ad: Alphaant-1

Storm Chaser, WJ0G Killed by Oklahoma Tornado

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WB9QZB, Jun 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. WZ3O

WZ3O Guest

And I succumbed with a knee jerk comment...forget the debate. Just offer Deepest Condolences to the family of all concerned.

2. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Apparently they were true scientific researchers (not amateur adrenaline junkies) trying to get accurate observations and usable data when things "gang aft a-glay," in the words of Robert Burns. Yes, they were on the extreme, just an many vulcanologists risk life to research volcanoes. Unfortunately, due to (at least some) circumstances beyond their control, they were unintentionally caught in the wrong place at the wrong time. I'd take exception that they were "asking for it."

3. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

We all take risks. But there are foolish risks and there are calculated risks.

The purpose and training of the Samaras group was beyond that of typical amateur radio eqiupped Storm Spotters. They were well experienced field pros that some also happened to be hams.

Their demise came because they encountered a situation beyond the limits of the known science, it was literally off the charts, therefore less capapble of being accurately calculated into their risk management.

History is dotted with many such occurances. Scientific pioneers, includes geography, were often labled "explorers" or "adventurers" through out the ages. Just Google "scientists that have died for their cause" or equivalent search string.

Despite overwhleming media coverage, there doesn't seem to be much fuss about NASA putting on a good show, or that the (ham) crew members assigned to science experiments that perished aboard Space Shuttle Challenger or Columbia were only present to get themselves mentioned on TV.

They made a choice to take that risk too, sadly one that had more of a human element involved and is now known to have been probably much greater then encountering this freak storm.

I beleive the closest similar natural disaster example occurred in 1980 with the cataclysmic erruption of Mt. St. Helens. Along with several others, and while in selfless support of the science effort sponsored by the USGS and Nat Geo, two dedicated amateur radio operators perished. While OTA and at the mic too!

See link below:

http://webitnw.com/w7w/

I salute them again now too, as well as the hams who have died or been killed on DX'peditions, perhaps less altruistic, but nevertheless who were trying to increase the enjoyment of OTA operating for us who partake in it.

4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Well said. Thanks for this reminder!

Chip W1YW

5. KO5AOK

KO5AOK Ham Member QRZ Page

I was lucky enough to be in a used book store today and found a copy of Tornado Hunter, a book that Tim Samaras co-wrote. It will be the next book that I will be reading. Tonight is also a special about the storm chasers that were killed, to be shown on Discovery channel. I plan to watch. Tim and his son's funeral are scheduled for tomorrow.

6. K4EQE

K4EQE Ham Member QRZ Page

I've watched the show many times and it goes beyond that. He was a public servant in my opinion. Rest in peace sir :-(
    73 K4EQE

7. KO5AOK

The funeral service for Tim and Paul Samaras was held yesterday. It was very touching to hear, with family and friends sharing stories of Tim and Paul. Did you know that Tim Samaras made a ham radio costume for halloween for his young son Paul to wear one year. Yes, so many stories were shared. Later today I will post about 30 minutes of audio of the stories shared by Tim's wife, daughters, and Mike Nelson during the services. That audio will be at http://www.spacegab.com The video of the entire service is also on a number of the Denver TV station websites if you wanted to search for those.

Thanks,
    73 Mike, KG0UFO

8. KK4CUL

KK4CUL Ham Member QRZ Page

UFO, I think your words directed at the lost lives are kind, but it seems pretty insensitive to spam your blog throughout here.

9. KO5AOK

KK4CUL... oh please, give me a break. If that is what you think it was about... oh please... Anyway, nuff with that waste of text....
    More about Tim Samaras, I talked with another ham last night who works for NOAA from Denver and he knew Tim, even worked with him on a couple projects. Tim was working on a radiosonde type device that was light and could possible be carried up in a funnel, and a highspeed camera, possibly besides the one he was using for the lightning. It was nice to hear more stories about him, even some ham related stories.

73 Mike KG0UFO

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.