ad: UR5CDX-1

Testing the Chameleon CHA MPAS Lite

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KK6USY, Nov 30, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KK4Z

KK4Z XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I guess if you really wanted to do a "Fair" comparison, you could rig the Chameleon matching unit as a dipole. I recently rigged mine (a micro) as a 130 foot dipole during a POTA activation. I made a 130 contacts from 160 meters to 15 meters (8 bands total) using a LDG Z-11 Pro tuner. On another activation I set the Chameleon Micro up as a vertical with one counterpoise and was able to work folks from Alaska to France. Both times I was in Georgia and running around 35 watts CW (mostly) and FT-8.

There are so many variables to consider with antennas. The best way to determine how good an antenna is, is to get out there and use it yourself.

KK4NTX and K1GC like this.
  2. KK4JI

KK4JI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This was tested in two configurations. It would've been nice to see pics of it in both configs as well as the reference dipole.

3. N9AEP

N9AEP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice A/B test, however, you did not ask what polarization they were using. And, you did not compensate for the difference between a vertical and a horizontal dipole, which differ in received signal strength by 3-9 db depending on distance and conditions.

4. AA8GK

AA8GK Ham Member QRZ Page

Note how the non-producers have the most to say about those who DO. Just sayin'. Great video!

5. AA8GK

AA8GK Ham Member QRZ Page

And, your point is?

6. KA0USE

KA0USE Ham Member QRZ Page

it depends on who is after you, the police or an angry wife!