ad: elecraft

Summit Sleeping Systems, Bags and Pads for your Next SOTA trip

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KG5AHJ, Aug 10, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Have to love the guys who feel comfortable with wildlife. ;)

Once they stumble upon a mama bear and her cubs or a rabid yote they may change their minds. Moose in rut is another joy to behold too. We are too comfortable now but it wasn't too long ago when a big chunk of the population had to raise most of their own food. If that time comes again which I think it will soon there will be many rethinking their position.

M1WML and KK9W like this.
  2. KM1NDY

KM1NDY Ham Member QRZ Page

I need to finish watching this, but so far it is a very good discussion on sleep systems.

When I was a kid, i.e., pre-Internet, my media to learn the outdoors was Colin Fletcher, Campmor brochures, Backpacker magazine, the Boyscout handbook, and a book called "You can hike!" My point is, while nothing tops real life experience, learning about wilderness activities through the multimedia including YouTube sparks the imagination.

Mindy
    (20 degree and 0 degree bags...both used regularly).

W5ESE, M1WML and M0TTQ like this.
  3. K4YNZ

K4YNZ Ham Member QRZ Page

If you started out a Boy Scout and stayed a backpacker through your adult years you learn what works for you. What does not too. At 63 years young that sleeping pad is very important. At 19 it was excess weight.

M1WML and N1RBD like this.
  4. K6MTS

K6MTS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

With you on that old timer, started back when ensolite pads were all the rage, LOL

W5ESE, M1WML, AJ6KZ and 1 other person like this.
  5. K6MTS

K6MTS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Agree, still have a couple Colin Fletcher books, and I can visualize (iirc) that newsprint Campmor catalogs, lots of cool stuff offered.

M1WML, AJ6KZ, KM1NDY and 1 other person like this.
  6. W5ESE

W5ESE Ham Member QRZ Page

I used a 30F bag from Feathered Friends on the Colorado Trail. It worked very well for me, and seemed like a very well-made bag.

M1WML likes this.
  7. W5ESE

W5ESE Ham Member QRZ Page

My favorite of his is 'The Thousand Mile Summer'. He hiked the length of California in the 1950's, before backpacking and thru hiking became a "thing"

K6MTS, M1WML, AJ6KZ and 1 other person like this.
  8. K7GYB

K7GYB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It doesn't necessarily have to be "light"... I found an "old school" Alpine SlumberJack from the 1990s at GoodWill and it weighs 2.5 lbs. At 58 years of age I can still pack a 70lbs pack for 8-10 miles which enables me comfort that is beyond austere. Most of my summits are around 3-6 thousand feet from the trailhead here in the PNW. Most important is to research your trip and know what your physical limitations are and the technicality of the trail. Klymit is an awesome ground pad that is durable - I can lay on my side and not feel the ground all night and it takes only 12 breaths to inflate. If you lay it on rocks, sure it will rupture... I've always found an appropriate spot and improve it to level and smooth enough not to puncture the material. If you want to go light you will pay for it - I've got to have my comfort which means a comfortable and warm sleep. I see a pillow in the picture - not needed as all you have to to stuff your spare clothes into your stuff-bag and it works just fine.

W5ESE, M1WML and AJ6KZ like this.
  9. K7GYB

@ K0VWA Great advice! A lot of folks don't have outdoor experience and it's not hard to get into trouble. Here in the PNW there are all kinds of trails that lead to summits - established tourist trails and technical forgotten/off-trial trails. You're right, knowledge is the key to an enjoyable trip and a safe trip. Always good to go out with someone who is experienced if you haven't been deep or bothered to educate yourself and taken the time to develop the skillsets needed to survive and deal rationally with contingencies.

K0VWA and M1WML like this.
  10. K7GYB

See above...

M1WML likes this.
  11. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

My absolute favorite book growing up was my father's old Boy Scout Handbook from the 60s. I carried that thing nearly everywhere I went and it wasn't a small item. It was the same size and my Navy Bluejackets' Manual by Thomas J. Cutler.

M1WML, KM1NDY and WN1MB like this.
  12. KM1NDY

KM1NDY Ham Member QRZ Page

Mine too was my Dad's! I tried tracking down a replacement but it was not the same...

I don't think 2.5 pounds is that heavy for a sleeping bag, particularly if it is a 20 degree or less bag...so great find!

I cannot stand carrying more than 30 pounds of gear. My summer base backpacking gear is about 20 pounds, 25 with a bear can and food. My radio gear is 15+ pounds. My winter pack with radio gear is 40 pounds. My radio day pack gear is 25 to 30 pounds complete (with food and water). This includes gear for a dog with some collective items split between my husband and I.

I think light gear is worth the extra cost. Ultralight gear on the other hand can get ridiculously pricey to achieve weight weeny status. I did recently buy a GIANT dyneema backpack for winter though. I need to keep my gear below 40 pounds to be doable for me, so I shave off where I can. I do not like heavy backpacks.

If I just can manage to learn cw... (though I love 100 watts ssb on the hills!)

Mindy

Last edited: Aug 15, 2021
    M0TTQ, W5ESE, M1WML and 1 other person like this.
  13. AJ6KZ

AJ6KZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I would say use a bear container no matter what. Bears aren't the only thing that will try to ruin your trip by eating your food.

K0VWA and M1WML like this.
  14. AJ6KZ

AJ6KZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not taking a .44 magnum on my SOTA outings. :)

M1WML likes this.
  15. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

There is always .500 S&W :eek: No need in going QRP on both accounts. ;)

W2CPD, M1WML, WN1MB and 2 others like this.