ad: MLSons-1

Steve Linley WA8Y Silent Key January 27, 2024

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by KB9S, Mar 21, 2024.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. KB9S

KB9S Ham Member QRZ Page

2. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

Steven A Linley, WA8Y SK

[​IMG]

CQ, CQ, CQ, WA8Y. Steven A. Linley passed away January 27, 2024 in Midland after a short illness. He was born June 16, 1952 in Detroit and grew up in Farmington. He graduated from Farmington High School before beginning undergraduate studies at Oakland Community College. Steven completed his undergraduate work at Wayne State University and went on to earn his Master’s from Central Michigan University. He was hired by H.H. Dow High School as an industrial education instructor, teaching electronics. It was here Steven met the former Brenda Brown, who was working as a secretary. As the story goes, he was no match for her charm as his “resistance was low”. The two were married June 18, 1977 at St. John’s Lutheran Church. Steven finished his career at H. H. Dow High, retiring as a social studies teacher in 2008.
    Since he was a young child, Steven loved the water. He was always drawn to its mystery and splendor. Steven loved to swim, paddleboard, and water ski, which is how he spent his 71st birthday. It was also a passion he passed down to his grandson. He also ventured in scuba diving, going on underwater excursions, filming various shipwrecks in the Great Lakes. Although he never owned a sailboat of his own, Steven enjoyed sailing. There was something about being in the open water and feeling the wind on his face that gave him a sense of peace and joy.
    Water sports were not his only hobby. Steven also enjoyed snow skiing, woodworking, and flew model airplanes for a number of years. As a member of St. John’s Lutheran Church, he was active on the Missions Board, Board of Operations, and putting his electronic skills to work, operated the sound board. However, his life’s greatest passion was one that has been passed down from another generation. Steven’s father and uncle introduced the ham radio to him and the rest is history. He would go electronic fishing, seeking other operators and collecting QSL cards from across the globe.
    Spending time with his wife and family was important to Steven. He and Brenda went on several Caribbean and Trans-Atlantic cruises together, and most recently sailed the Baltic Sea. Steven was also his grandchildren’s biggest fan. Watching their sporting events meant a great deal to him and he made it to every one he possibly could.
    Steven is survived by his wife, Brenda Linley; daughter, Amber (Thomas) Duitsman; son, Michael Linley; grandchildren, Parker and Timothy Duitsman; brother, Thomas (Beth) Linley; sister, Karen Brietzke; and several nieces and nephews. He was preceded in death by his parents, Ralph and Jo-Ann (Pence) Linley and brother-in-law Herb Brietzke.
    Memorial services will take place at 11 a.m. Saturday, February 17, 2024 at St. John’s Lutheran Church, 505 E. Carpenter St. His family will receive friends at the church on Saturday from 10 a.m. until the time of service.
    Those planning an expression of sympathy are asked to consider St. John’s Lutheran Church or the donor’s favorite charity.
    All of us at Ware Smith Woolever are honored the Linley family has entrusted us with the care of their loved one. Condolences to the family may be made at www.wswfh.com
    https://www.wswfh.com/obituaries/Steven-Allen-Linley?obId=30569099

3. WF4V

WF4V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Of all states, MI was my last LOTW confirmation needed for CW WAS. Of the many possible QSOs in the log, I read Steve's bio on QRZ and I had a good feeling he would respond. Despite being in the hospital he confirmed MI for me. I only discovered he passed today when I was filling out my new QSL cards to thank him. 73 OM. Di-dit.

KJ5T likes this.
  4. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

fb cw op, in my log more than a dozen times, mostly on cw. He will be missed. dit dit es 73 OM

K8PG likes this.