ad: cq2k-1

Straight Key Century Club

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KI4CIA, Jan 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KI4CIA

KI4CIA Ham Member QRZ Page

Have you ever wished that Straight Key Night would go on and on and on?  

Have you ever wished for other incentives to dig out your old straight key or old bug and knock the dust off?  

Ever wished they had a Straight Key Night more than once a year?  

That is a light you see at the end of the tunnel!!  Recently, a group of hams have decided to make their wishes come true and founded the Straight Key Century Club – a/k/a “SKCC”.  Yep, a Straight Key club - where you can dust off your straight key or old bug, and get on the air and torture other ops with your straight key fist …

Here’s how it will work:  

A)    Open to any interested amateur
        B)    Membership is free, there are no dues and it shall stay that way as long as practical.
        C)    SKCC numbers are issued for life.  Once you get it, it's yours.  Take care of it.  Above all, USE it.

The first day of each month, at 0000Z will be designated as a monthly operating event that allows SKCC members or non-SKCC members to work each other for credit.  Contact with 100 SKCC members will qualify that person for a certificate of accomplishment.

Suggested operating frequencies are:

The website is a work in progress, so please bear with us as Tom works on building it.  

For membership, please email Tom, KC9ECI, at tom@galesvillefiredepartment.org.

KC9ECI, Tom Peterson (SKCC # 1)
    KI4CIA, Melinda Alsobrook (SKCC # 2)

2. KC9ECI

KC9ECI Ham Member QRZ Page

The interest soon overwhelmed the website so we've moved things to a yahoo group, http://groups.yahoo.com/group/skcc/ where we can better organize things.  Hope to hear all of your fists on the air.

Tom
    KC9ECI

3. w3mz

w3mz Guest

Hate to admit it but I never used one. Right before I got my tech, Heathkit came out with the HD-1410 keyer. I used that with my HW-101 for a long time. Since then it has always been some type of paddles, Bencher or Ten-Tec. The way my fingers work now (not very well) I doubt anyone would want to hear me using a straight key.

I remember a lot of old-timers (back before I was included in that group) used straight keys and you knew who was on the other end before you got the callsign. Some people have a really great, almost musical quality to their sending that is totally lost with a keyer. So I hope you have success with your group!

VY 73, Mike w3mz

4. NC5S

NC5S Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, Mike,

You might want to wire one up and give it a try.  

Over the years, I have worked guys whose fist sounded like a symphony and I have worked guys whose fist sounded like a train wreck.  In either case, I've enjoyed working all of them.

5. N7YA

N7YA Ham Member QRZ Page

Im in, i collect old keys...i currently use a Les Logan Speed-X. i guess its about 70 years old. I have some strap keys going back to the turn of the century, and a bunch of military stuff including a Berlin-battlefield dug German WWII tank key i picked up in Gettysburg...i just have a bunch of old keys, heh.
    Ill go check it out because i only use these types of devices...good idea you have there.

73...Adam, N7YA

6. w4gpw

w4gpw Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been a big straight key fan since I got on code last year. I missed SKN this year and hate that I did, but now that I've joined (158!) I can experience it every day.

7. WA5KRP

WA5KRP Ham Member QRZ Page

Just signed up. Great idea. But I gottatellya - I'm horrible on a straight key. I've been using a keyer since 1974.

WA5KRP
    Texas

8. KI4CIA

Thanks to the moderators for getting this up, even though the thread that started all this is still going in another forum.

I've edited the website link, so it will now go the Yahoo address and one change was made on the list of calling frequencies, it's now 5090.

And glad to have you new guys join up!!

Melinda
    KI4CIA

9. W5HTW

W5HTW Ham Member QRZ Page

5090?

Do you mean 50.900? Or 50.090? The 14407 is 144.070, but I'm not sure about the 50 mhz frequency. Thanks.

I gotta get out my J38 and practice a bit. Been on a keyer for 30 years. Back to basics!!

Ed

10. KI4CIA

50900 ... thanks for pointing that out!!

You know, there is an ulterior motive in all this ... it is putting all you who have been on keyers and bugs for a humpteen dozen years on a level playing field with us (the new crop) now!! heeheehee [​IMG]

11. W9JDH

W9JDH Ham Member QRZ Page

The founders of this group SKCC need to be commended for their hard work. With all the bandwidth and spectrum issues going on, maybe this will get CW going again.

Even with band conditions being poor lately, the new CW activity even in the Novice portions are alive and well. Hopefully the word will spread and get some newcomers interested in the art of CW!

W9JDH, SKCC #80

CW--AN ENDANGERED SPECIES??

12. K1FPV

K1FPV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Having used nothing but a straight key for over 43 years as a ham, I find this concept refreshing. You will find me on the suggested operating frequencies often. [​IMG]

13. KD5TLC

KD5TLC Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds like FUN... I don't use anything for CW other than a straight key.

--... ...-- -.. . -.- -.. ..... - .-.. -.-. .. [​IMG]

14. W4ROT

W4ROT Ham Member QRZ Page

I sent out a mail to couple of OF's who help me a bunch.
    They were right on it.
    but....
    If you get cocky and crank it up speedwise...they will put you in the dirt.
    This is great thing for all of us!
    kudos to kc9eci and ki4cia!
    w4rot

15. w8cbc

w8cbc Guest

I've worked more than one "train wreck" fist - it always gets better as the contact proceeds and helps me improve mine own as well. So whatever you think of yourself, I'll happily work you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.