ad: elecraft

Sun sets new record for "spotlessness"

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K5XS, Dec 16, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W9EBE

W9EBE Subscriber QRZ Page

This concerns me as well. Although I am not presently a digital operator (I did enjoy VHF packet back in the 90s), I believe digital modes offer newbies a tantalizing taste of HF possibilities. Hopefully they won't become bored with those modes and hang in there for better things to come.

It's a great time to learn Morse code, too! :)

2. W0AEW

W0AEW Ham Member QRZ Page

JS8Call reminds me of VHF packet of yore.

3. A25SL

A25SL Ham Member QRZ Page

Even during the "Low - I am maybe just lucky to do 35-40 SSB contacts 21MHz daily across the globe.
    It is difficult more than other with 90% 57 - 8 9 and over reports both way. Guys I am just a believer in activity, if we don't call CQ no one will answer, even it sounds dead, there are contacts. 3.5 and 21 the only propagation in A2 land this moment, with very short openings Good luck GD X mast enjoy ! 73

4. VE4CY

VE4CY Ham Member QRZ Page

Spaceweather is a bit out with their claim of 270 spotless days... I was taking pictures of sunspots last May with a solar filter and a new camera that I bought back then.. I have a shot of sunspot 2740 taken May 8th (224 days ago). See below.. I put my shot next to the SDO image posted by NASA on their site to compare it with what the camera could do. (There have been a few more minor spots since then).

The low ham frequencies have been great lately. I take part in a chat group on 80 meters every morning. The quiet sun has given us strong QSB-free signals from all around for the last month.. That doesn't happen often. I also listen for WSPR beacons on 630 meters. I've managed to pick up low power stations from all over North America and even from Europe and Hawaii

spot-compare.jpg

W0PV, KQ6XA, W1YW and 1 other person like this.
  5. W9EBE

W9EBE Subscriber QRZ Page

Yep. And for that reason I'm kinda interested in that mode. It also seems to resemble the attributes of AMTOR/PACTOR in a way. I can dig that "error correction" thing (and other neat features); apparently it can be a conversational mode, as well. It sounds interesting.

Hmmmmm... it's got this old CW Nut (and former VHF packet geek) considering checking it out one of these days/months/years... We'll see...

Maybe that will be the digital mode that will ultimately help keep newcomers interested in Amateur Radio until Ol' Sol starts playing nice?

6. AE2B

AE2B Ham Member QRZ Page

hell with my 11 element log periodic I don't need to steenkin sun spots :)

VK6APZ/SK2022 and KA2FIR like this.
  7. DL6BCX

DL6BCX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Bonnie, would like to have your permission to use your sun spot graphic for my QRZ-page DL6BCX or DN4HW

8. KQ6XA

KQ6XA Ham Member QRZ Page

To VE4CY,

They say 224 total accumulated spotless days in 2019.
    Not 224 consecutive spotless days.

right?

There are rarely more than 50 consecutive spotless days.
    (Except for a few rare cycles in the early 20th century)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
    AK5B, KA2FIR and K2CD like this.
  9. KQ6XA

To DL6BCX,

Yes, you can use the graphic.
    Please include a link to the original article it appeared in: http://hflink.com/hforacle/

10. K2CD

K2CD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

KQ6XA likes this.
  11. N1FM

N1FM Ham Member QRZ Page

Correct:

Spotless Days, Current Stretch = 35 days
    2019 total = 272 days (77%)

spaceweather.com

THE SOLAR WIND HAS ARRIVED: Earth is entering a stream of high-speed solar wind flowing from a northern hole in the sun's atmosphere. This could cause geomagnetic unrest and enhanced auroras around the Arctic Circle on Dec. 18th and 19th.

[​IMG]

12. KQ6XA

KA0HCP and (deleted member) like this.
  13. KQ6XA

I've been saying this for a while:
    • Solar Cycle 24 had the worst propagation since HF radio was invented.
    You can quote me on that.

Now I'm saying:
    • 2019 was the worst year of propagation since HF radio was invented.
    .. and I have the data to prove it :)

W1YW likes this.
  14. M0KIA

M0KIA Ham Member QRZ Page

In looking through the messages regarding HF propogation, I am surprised that here in Europe no one seems to be trying much other than FT8 and similar modes. I can hear beacons on 40 through to 10 meters, some quite some distance. Is it a case of people believing there is no point in trying? 40 meters seems extremely quiet at present. 80 and 160 seem the busiest bands here.

AK5B and KA2FIR like this.
  15. KI6PMD

KI6PMD Ham Member QRZ Page