ad: k1jek

Stumped at vanity call attempt

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WW0DN, Mar 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. WW0DN

WW0DN Ham Member QRZ Page

I recently upgraded my ticket to the Amateur Extra Callss. I decided that as long as I am going to be issued a new call sign, a vanity call might be in order. Since the call sign is being changfed anyway, why not attempt to get one that fits a little better, right?

I had no idea what kind of frustration was in store when I logged on the FCC site. I tried to do an online filing. I would have had a better chance of driving my Ford Ranger to the moon.

My first problem came with registering. The registration site issued me an FRN (registration number), then asked me to submit a password, which I did. But when I tried to access the license modification page, it asked for my call sign. No problem, right? -- Wrong!

The only call sign useable in this function comes in a drop-down window. Guess what? No call sign was in the window. I tried everything. Tried typing it in, but it wouldn't accept it. Tried getting a new FRN, but had the same results. Tried registering under the original FRN issued with the issuance of my license, no dice (it wouldn't even let me register under that number)

After HOURS of frustration, I quit. There are really only so many routes to take on that site and I had exhausted them all. I finally downloaded the paper forms and have resigned myself to go that route.

The one thing that I don't understand is, why is the FCC site so cumbersome? Why on earth can't you just pull up a form 605, enter the information, and submit it.

If anyone has had better luck that I did, I'd sure be interested in hearing about what you did to accomplish your goal. I'm certainly no computer wizard, but I can usually find my way around on any web site, and accomplish whatever task I attempt. But this one stymied me completely.

There just has to be a better way!

2. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder QRZ HQ Staff QRZ Page

The process is difficult because the FCC really doesn't give a hoot about amateur radio.  There is no political pressure to provide quality services for amateurs and no money.  What limited automation the FCC has is generalized so that they are able to process applications from dozens of different radio services using the same forms and equipment.  That's why the FCC forms on their web site list so many things that have nothing to do with amateur radio.

The best solution, by far, is to use the services of a VEC.  For ordinary updates and license changes, there is a fee of $6 to use a VEC.  Why use a VEC for $6 when the FCC let's you use their website for free?  The answer is simple: by using a VEC you're supporting the hobby in a unique way.  Your $6 VEC fee goes to pay for computers, electricity and general expenses needed to process FCC applications.  It also pays for the national VEC conference that is held once a year.  It also helps pay for all VEC programs, such as license exams.

I can't tell you how many people have used the online VEC services here at QRZ (linked to W5YI) who have commented that our service is "10 times faster, more convenient and less confusing" than the FCC site.

Although we don't take vanity applications on the QRZ site, W5YI does on their site.  See http://www.w5yi.org
    Do the hobby and yourself a favor - USE A VEC!

-fred

3. WA4MJF

WA4MJF Banned QRZ Page

Speakin' of usin' a VEC, If you're an ARRL member, just go to your local ARRL VE Team, renewals and
    modifications are FREE!

We do not do for any price for non ARRL members.

73 de Ronnie
    ARRL VE

4. W6WEE

W6WEE Ham Member QRZ Page

I too, tried to submit an application,,gave up after
    several attempts, w5yi was a big help,,,,,$29.95
    if you have complaints, email the fcc at:
    syscomments@fcc.gov    subject: ULS

Kf6foe

5. W4MSL

W4MSL Ham Member QRZ Page

My license was issued on 12/26/2001. The very FIRST thing I did after seeing my license (KG4QWP) posted on the FCC site was to file for a vanity callsign: W4MSL. My trouble was with the password. HOWEVER, I made a toll call to the FCC CORES help desk, got a very friendly and helpful individual, who CALLED ME BACK within minutes with the problem solved. I can only call this GREAT SERVICE. The whole thing took MINUTES, not hours. Obviously, YMMV, but I was pleased. Yeah, the site could use some work, but I believe it compares favorably to a lot of "storefront" sites, many of which put you into a loop with no way to get help. Got my callsign this week, finally.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

I too had the problems you had trying to do the online filing for the vanity. Finally after two or three calls to FCC and fighting the site, sent my request to Fred who had it done for the appropriate fee which I feel is very deserved. I like to support the hobby and the VE's. Bill K4WGT

7. KB7TBT

KB7TBT Ham Member QRZ Page

You must be using netscape navigator to even have made it that far. as the site does not support IE.

ULS = Useless system

8. K7DLX

K7DLX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

People.....

Mike N4MC's website is a WEALTH of information. Spend about 30 minutes cruising around The Vanity Call Headquarters and you can figure out how to do it! I was in the recent hold queue - took me two months to get my vanity call, but thanks to Mike's site, at least my application wasn't dismissed - and yes, I filed ONLINE, and yes, I saved money by not having to pay others to do it for me.

Check it out - there are drop down menus for darn near EVERYTHING - and step by step instructions on how to work the ULS and the Vanity system.

And the ULS site DOES support IE - 5.5 or above - I use it all the time

Ric W7WWB

9. Guest

Guest Guest

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KB7TBT @ Mar. 23 2002,12<!--emo&[​IMG])</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">You must be using netscape navigator to even have made it that far. as the site does not support IE.

ULS = Useless system[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Not true, the FCC ULS (Unusable Licensing Scam) has got on to the information dirtroad in both lanes & now accepts both browser standards!

I blame the IT Consultants who are working on this system. Why in the world do you need JAVA installed on your system, to update your license? Once you install JAVA, make sure you keep your Anti-Virus software updated. The script kiddies got me within 24 hours of installing the Sun JAVA plugin on IE!

I have made it through the system twice in 2 weeks & received my updated license in the mail in just a mere 7 days.

RM

10. W9TT

W9TT Ham Member QRZ Page

I've used the FCC system 3 times to apply for vanity calls.No problem any of these times.It is very easy to blame someone else or the "system" for one's inability to figure something out.

11. KB4FOS

KB4FOS Ham Member QRZ Page

Ya' know, I thought about a new call when I made General but decided that "Fast Or Slow" was about as phonetic as a call could get. I'm either fast or slow to catching on most of the time, depending on how many Coronas I've had...

JaxJoe

12. W5ROY

W5ROY Ham Member QRZ Page

I am not a computer genius, henceforth I was also stymied by the fcc website. I tried W5YI and got raked over the coals. I have two mixed adresses in my license now. This time I use my local VE group and I know it will be right. Just anothe govt. SNAFU 73 Roy

13. W8TVI

W8TVI Ham Member QRZ Page

I got my call by just mailing in the forms.

Noel
    W8TVI

14. kd7nqb

kd7nqb Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok,
    I do not know if this makes anysense but I recently recived a letter from the FCC explaining about how they are changing all of the internet passwords. No where in the letter did it even mention Ham radio or any other words even related to amature radio so I thing that it may have something to do with your problem.

15. WB2GOF

WB2GOF Ham Member QRZ Page

I recommend Mike Carrol's Website. It is an excellent starting point, as it was for me. It helped save me from submitting a vanity call that was already in the works, or uotherwise unavailable. After that, I did experience a logjam at the ULS website, similar to the author's. But it was cleared up after two phone calls. The first one told me that they could not verify the telephone number (I was calling from work and they could see that from their end). However, they have evening hours, so later that day I called from home, and a lovely tech support lady reset my password, It worked and within 30 days I had my old callsign back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.