ad: Flexradio-1

Stockport Radio Society Special Event GBØDBA. Dambusters 1943-2023 ANNIVERSARY OPERATION CHASTISE.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by M6NAE, May 1, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. M6NAE

M6NAE Ham Member QRZ Page

GBØDBA

GBØDBA is a special event station hosted by Stockport Radio Society (‘SRS’) to commemorate the Dambusters Anniversary: 80 years since Operation Chastise, the legendary ‘bouncing bomb’ air mission of 16/17 May 1943.

During that night, 19 specially adapted Avro Lancaster bombers of the elite 617 Squadron of the Royal Air Force undertook a daring low-level attack that successfully breached the Eder and Möhne dams in the Ruhr Valley, the heart of Nazi Germany’s industrial production.

QRV
    The station will be QRV from about 0800 to 1600UTC on Sunday, 14 May 2023, and, again, during the early evening of the following Tuesday, 16 May, from about 1700 to 2000UTC. Operations on the HF bands will likely concentrate on the 20- and 40-metre bands, with SSB, CW and RTTY.

VHF and up activities likely will include FM, C4FM and FT8 on 2 metres, as well as SSB and CW operation through the QO-100 geostationary satellite.

QSL
    We will be producing a QSL card, and, if you would like a physical card to be sent to you direct, requests can be made through OQRS, via Club Log. The cost of each card is £2 GBP.

If we receive cards, we will reply with GBØDBA cards via the buro.

[​IMG]

Dambusters - The Greater Manchester Connection

Lincolnshire has long been known as ‘Bomber Country,’ and the Lancasters that took part in Operation Chastise departed and returned to RAF Scampton in that county.

What is less known, are the connections to Greater Manchester, of which Stockport is a part.

First of all, the aircraft that took part in the mission – Lancaster BIIIs, specially modified to carry the bouncing bomb – were manufactured at Chadderton, with final assembly being carried out at Woodford.

Secondly, training of the aircrew for the attack was undertaken over the Derwent Reservoir, lying between Stockport and Sheffield.

Thirdly, the inventor of the dambusting bomb, Barnes Wallis, has a building dedicated to him at Manchester University.

Lastly, Wing Commander Guy Gibson, who led the raid in Lancaster ‘G for George,’ was put forward as a candidate for the UK Parliament seat of Macclesfield.

Inaugurated on June 4th 1920 as Stockport Wireless Society we are one of the oldest radio societies in the United Kingdom.

Club QRZ page can be found at: G8SRS

IARU Locator: IO83WJ

WAB Square: SJ88

IOTA: EU-005

Email: info@g8srs.co.uk

Thank you, best 7.3's from all at Stockport Radio Society.

2E0IHV, EI6IXB, KC7ZXY and 10 others like this.
  2. KQ1V

KQ1V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Best of luck with your Special Event.

I'll certainly make the contact, but I just cannot send any money for a QSL card; which is a reason why I seldom QSL cards OUS. In this day and age, in my opinion, if you send paper cards you should never charge and again that is purely my opinion. I do know that some folks make a habit/living out of charging for paper QSL card confirmations. If you feel the need for special card, why not make one electronically and send via email? If you're a club, you should most certainly, again in my opinion, use club funds for QSL cards and mailing. Big clubs, like W9IMS never charge, and that is a big annual special event.

I send paper QSL cards always with a SASE; 2 envelopes, 2 stamps, 3 printer labels and 1 card, with information extrapolated from my paper logbook. I put a bit of money into it too, yet it brings me great pleasure.

Just my 2 pounds.

MW6PNW, KD7DGK, WB2YMU and 8 others like this.
  3. KI6PMD

KI6PMD Ham Member QRZ Page

Wonderful story I was born just outside Macclesfield ! all of my family still lives in and around Manchester I can't wait to contact the special event station ! and watch the movie the "Dam busters" great movie ! WOW thanks for the great story and best of luck with the event 73 Phil KI6PMD..

LU8DPV, MM0XXW, W0TDH and 1 other person like this.
  4. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

Awesome QSL card, and I don't chase paper. For this one, I'll make an exception.

Hope to hear you on 20M!

KS5KY likes this.
  5. W7TRD

W7TRD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Cool! I'll be sure to be hunting...

6. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

My Mother went through the war building Merlins and going into the bomb shelters at night. Lost 5 places. The last one was a German land mine dropped on her street. Her and her father were in the basement. Trapped for over a day after. Only survivor's on her street. Her hearing gone after. As a child I remember when they tested the civil defense sirens she would break out in a cold sweat and be as pale as a ghost. Still at 5'2 she was tough as nails.

Best of luck on your event. Will be tuning up on that day.

MW6PNW, W8CGA, G3SEA and 4 others like this.
  7. VE7VXO

VE7VXO Ham Member QRZ Page

Always interesting to see the glorification of these sorts of events and all the "amazing details".
    Everyone I ever met who managed to survive combat didn't want to talk or even think about it.

GM4BRB, G3SEA, KL7KN and 3 others like this.
  8. KN4TUC

KN4TUC Ham Member QRZ Page

As an Ex-Brit living in the USA, it's not possible to find a place to exchange dollars for pounds. What other options?

AI4HO and AK5B like this.
  9. M6EVR

M6EVR Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

hope to hear you on 20m or 40m 73

10. KQ1V

Well said.

11. KM0ONT

KM0ONT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The veterans that participated have every right to deal with it as they see fit. History needs to be shared and learned from. Honouring those that served should be a positive, not a negative.

G8KHF, KD7DGK, GM4JPZ and 8 others like this.
  12. M6NAE

M6NAE Ham Member QRZ Page

i will try and get a eql version

KQ1V likes this.
  13. K3MSB

K3MSB Ham Member QRZ Page

Because most, if not all organization, will not accept a QSL card from your printer; too easy to forge.

14. KQ1V

As I mentioned above, I do it all Old School. It costs money, yeah, but hey that is what I like to do in the hobby.

That said, if you push through an eQSL card you can make it a .JPEG file and lock it or an Adobe .PDF and lock it. Or just send an eQSL that refers to LoTW, etc. for QSO verification. There are options. However, I will opt do it Old School.

Do hammies really forge QSL cards?! Pretty damn sad; hammies never disappoint.

AK5B likes this.
  15. K3MSB

K3MSB Ham Member QRZ Page

Certainly won't work with ARRL.

I stopped using eQSL over 10 years ago. I got tired of the multitude of emails to confirm QSOs that I never made.

Last edited: May 3, 2023
    W8CGA and KQ1V like this.