose does it serve?

Actually, I could see where just ONE Amateur Radio Licence would be okay. There are so many avenues to persue in Amateur Radio. When CW got tossed, we got more CW ops. People are not learning today in a "Linear" fashion (no pun intended) And we've done fine without a Novice and Advanced class for years now.
    And the former Novice "use it or lose it" from years before that just made it difficult for people who say got that in their teens and then had "Life" get in the way, only to resume Amateur Radio in mid (or later) Adulthood. How many of these folks did we "lose" along the way? Please, let's STOP with the "Amateur Radio is dying out because everyone is in their fifties" tired old saw: There are always going to be 40 somethings who will become fifty somethings...it happens in a regular progression, as it has since the beginning of Humans. I would argue that the "Graying of Ham Radio" simply reflects the larger US demographic.

Having "classes" of licenses restricted to certain frequencies reminds me of the ineffective US School system: First Grade, Seond Grade, etc. We would be better served, I think, in something more akin to a one room schoolhouse, where everybody learns from everyone else. We have Elmers. We have now numerous sources and avenues of information on our wonderful avocation available via todays television a.k.a.YouTube even on a weekly basis. And Podcasts. And Web Sites.And Blogs. Its all out there free for the taking.

Some people say that Radio's Golden Age was in the 1930-1950 Period. But we have more stations today than ever. I say if you look to the other side of the Radio Coin, Amateur Radio's Golden Age is Right Now. Never before has there been so much information available, more equipment at reasonable cost adjusted for currency than today. We have more modes and more avenues of exploration today than ever, and ways to make a difference in our Communities. Commercial Radio? It's not going to "fail", either. Instead, it IS going to change, and for the better. Certain Boardrooms and Powers that be? They're not going to be here tomorrow.
    But radio? It's going to keep reinventing itself, as it always has.

In this refeshing, nonlinear educational garden, it's time to put the linear notions of licensure to bed.
    It's the best way for us to hand the Baton to the next generation. They will remember us for what we did do, and didn't do, on our watch.

I've got NEWS for certain self-important people who hold "Higher" Licenses and are all stuffed up in their own self importance: The whole Amateur Radio "Class Hierarchy is a joke. The kids know better. So stop kidding yourself.

73 and All the Best!
    DE W8LV Bill

9. WA6Q

WA6Q Ham Member QRZ Page

I seldom post here or anywhere for that matter however; as a young boy growing up in the San Francisco Bay Area I was surrounded by some very advanced electronic wizards who set standards for me when I was 9 years of age. Several of these people were licensed Amateure Radio operators and I respected what they were. They gracefully shared their knowledge in a gentle way, because they knew they were sowing seeds for a young mind. I was impressed with what I learned and what I had observed. I always knew I would someday become a licensed Amateure Radio operator and join a fraternity of very special people. I was young and I knew I was facing an uphill battle because I knew what the "qualifications" were in order to prove that I was worthy of joining this special fraternity.

I was delayed in accomplishing this goal until I was in my late twenties. I met a very stanch Amateure Radio operator who was a former Marine and a very disciplined man. He took the time to provide the guidance I truly needed, for that, I am truly grateful and I earned my way to my first Amateur Radio Novice license. Time forward, and passing the additional examinations at 555 Battery Street, San Francisco, under the view of Mr. Marti Vollkoff was unnerving. I recall the drive home after failing several times and pondered how I would study harder and gain calming discipline to prove to this FCC administrator that I was a candidate who truly was worthy of carrying a U.S. Amateur Radio license.

Now...three years pass.

Passing an Extra Class code examination on the third floor, with fourteen foot ceilings and the windows open, flooding the room with city traffic below, was a nerve wracking experience. The theory portion was actually easier than the Advanced Class portion, that I had earned two years earlier. I failed...and the secretary administering the exam, Miss Susan Self, was always so cheerful to announce "your name and call sign" loud and clear for all the examinees to "know" who FAILED ! My third time trying was finally a success. I felt vindicated and as I walk down those steps at 555 Battery Street I was proud to know I had truly earned my classification.

This was all 37 years ago...I am now a 65 year old man who knows and remembers the standards and qualification level required to earn my tickets. I stand proud of my achievements to this very day. I continue to strive and develop technical excellence each day and represent the Amateur Radio Fraternity with pride.

The ARRL has not served me well. I strived to become qualified, and since the late 1980's I have observed the standards of excellence to be diminished to a pathetic level. Our numbers were much less back in the 50's, 60's and 70's...our numbers today have grown. The old school of thought was "quality" NOT "quantity"...how can such an accomplished community have fallen to such levels?

Examinations, where the answers are provided prior to the actual test being administered?

Eliminate the International Morse code for reasons of "too difficult" ?

Allow a comprehensive "dumbing down" of the entire process to provide the instantaneous "self gratification" element, to achievement?

Achievement of what?

I remember Al Hopkins ( my Elmer) saying to me when I complained, "This is pretty hard to do"...his answer..."Nothing worthwhile is easy"... he winked at me...and said, "Get to it boy...you've a long way to go". so...I did it !

Today, if I was a young boy like yesterday, and I observed Amateure Radio as it is NOW...I would walk away. There is no element of achievement, there is no pride in obtaining a piece of paper, the League has poisoned it's own well, with 30 years of dumbing down the qualifications to hold an Amateur Radio ticket.

This proposal is just an additional step of incrementalism to tarnish and eventually destroy the once worthy Amateur Radio Fraternity.

If you find yourself offended by this dramatic verbal rendering....perhaps you should cowboy up.

Respectfully and Pointedly
    WA6Q

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
    N8FXC, KU4NJ, W1XQ and 2 others like this.
  10. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow, You said a mouth full. I couldn't agree more.

11. W8LV

W8LV Ham Member QRZ Page

Perhaps you should switch to tea...

We could easily go to a two tiered "Beginner and Advanced licence. It works elsewhere. Or just a SINGLE licence.
    Or... we could just kid ourselves and have our Spectrum auctioned off to Commercial Interests for it's present underutilization. Because that's just one Spectrum Analysis Survey away, we must be cautious.

73 and All the Best!
    DE W8LV Bill

WU8Y likes this.
  12. W5WI

W5WI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Two words... Dumbing Down!

N0DZQ likes this.
  13. W8LV

W8LV Ham Member QRZ Page

Four words...

Tearing Down Absurd Barriers.

73 and All the Best!
    DE W8LV Bill

WU8Y likes this.
  14. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep! Already happening on 3.3GHz, 24GHz, and 77GHz.

W8LV likes this.
  15. W0TDH

W0TDH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you for the reply.

I wonder how the FCC would feel about a Class Action or other Civil Litigation to stall out the Petition in it's tracks.
    Might they (FCC) feel the 94% of the Rank & File of the ARRL.....not to mention the balance of our 750K
    Non-ARRL Amateurs, Do Not Want the Petition to proceed and discard it out of hand?
    Just because the ARRL took it upon themselves to submit a Petition, based on 6% of membership,
    does not mean the the remaining 94% of our Membership wants this to happen.
    Withdrawing the Petition at this point, IMHO, would be an excellent idea. Very prudent indeed.
    I can assure you that this is Not Locked in Stone and most certainly is not just "Water Under the Bridge."
    I worked very hard for what privileges I have.....for some, knowledge comes harder (that's me) it certainly was not easy to pass the tests or to drive 5.5 hours to KCMO (one way) and then to Pay for the Life Time Membership on Time Payment!
    No, I am not ready to Quit The ARRL.....even though excuses to do so abound. I grew up liking the ARRL
    and not about to give up now. How many years ago was I licensed anyway? Age 15/16 rings a bell.
    BTW, that is a day or two ago.....

Hiram would turn over in his grave if he knew what was afoot.....es.....so would my Elmer.....

Any brave Ham attorneys out their willing to organize the remaining 94% of our ARRL Membership.....
    and a percentage of the 750K of Non-ARRL Hams for the purpose of stopping this Petition in it's tracks?
    I trust we would garner a little more than 6% of the Membership's interest and the Data would
    be very narrow in scope and purpose. No way to misconstrue or stack the deck.

Hmmmmm.....just a thought.....CQ Magazine is still alive and well.....wonder if they have an attorney?