ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. KY3W/SK2022

KY3W/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

I was merely wondering how many of you feel SO2R should be in a separate category? Is it fair or unfair to include this with other entries for various contests?

Thanks
    Dave

2. WF4W

WF4W Ham Member QRZ Page

I think it should be considered "assisted" or in its own category. For instance, you can tell from a log if someone is assisted as it jumps frequencies to work multipliers - an SO2R log looks the same.

3. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

Nah. Not as long as they meet the single op rules. Single op is single op, no matter how many radios they’re using.

4. WF4W

WF4W Ham Member QRZ Page

single op assisted or unassisted?

5. WW2PT

Either. Assisted only means “the passive use (no self-spotting) of DX spotting nets or other forms of DX alerting is permitted.” Doesn’t matter if you use one radio or ten.

6. WW2PT

That said, the CQ WW rules does have a single op overlay category called “Classic Operator” that limits the op to a single radio (among other requirements):

Classic Operator (CLASSIC): The entrant will use only one radio, no QSO finding assistance, and may operate up to 24 of the 48 hours – off times are a minimum of 60 minutes during which no QSO is logged.If the log shows more than 24 hours of operation, only the first 24 hours will be counted for the overlay score. The one radio must not be able to receive while transmitting. Single Operator Assisted entries are not eligible for this category.

7. KE7RUX

KE7RUX Ham Member QRZ Page

Resurrecting this forum, I have noticed several big ham contestants using SO2R or more radios, even some with 3 or more radios. This may be old news for a lot of you, but to me being relatively new to base station set-ups, I am wondering how one would go about setting up a same frequency "SO2R" station. There are several helpful tips I have found on the internet, but I wish to also glean some wisdom from the Zed.

8. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

They are not same frequency. Depending on filtering they could be in the same band one for running and the other for S & P. Often though if 2 bands are open they may both be running on separate bands. If you ever get a chance to watch video of KL9A and/or N6MJ operating SO2R watch--they are amazing

9. PD2R

PD2R Ham Member QRZ Page

Typically SO2R for the majority of SO2R operators is running (calling CQ) on one band and S&P (Search and Pounce) on another band. Some of the great operators can even run (call CQ) on two radio’s which is called 2BSIQ or 2 Band Synchronised Interleaved QSO’s.
    The rules state that you can only have one transmitted signal on the air at any given time. This means there is an interlocking system between the two radios to prevent the second radio from transmitting when the first radio is on air and visa versa. This makes 2BSIQ a real challenge and it certainly isn’t for everybody. More info on 2BSIQ can be found here: http://wwrof.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/2BSIQ-20170331.pdf

Personally I think SO2R shouldn’t be in a separate category. They are still doing all the operating themselves and if they are not using assistance then they shouldn’t be categorised as “Assisted” just because the sponsor can’t check if they cheated. Are we going to categorise everybody in the High Power categorie just because we can’t check if they aren’t running more then 100 Watts? No.
    What I would like to see is that SO2R ops are specified in the results. That way, non SO2R ops can see how they did in comparison to other non SO2R ops themselves.

10. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

In the last ARRL DX CW contest 11 of the top 13 finishers (84%) in SOHP category as reported on the 3830 Contest Score Reflector were SO2R. Well over half of the top 40 were SO2R.

The point in designated entry categories is so operators will compete with other operators with comparably equipped station in the hopes that operator skill will be a major determining factor in the final score standings in the contest. I don't believe there is a perfect way to do his. Operators running 100 watts may have very different antennas to work with; some may be plagued with static from nearby storms; some may be in a high hill and other in a deep valley. So there can't be identical conditions based just on entry category definitions.

But when almost all of the twp 20 entrants in the major DX contest are running SO2R then maybe it's time to create another entry category for SO2R, high and low power. It could be argued that single radio entrants could run SO2R if they so desire, it's not quite that simple. The radios, antenna real estate, high end filters would be cost prohibitive for lots of single operator/high power operators who would be highly competitive if not going up against the SO2R ops.

I think the time has come to have the SO2R operators compete against themselves in their own category. There have always been plenty of hams with adequate skills to be competitive SO2R operators. And now the technology is available and there are a sufficient number of hams with sufficiently deep pockets to be able to afford the gear to make for some interesting contest challenges. When 80 to 90 percent of the top 20 SOHP finishes in the major international DX contests are SO2R, they are only really competing against each other anyway. Life won't change for them if they are given their own category. But the single transmitter entrants will at least have their playing field leveled to a more fare degree.

HA3FLT likes this.