ad: MLSons-1

Testing The New Military 2.0 Multiband Tuner Free HF Alpha Antenna

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N4CPR, May 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. N4CPR

N4CPR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You are correct Jim and the video is free to watch:)

2. N4CPR

N4CPR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you for watching what ever amount of the video you did watch as always it's free to watch and you can stop at any time you like. I enjoyed making the video and making a few contacts with a new antenna out of the bag and got got a great tan. Just posted a DMR video on my channel that's free to watch also:

3. K8VHL

K8VHL Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't hold your breath . . .

4. K8VHL

K8VHL Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

A few bad, and sometimes ignorant, eggs . . .

Last edited: May 19, 2017
    K4AGO likes this.
  5. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Jim, I think that wire would be more correctly called a radial wire and it's main function would be to be a counter-poise to the radiating element. Yes, there might be a small, but very small bit of directive activity mostly in the direction the wire is pointing. The amount would vary by band, being more pronounced the higher in frequency that you go.

Near Vertical Incident Skywave antennas work mostly on the low bands (below 8MHz) and depend on the signal direction mostly going straight up and being reflected almost straight back down again. This gives reliable local communications. In the video, you can see that the wire is way too low to be anything more than a radial, which helps the antenna to radiate and maybe be easier to match. Very little if any useful RF energy is being radiated from that wire.

But, if its all you have, then by all means have at it! After all, a poor antenna is still much better than no antenna!

K4AGO and KG7VTO like this.
  6. W6NYA

W6NYA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Interesting stuff--I went to the mfg site to see what they said about the NVIS element and this is what I found---learning stuff every day!

"Specifically designed for the Alpha Vertical & EzMilitary (TM) Antenna systems, the "NVIS Kit" from Alpha Antenna includes one element that adds horizontal polarization to your Alpha Antenna system. The kit enhances performance on all HF frequencies and also enables NVIS on the bands that very much depend on horizontally positioned active elements (40 & 80 meters)."

Sounds like they are saying its a combo of a "radial" as you mentioned, and provides NVIS capability on the lower frequencies as well.

Anyway, I plan to use it in the field again in the next week or so, as I have a new field transceiver to shake out.

Jim
    W6NYA

7. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Look a
    Look at the two going at it! A pair of trolls and both will fight for the last word.:eek:

K4AGO and VK2DMH like this.
  8. VK2DMH

VK2DMH Ham Member QRZ Page

It seems to me the makers have no right then to claim this product is a "military" antenna.

9. VK2DMH

VK2DMH Ham Member QRZ Page

10. W6NYA

Not sure why. The term "military" is pretty genereic. According to their site, they sell "military style" antennas---probably its individual portability is why they call it that. Kind of a minor detail.

Can't be any worse than describing an antenna as a "bazooka" lol.

KA0HCP likes this.
  11. KW4HQ

KW4HQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Guys,
    Call it what it is. Common items.
    The elements are tent poles, just like these: http://tentpoletechnologies.com/?page_id=17
    The matching unit is almost the same as a comet 250b: http://www.g8jnj.net/cometcha250b.htm Research was done with this matching unit.
    Inside the first Alpha Match:

K4AGO, SGO1 and KA0HCP like this.
  12. W6NYA

Because no one EVER copies a proven antenna system, lol.

I have no interest in this other than finding a portable antenna that works for me, but honestly, if you want to bash this thing, go buy one and do a proper review. The matching unit in the video above obviously isn't the same as the one in Mike's review.
    Jim
    W6NYA

Last edited: May 21, 2017
    KC3GSI and N1UFO like this.
  13. W8QAS

W8QAS Ham Member QRZ Page

Right from AD's page:

14. KC3GSI

KC3GSI Ham Member QRZ Page

I believe Mike receives compensation/freebies for his videos. I suspect the same any reviewer that locks public comments on youtube. With that said , the new system does appear to be a marked improvement to their previous release. I would certainly enjoy the opportunity to test one myself.

K4AGO likes this.
  15. K4KWH

K4KWH Ham Member QRZ Page

I am well aware of the B & W all-band HF antenna. In some instances, due to the agency I am associated with requires the use of it, I am often "stuck" with that. However, I don't like the B & W. Yeah. it is "all-band", well..........................mostly, but can be finicky, presenting some wild SWR readings:(:eek: that are unacceptable to me. It is also a sloppy radiator. Its "grace" and most salient point is, it can be strung up sans tuner and "works" for the appliance operator. I am, however, not impressed with it.

Each operator has his own preferences, naturally. Given the choice WRT commercial HF antennas, I would choose the K1JEK Cobra Ultralite Senior over the B & W. This antenna provides 10-160 M coverage with some impressive results. Only 140 feet long, I was surprised the first time I tried one. Faced with a too-small lot for 160, I tried several alternatives--trap dipoles, a 160 loop. Just could not get the results I wanted.
    I combined it with an LDG AT 100 tuner and found it to be a very good combination. And I don't normally like tuners IF I can help it. But in order to work 160 within my real estate, I found this to be the best antenna for ME. And I also got great results on certain military frequencies outside the ham bands. (Yes, I am authorized!) I checked into several military nets (not MARS) with great copy. And the price is reasonable! WAY less than some of the supposedly "military grade" offerings.

Alas, storm got my antenna:(. It was a bad storm. What's going up in its place? Another Cobra Ultralite!!! www.k1jek.com. Check it out!;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.