ad: cq2k-1

"Take Your Handheld to Work Day." June 20

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KF4VGX, Jun 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. K4JF

K4JF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Exactly right. I would never be involved in a hobby that embarassed me.

And why do you present it in such a way that you get adverse comments? I never get them.

2. K4JF

That's bravo-sierra. When I point out that I can make contact anywhere (no "dead spots") and never have "dropped calls", it does make a positive impression.

3. K4JF

Like most hams (and especially those involved in emergency work), I do not have any of the above.

You're thinking of somebody else......

4. KC8WWX

KC8WWX Ham Member QRZ Page

I think it's a great idea,but I have to admit something. I work in the fire/EMS field and have a radio with me at all times.Outside of our frequencies,I can't seem to ever get anyone within our ranks even remotely interested in amateur radio.I am still attempting to get permission to put up basic antennas at our 3 stations so we can have an antenna drop for amateurs to use during a major emergency.I will give it my best shot,but it's the other end I am worried about.It makes me think at times I may be wasting my time.But they may learn soon enough.Xenia,Ohio has had 2 tornadoes and trouble with communications before.When it happens to us here to the north,then we'll see what works and what doesn't.Remember,as amateur ops,we are able to make do with what we have,where we are,when we need it(Thanks Teddy!).Have a great day!! :)

Kaci
    "Loyalty above all else except honor" [​IMG]

5. N4TCM

N4TCM Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry, I took my Yaesu Vx6R to work not long after I bought it at a hamfest. The rednecks I work with, who think two-way radio just consists of cb, made the comment: Is that yer cb thar Tim? Lowering myself to their level I quickly stated : "10-4 good buddy!".
    "How farcan ya talk on that thang?. Well, I said : "How far do ya wanna go?""Can ya talk to China?", of course I said yes. Watch where you take your handheld. The level of intelligence makes you appreciate the hobby.

6. WA2ZDY

WA2ZDY Guest

This brings up an interesting point. Those who DO have an idea what ham radio have usually heard that we can talk all over the world. But without VoIP you can't do that with your 2m handheld. In fact unless you can get a good signal into a local repeater, you won't get out more than a mile or so.

So when your co-worker says "my uncle was a ham and he used to talk to England all the time, can you?" what are you gonna do? Stutter? "ummmm . . . well . . . I . . . ah . . . " Embarrassing.

As I said above and add this to the list of reasons, your handheld is not the way to demonstrate ham radio.

7. WB4M

WB4M Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

"Remember  heres your chance to introduce the general public to Amateur Radio,also the opportunity to invite them to Field day the following weekend."

I think a better idea would be to invite your coworker to visit your home and see your complete station.  As others have mentioned, a 2 meter HT does not make the best impression.  
    I've had the opportunity to show off my HF station to a few curious folks, but none of them expressed a desire to get licenced.   But at least they know what ham radio is all about now, and it is much more than a HT.

8. wr1tx

wr1tx Guest

I also work in a hospital, with a lot of electronic equipment in place such as heart monitors and such depending on the area one might work and where two-way radio equipment of all types are prohibited. We also use a wireless charting network that uses the 2.4 GHz range, but that really isn't an issue here.

I do plan to incorporate having an HT or police scanner or both so I can monitor everything that is going on. Working on the 6th floor of a hospital on top of the highest location in the county sure won't hurt my reception for miles in all directions!

By showing such communications capabilities in the past, it has helped people know that someone was in the workplace that really was capable of reaching the outside world if needed. Of course, I had to explain these things at their level, and also tell them that certain information could not legally be passed on, especially to those who were involved in incidents that were overheard (arrests and other related items come to mind).

Now, whenever something occurrs outside the hospital such as a weather event or a serious accident, I'm usually one of the first to be called whether I'm at home or at work because I'm likely to know something about what was going on. But with anything concerning a patient at the hospital, I refer everything to the media director since I am not allowed to give any information about anyone.

Warren Rowe, WR1TX
    Temple, Texas
    SKCC #228 / FISTS #12064

9. WD8PCU

WD8PCU Ham Member QRZ Page

Special Message from the A.R.R.L. ?
    Oh! Really ?

What; that the F.C.C. has officially eliminated the
    Code Requirement?

Do you suppose that the A.R.R.L. is asking us to
    do some on the job free Advertising of this " Special Message".

Like the old gospel song " let us go tell it on the mountain".

Perhaps is the F.C.C. passing the Baton to the A.R.R.L.
    and they to the fellow Hams and likewise down the line?

Certainly since this issue seems to have travelled to the F.C.C in the reverse direction.

Let us all wait and see as we stay tuned for the Crystal
    Revelation this coming Tuesday. [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. KI4OBM

KI4OBM Ham Member QRZ Page

In response to some of the posts, I suppose I am fortunate. The 2 meter repeaters which I utilize are almost always devoid of any of the poorer CB-type conversations, and never use any of that jargon. Virtually all the other hams with whom I converse are higher license class amateurs (I am a recent Tech wishing to upgrade ASAP), who are very helpful with any type of advice I would want or need, both in one to one conversations and on the frequent nets in the area. As for my employer, I am the director of a health care concern which has numerous offices. All of our management is glad I have my license for the emergency communications aspect it provides, and I have gotten numerous questions from others in management, as well as a couple of people I supervise who are interested in pursuing their licenses. My HT doesn't work inside the building, but I keep it with me, anyway, as all I need is a venture closer to the outside to be able to use it in case I couldn't get to my mobile unit for some reason. One of the great things about Ham radio is that it is something akin to a buffet line. There should be something to like for everyone. It would seem to me that more people would/should be interested in it, but then, I suppose everyone with a hobby thinks the same thing. 73, Greg.

11. WA0ZOG

WA0ZOG Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow! I can't believe I've read all the way through each and every one of the posts on this thread, and only agreed with a handful of them.

I understand that some people may not have either a desire to take a rig to work, or the time to "play" with the rig at work (for lack of a better term, and there's got to be a better term), or the location to display the rig, or any other of a myriad of reasons to participate, but shouldn't we just decide for ourselves if we want to participate?

I will most likely participate, though I may not turn the rig on at all. I'll probably take it in to work and simply place it on my desk near a homebrew J-pole made out of 300-ohm bird ladder which would do a bang-up job if I really NEEDED to hit the local repeater from inside our steel RFI-filled building. I've got much more important stuff to do than play radio on Tuesday, like work, but I'll participate nonetheless, since I know that there are some people in the office that have asked me for more information, and this may be the catalyst that gets them headed in the right direction. And even if I happen to turn on my HT, at least in this area, our 2 meter repeaters fortunately aren't clouded with filth and garbage. We've got some excellent repeaters that are frequented by some really good operators, that would make for a fine demonstration. Guess we're just more fortunate than others, from what I hear as a generality.

BUT, I'll also take in a portion of my QSL card collection. Since I've been licensed for over 20 years, as I'm sure that several of the other posters in this thread have been, and I enjoy DXing like I do, I've got a few very interesting DX cards that make for some interesting conversation-starters should someone wish to ask. THOSE are a really good way to get someone interested in the magic of radio. Especially if they're from a DX-pedition to a location where there is no telephone and you were acquainted with someone on the trip. It really makes for a good story to tell the inquiring individual. I've got a couple of those in my collection, as well as a bunch from some of the special events that have come around, and those also make good showpieces. Also a good way to get people onto HF, since you can't often demonstrate HF inside work (unless you're set up to do that like a buddy of mine is). Of course, once the conversation has started, it can go in any direction that it needs to...public service, Echolink, Winlink, digital, 2 meters, etc.

And, as previously suggested, for those who are interested (and I'll be pointing this out as well), you can always direct those individuals to your field day site for a visit.

Just my $0.02, and you didn't have to pay for it, so remember, anything free is worth what you paid for it!

Mike - WA0ZOG, ex. KA9RQW

12. W2TTT

W2TTT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Gee Folks! If it would work in your work environment, then do it! If not, stop crabbing!

There are WAAAAAAAAAAAAY TOOOOOOOOO many folks with attitude problems commenting, making it clear to me (from the callbook data) that we have to replace cranky middle-aged men with more young people!

Our Boy Scout Troop has worked to license Scouts and we have three so far with another dozen in progress. They get on for all sorts of stuff including Skywarn, HF (I'm the control op for now), other volunteer activities and Troop functions. Two of the three are working on upgrading as well!

Field Day will be the featured activity of our Troop campout next weekend! To get parents excited, we are having a family BBQ for Saturday evening!

BTW: If you have a Scoutmaster, a couple of Assistants, and a few Scouts wearing HTs at meetings and on outings (along with cell phones, FRS and/or MURS radios), you'll see increased interest in Ham Radio because the range is better, the modes are more interesting and the outside folks are more interesting as well! I now have several adults planning to join the license course due to start the week after Field Day.

If you are worried about the locals on the repeater, then try Echolink and explain each of the different ways it can be used. When someone can reach another place via VoIP and radio interworking, and foreign accents start flowing through your HT, then you'll make some eyebrows rise!

Email me and I'll send anyone a two page reference sheet of how Amateur Radio complements Scouting Merit Badges. I used this as the basis for selling Amateur Radio to my son's school. I like the idea of bringing the rigs to school and we're in the process of getting a station built with both student and faculty enthusiasm! There are many interdisciplinary elements in Amateur Radio which can intrigue lots of DIFFERENT people, not just the bitter rants of bored, middle-aged, cranky men.

BTW: I’m 48 and decidedly “middle-age” in body and hopefully, not too often, spirit! HI! HI!

Vy 73,
    Gordon Beattie, W2TTT
    w2ttt@att.net
    w2ttt@att.com
    w2ttt@arrl.net

[​IMG]

13. KC8WWX

KC8WWX Ham Member QRZ Page

We'll see what happens after the date. :)
    But we do need more hams,especially with all these people taking CERT training.

14. WN4M

WN4M Guest

I will be doing this. Our area after going through Katrina, There was no communication. The people in our organization will see great value here.

I think all the skeptics out there possibly have never been in a need for it. My wife and I spent a lot of time on the road between New Orleans, La, and Austin Texas. Quite frankly cell service sucks between 2 automobiles. The ht's were indispensable.

15. AB1FV

AB1FV Ham Member QRZ Page

I take my HT to work everyday. (And it's not hidden in embarrassment!)
    You never know when another Sept 11th might happen! (God Forbid)

Some people have asked me about it, yet I get the feeling that the majority of people don't care.

It's nice the League is putting together the "HT To Work Day" Will it generate an interest in Amateur Radio?
    At my work, probably not.

My2c

AB1FV

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.