Solar Cycle 25 Stirs & Mercury Crosses the Sun | Space Weather News 11.07.2019

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB7TBT, Nov 8, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Rock bottom has passed...now there's the ten mile wide trench we have to get out of!

NH7RO and AB9Z like this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Absolutely Bonnie.

The real value is that Mercury is relatively close to the sun, given our distance, so the comparitive sizes are pretty much what the angles suggest!

If you put earth next to Mercury, it would be a black circle only 2 1/2 times larger than the dot of Mercury.

Humbled yet:)?

NH7RO and KQ6XA like this.
  3. KJ7GHS

KJ7GHS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

We are in a maunder minimum again? They have no real data to explain the maunder minimum, what precludes it or how often it will happen. The current prediction from all major science organizations is a repeat of the last solar cycle, a few calling for slightly less a few calling for slightly more sunspots at maximum. As good as past cycles, no, but a maunder minimum also no. Not even a Dalton minimum. My other hobby is astronomy and i remember the message boards and forums of 2006 with people telling everyone they might as well throw out their H-alpha telescopes because they wouldn't see sunspots again in their lifetime. Same people on the astronomy groups last year saying the same thing. The Dalton minimum cycle 5 and 6 were way worse than cycle 24 yet no maunder minimum starting on cycle 7? So playing the statistics and science the HAM sky is not falling. Sunspot minimums are great they test your skill, determination and resolve. "and your patience"

M0VCB, KB2SMS, N5FW and 1 other person like this.
  4. W1KRI

W1KRI Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Tamitha, been waiting for your show! Look forward to each new episode! -Keith

5. KG4BFR

KG4BFR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

YES .....I can remember the days of rag chewing with our VK friends night after night on 10Meters with 15W and a Ground Plane....was very much fun....but for sure for me long gone and staying in the history Log Book

6. KB8CR

KB8CR Ham Member QRZ Page

I just wish the spots would come back long enough for me to get the last 2 states on 10M for 5BWAS.

7. WA7NTL

WA7NTL Ham Member QRZ Page

The Maunder Minimum refers to that one specific minimum a few centuries ago. There is an interesting theory that there are actually two sunspot cycles simultaneously that add and subtract.

8. K2CD

K2CD Ham Member QRZ Page

It ain't over until the fat lady sings. Seasonal upticks in propagation around the equinoxes are the norm. I predict that 2019 will exceed 2008's total of 268 spotless days. There are 53 days remaining in 2019 and we are already at 233 spotless days. We're almost at the end now.

9. AF2DX

AF2DX Ham Member QRZ Page

Many of you forgot that the predication for cycle 24 was to be a record breaker.
    I remember working WAS 40 meters in 3 nights with only 8 watts.
    I did not need FT-8,I penned in all my contacts BOB AF2DX

10. KQ6XA

KQ6XA Ham Member QRZ Page

Agreed!
    Hurray for the human experience of viewing occultations (such as eclipses and transits) with direct optics, rather than a web telescope or electronic display telescope.

NH7RO and W1YW like this.