ad: ProAudio-1

SPECIAL CW SKILLS ENHANCEMENT

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K0CS, Oct 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. N9EGM

N9EGM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I learned morse code when I was in the Navy. I was a signalman and learned it via light. the hardest thing I had to do was to convert it into sound..
    I'm not the fastest, but I do KNOW CW..

Jim n9egm

2. W6UDO

W6UDO Ham Member QRZ Page

CW Skills Enhancement

I also had a look at the website. (You have to click on "Home" to get off the PayPal /order window and to the main page. http://www.success-is-easy.com/
    It actually seems to make sense. I know in my own experience, the times I’ve been able to copy CW best/fastest is when I’m day-dreaming and in a semi-trance. When I have the most trouble is when I’m actually trying too hard. Many ways to learn and become more proficient at CW, tho; whatever works best for you.
    To K3DC: Yes, get on the air. Lots of nice, patient folks out there who are willing to have a QSO with you. Also, check out the Fists CW Club at www.Fists.org …their Code Buddy list can hook you up with someone who will practice with you on-the-air while you have some enjoyable chats. You can also meet other hams in the same boat, or folks willing to offer practice and encouragement, on the Fists calling frequencies.
    Enjoyed your post, Tom, KC0W. Yeah…What are they telling me while I’m sleeping?? I don’t want to wake up barking like a chicken…Hi!! Yes, better yet, weight loss while you copy CW in your sleep!
    Very 73…Joe…w6udo

3. DJ1YFK

DJ1YFK Guest

At http://lcwo.net/ you can find a web based CW trainer (even available in Portuguese :).

4. W6UDO

W6UDO Ham Member QRZ Page

Learning Morse

Another real good site is aa9pw.com ...learning the code and practice from 3 - 50 wpm...GL & 73...
    Joe...w6udo

5. KO0KY

KO0KY Ham Member QRZ Page

I tried all kinds of tapes and shortcuts for 14 years. What did it was a kind Elmer who taught the old fashioned way, he made you work for it. 30 minutes a day, every day, and in a month you will be a solid 10 WPM, ready for the 5 WPM world of 7100-7150 KHZ. Then, an hour a day on the air for a month and you will be a solid 20 WPM. Works every time.

In 1981 I went into the novice tent at, maybe, 7 WPM and left 24 hours later at 20+. Nothing like Field Day to wring out the last mental blocks.

ko0ky

6. NI7I

NI7I Guest

I Like mine with Lettuce and Tomato, Heinz 57 and French fried Potatoes, Big Kosher Pickle and a Cold Draught Beer (Lone Star)...... What way do I Steer?

*** Sorry Had To do it... ***[/QUOTE]

You are forgiven.. but will the man in the float plane forgive you?

7. K6SDW

K6SDW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Ur getting sleepy Tom KCØW -- very sleepy, just watch the watch!!

8. K4THE

K4THE Ham Member QRZ Page

Unfortunately, most of the posts are off topic and made by folks who don't know what they are talking about. Don't knock it if you haven't tried it. I actually bought these CDs and have found them quite useful. I wish I would have had them years ago when I first started studying CW. I find them a useful adjunct to the excellent freeware by G4FON.
    http://www.justlearnmorsecode.com/
    Dennis K4THE

9. K7NNO

K7NNO Moderator QRZ Page

10. GW7AAV

GW7AAV Ham Member QRZ Page

Snakeoil salesmen

As someone who grew up with a father who was a professional illusionist I know all too well that hypnosis is no more than a stage trick and has no basis in reality. The whole thing works on the basis that a percentage of the population are completely gullible and will believe they are under the hypnotists control combined with use of plants in the audience. I find it somewhat surprising that the majority of people I speak to believe this bunkum. It is time someone in the know stood up to the charlatans the way Houdini stood up to Spiritualists. Not that it would make much difference as people are still taken for a ride by those nutters.

Undoubtedly some people find these so called self hypnosis things helpful. I have listened to a few myself and they usually offer advice on positive thinking that is quite logical, but then tie it up in bunkum. There is no self-hypnosis or induced trance except in the mind of the gullible who believe they are 'under'. Some will say that if they believe they are hypnotized then they are but brain scans of people supposedly under hypnosis show otherwise.

Hypnosis is at best a placebo effect and at least it has persuaded thousands of people to give up smoking, but it is still not real. Many otherwise intelligent people such as those in the medical profession may be fooled, but it is just another pseudo-science profered for sale by Snakeoil Salesmen. If only these guys would come clean and just sell positive thinking without the fake mystisism I would be happy, but in this world people need a crutch and the slick talking greaseball with the pocket watch will keep selling his placebo crutches.

I was quite pleased to see the number of sceptics that have already posted to this thread, I think it shows most radio amateurs are men of science and not easily suckered. I now await the case for the defence starting with the one that starts "I bought these CDs yesterday and am already up to 40 words per minute."

11. AB9QU

AB9QU Ham Member QRZ Page

They advertise these in the Ham mags with a line that says "Real Hams do Code". I bought them about 3 years ago and it is the dumbest thing I have spent money on for ham radio yet. I did much better with the ARRL practice
    and the Gorden West code course and other free ones. I don't think there is an easier softer way. Practice and effort. This did nothing for me.

12. KD5OM

KD5OM Premium Subscriber

What ever works, it is what it is....

And when the CD signs off you wake up walking around like a chicken and clucking. hi hi (CW equivilant to LOL)

I agree with the post who entered the Novice Field Day Station at 7wpm and after a night of working FD walked away at 20+wpm. Back in the days of 20 wpm Extra Class CW testing, one local club offered VE testing right after tear down on Sunday. They passed more Extras that way. I learned CW first from listening on the air and a 33 1/3rd LP. Then everynight after I got my ticket I made a point to work about 6 stations down in the 40M Novice Band.

But, as an advocate for keeping CW alive, I say what ever works for you to help you get on the CW bands, go for it. But get on the air! :)

13. NI7I

NI7I Guest

Being raised by an illusionist makes you an expert on hypnosis? OK. I have been entertained most of my life by illusionists. Therefore hypnosis is as valid a science as physiology. Doesn’t make sense, does it? Most courts in this country recognize hypnosis. Most states have a system in place to license hypnotists. I certainly don’t believe the state is without flaws but I think that if most of our states recognize the validity of the science, it is not something to be dismissed. There are a lot of practitioners of hypnosis and their clients who would question your label of “pseudo science:. Your mind is apparently closed.

NI7I

14. WK5X

WK5X Guest

Use whatever method works for you. I personally believe that immersion is the best method. In other words, just get on the air with your straight key, which I no longer use. I'm lazy these days; I usually use a keyboard.

15. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

FREE CW Learning Course

I hand out free copies of the Chuck Adams K7QO CW Course on CD ROM. If you want one, just send a stamped and a self addressed return CD mailer (with a blank CD-R or CD RW) to my QRZ address. I'll burn you a copy and send it back.

The K7QO code course has over 10 hours of MP3 files that you can play on your PC, iPod, or MP3 player. It also has a very comprehensive manual and study guide.

You can also download the course from here:

K7QO Code Course

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.