ad: Radclub22-1

The 3rd Annual YouTubers Hamfest for 2022... Chasing the Greyline

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK7HH, May 9, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KT5OT

KT5OT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

and you were being nice calling them clowns!

KI4UYA, N3FAA, KC3JH and 2 others like this.
  2. KT5OT

KT5OT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

the comments are always better than the actual content or lack of!

KB1MM, N3FAA, G7DAZ and 1 other person like this.
  3. N4CAX

N4CAX Ham Member QRZ Page

All the self proclaimed youtube phenoms in one convenient ignorable link.

W3ATT, KG7HVR, KI4UYA and 11 others like this.
  4. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

Youtubers Chasing the Grey Hairline

@KE0GXN dont forget to like, subscribe and smash the bell end to get those notifications, twit me on twitter, face me on facebook, my me on myspace and join our discord and patrion because its people like you that allow people like me to make shill for loots.

VK5FUSE, KG7HVR, N3FAA and 5 others like this.
  5. K5TUE

K5TUE Ham Member QRZ Page

I put a piece of masking tape over the subscribe button.

KG7HVR, N6SPP and N4CAX like this.
  6. KE0GXN

KE0GXN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Please don’t drag me into this one Rob….. :(

I purposely have been staying away from commenting on this “YouTubers Hamfiasco.”

Besides this Tuber is from your neck the woods OM…maybe you you should invite him to the next HKRC meeting. :p

VK5FUSE, KG7HVR and N3FAA like this.
  7. VK4HAT

HAHAHA, yeah i just could not help myself. In all seriousness though, I think this is one of their better ideas. It would be better if they went out and found other people to do the talking and the presentations, people who are actual experts on the subject matter rather than youtubers with an opinion on everything, but the general idea and concept is a good one and one i could get behind with a little tweaking here and there.

Last edited: May 16, 2022
    N4CAX, VK5FUSE and KE0GXN like this.
  8. K5QBF

K5QBF Ham Member QRZ Page

Saturday we have Yeasu, Icom, Larsen Antennas, DX Commander, to name a few. Reps from these companies signed up for interviews.

KC5HWB, VK5FUSE, KD5BVX and 2 others like this.
  9. K5TUE

K5TUE Ham Member QRZ Page

The 'Yaesu' rep might want the spelling corrected. Least we can do.

WN1MB, KB1MM, KG7HVR and 3 others like this.
  10. VK4HAT

The thing I really like about about the con's are the keynotes. There are a lot of talented hams out there who are working on big things for big companies. Hams are involved in GNUradio, Kicad, some have worked for SpaceX etc etc, having those kinds of people deliver keynotes on technical subjects that revolve around communications would certainly make this look more like an actual con rather than an opportunity for people to sell us stuff. You have a video of someone building a kit, I would rather see a state of the union from the GQRP or Jack Purdum et al explaining the revolutionary paint by numbers home brew rig he has designed, people who are actual movers and shakers in their respective communities.

Space weather, microwaves, dxpeditions, tv, etc etc, there are so many things where there have been advancements over the last 12 months that deserve an actual keynote and instead we more of the same youtuber brand advancement stuff. Like I said, this could be something really good that I could get behind, but its just not there yet. When there is so much really good stuff happening in the hobby, do we really need another video from Calum selling us an antenna?

VK6HIL, KI4UYA, HA3FLT and 1 other person like this.
  11. HA3FLT

HA3FLT Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree with all the piquing but I was going to prove the points to myself since I don't know some of them, and I must say that at least Dave Casler is different.

12. K0DUC

K0DUC Ham Member QRZ Page

Mr. Casler is a very good content creator, and has a lot to teach. Not the usual "Youtube personality" like many. However, his declining health has hurt the quality of his work, and has for some time. I think his earlier videos for the ham tests are fantastic and very helpful.

I think HRCC is actually a good resource for people coming in, and has done a good job with Discord and trying to bring in newer people. You don't have to love the methods, but can enjoy the results.

There are other good ones, it isn't all bad. And not everyone has to be doing full research papers on the ground breaking, cutting edge of radio. There is a place for lighter videos about simpler subjects and fundamentals for the greenhornes.

But, yes there are far too many "personalities" and these stupid conference call videos, or livestreams or whatever, where morons sit around and free associate and say nothing of value for an hour straight, plenty of fluff videos, instruction videos that don't actually instruct, and people who try to lead but are clueless.

They all can't be master eletrcial engineers with 60 years of radio experience. But, it would do many of them well to focus more on self improvement and becoming better educated on the subject themselves, and being more about educating others in the end. Not chasing views or the latest "social media trend" which has a negative influence on most.

G5TM, K9TDW, N3FAA and 1 other person like this.
  13. K4WSR

K4WSR Ham Member QRZ Page

Lol i will see if Bozo shows up on Youtube.

14. K4WSR

K4WSR Ham Member QRZ Page

Lol good one best laugh of my day. … and the CRTs all began to chuckle

15. W9RDC

W9RDC Ham Member QRZ Page

Lotta salty folks in this thread. While I agree that some of the ham YouTubers are shills, there are some pretty good ones that generate interest and enthusiasm in the hobby, regardless of whether or not seasoned hams find their content useful. Ham Radio Concepts is one of my favorites.

VK5FUSE and W7TRD like this.