ad: HamHats-1

Testing a modular man-portable go kit off-gtid

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by OH8STN, Jul 14, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. K7LZR

K7LZR Ham Member QRZ Page

I use a Surface Go at work. Our company isn't supposed to let employees use their own computers for work but they made an exception in my case and so I use my MS Go for that and also for ham radio. I have a couple of SDR programs along with some other radio related software on it. Rugged little computer and works great for both uses :).

2. W9MIC

W9MIC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

"If I could have all of my hemorrhoid apps on android..." Almost spit coffee out my nose. I think your "hamradio" was foiled by spellcheck auto-correct.

W7TCT likes this.
  3. W7TCT

W7TCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hah! I read it as referring to PITA apps. Didn't think of ham radio apps. Love it! [insert thumbs up emoticon here]

This is a great thread. I have enjoyed @OH8STN 's work for several years. His Yaesu 891 / FT-8 video got me started with FT-8 (that was a good thing, BTW).

WD4ELG and N3EDO like this.
  4. W7TCT

W7TCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

deleted

5. KK7Y

KK7Y XML Subscriber QRZ Page

6. KK7Y

Julian, another well though out and explained synopsis of the state of the hobby.
    As a previous poster noted, one way around the cable mess and the frailty of our radios is the green radio (military) route. I love operating in the field, generally SSB, and if weight is not a consideration (20 lbs) I often grab this Codan 2110. Unlike most military radios, Codans can come with a free tune HAM option so you can tune around the bands and not be stuck with chanallized operation. It is completely waterproof including the handset and battery, which will run for a couple days continuously. It runs at 25 watts, tunes anything, and can use an attached whip or coax antenna. All the controls are on the handset so you can drink beer and work the world! And for SSB it is self contained with NO external cables besides the handset and antenna. These are Australian radios, spendy, and are rare to see in the US although there is a US distributor. Although for what some hams spend on their home stations with amps and beams I'm surprised there aren't more around. Just another way to skin the cat.
    Keep up the interesting videos Julian, I always learn something. You've cost me plenty of $$ over the years..

PA0MHS, KL7KN and KF4VAR like this.
  7. KF4VAR

KF4VAR Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi KK7Y
    Curious if you have tried any digital modes on the 2110. I saw that radio in my browsing, certainly is attractive except for the weight...... also a somewhat lighter question.... does Codan provide, when you purchase the radio, a YL to 1)carry it and 2) take photos of the operator in repose using the radio in the field :) You should contact Codan to have them use your great photo in their ham specific ads :) Absolutely great photo! Where you are beats hell out of a thunderstorm at 11K feet with sleet.....was your photo a POTA activation?? :)

8. KK7Y

That activation was a Hot Springs on the Air at Jerry Johnson springs near the Idaho Montana border. The Codan will certainly do digital modes, although I've not tried it. One of the options is digital voice, which will one day likely supplant SSB if we ever adopt a standard for it. The military has a standard, and Codan has a proprietary one. Most of the weight of the 2110 is the bigass Nickel Hydride battery, but there are smaller lithium batteries if you wanted to shave weight. The advantage of the Nickel Metal Hydride is you can fly with them. And for the cost of the 2100 they should provide an YL to rub your sore shoulders from carrying their radio! Here is the Codan on Beartooth Pass at 9000 feet, working the world..

KF4VAR likes this.
  9. KK7Y

IMG_20220611_082122882_HDR.jpg

KF4VAR likes this.
  10. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

CODAN 2110 - $5,700.
    Ouch!

11. KK7Y

Same as a Flexradio 6600M,
    Cheaper than Elecraft KPA1500 $6949

12. KF4VAR

KF4VAR Ham Member QRZ Page

Here is the Codan on Beartooth Pass at 9000 feet, working the world..

This is somewhat similar to some of the high country here in Ecuador, glaciated volcanoes like Sangay and Cotopaxi and others but this looks like inside the arctic circle.......wow Montana just looked up Beartooth pass thanks very much for the great photo!!
    KL7KN ouch is right thats pretty pricey.....