ad: AbAuRe-1

Short Takes! Comments on Short Takes from "Trials and Errors"

Discussion in 'Trials and Errors - Ham Life with an Amateur' started by W7DGJ, Nov 30, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KA8ZAW

KA8ZAW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Dave,
    Loved your take on an external speaker and a waste of $200. I recently purchased a used external speaker for my Kenwood 590. Got it home in good condition, hooked it up and waited for the magic that never happened. Actually I think the internal speaker was a bit better. The external speaker did look SEXY but that was about it. Sold it 2 weeks later. 73 Jeff KA8ZAW

W7DGJ likes this.
  2. W7DGJ

W7DGJ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Not going to be suckered again, Jeff. Sounds like you too! Dave

3. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Ageism in ham radio? LOL.

It's always been that way. The OTs think the kids don't know anything, and the novices think the same of the OTs.

That means all is well and functioning normally.

4. W7DGJ

Hi Rod, I don't know . . . yes, I think that's human nature in some way, for old guys to think about young people as not knowing the ropes, and vice versa. The age old predicament you deal with when raising teenagers, as an example. But ham clubs and organizations are filled with people of all ages, talking to each other on the radio and in general appreciating what they bring to the table. I don't think that's Pollyanna thinking, as I've experienced it myself in our weekly meetings. This guy was just cruel. He went on, in a later post, to talk more about the mostly "old, white guys" who populate the phone modes. Really PO'd me, for sure.

5. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

In any group as large as amateur radio, there are always screwballs and soreheads--it's inevitable.

It all evens out.

When us kids found the modulator on our prized Apache made our signals sound like poo-poo, to the OTs we ran.

When they couldn't figure out this new fangled repeater stuff, the OTs came hat in hand to the squirts.

:)

KI4HPU, W7DGJ and AD5HR like this.
  6. KE6SLS

KE6SLS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Dave,

a couple of things stand out about this article:

derogatory references to the amateur radio service:
    https://www.qsl.net/kd2bd/hobby.html
    It is a worthy read, especially the last four paragraphs.

220, 230, & 240VAC is not high voltage.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_voltage

Lastly, the idea of making preparatory content concerns me. I'll remain on the fence and hope it won't be excessively restrictive.

Jaye

7. W7DGJ

Jaye, That's what it is. It is how I spend my spare time, an interest, etc. Yes, we perform a service by DOING OUR HOBBY. I appreciate your point about voltage, and I edited the article. Your last comment was completely lost to me, Dave

W9MAV likes this.
  8. VK5OHR

VK5OHR Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Dave, I enjoyed every one of you posts. Don't be discouraged as we all are aware of the limitations we face. Keep up the good works... :)

W7DGJ likes this.
  9. W7DGJ

Thanks Bob! Appreciate the positive note! Dave

VK5OHR likes this.
  10. WB8HHP

WB8HHP Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello Dave,
    I saw that post on Farcebook concerning the "old white guys". I was taken aback by the insolence of the author of that post. I have been a ham for 53 years and I am 67 years old. Do I have aches and pains?????? Yes I do. Do I talk about them on the radio??? Yes I do. I earned every one of those aches and pains through a proud 39 year career in law enforcement. If that young upstart doesn't want to hear me talk about that stuff then spin the dial! No one is making him listen! End of Rant. 73 Dave and keep up the great work. I'm going to go take some Tylenol now!

KT4PH and W7DGJ like this.
  11. W7DGJ

Tim, I laughed so hard reading your post here. Thank you! Yes, I agree. But then I posted (a mistake) on the general Ham Radio Discussions forum, and the conversation went off track SO FAR it had to be removed by the owner of QRZ. Anyway, thank you for your nice comment, Tim. Dave W7DGJ

12. AA5AZ

AA5AZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

In regards to age discrimination. I'm 49. I will admit I've had similar thoughts as that young man did when I was in my mid-30's to early 40's. I usually just would spin the dial and go somewhere else and not worry about it. But now, at 49, I've found myself making some of the same statements those "old men" were making. What I'm getting at is those young men have not realized yet, it's not hit them yet, that this whole life cycle thing is real and yes, indeed, they will talk like "that" eventually. It's coming and no amount of hubris will stop it.

KI4HPU, W7DGJ, WB8HHP and 1 other person like this.
  13. W7DGJ

Well said — sad but true, Dave

14. AA0RI

AA0RI Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Dave.
    I'd like to make a late comment on your transformer article, I may be full of prunes or something else but I'm afraid I don't see why this would accomplish anything if the 240V equipment presents a large load to your circuits. Transformers aren't very efficient and if your wiring the equipment to get better performance than you have on 120 V you would, in my understanding of the subject, would be making it worse. If the equipment can run on either voltage and doesn't draw enough current to give you a voltage drop then you sure don't need to boost it. I only see the value if you have something that will only run on 240, and doesn't exceed the VA capacity of your transformer, that's a different matter and the transformer is a good idea.

As to age discrimination, I don't think you can change it. I had an employee who knew more about electrical circuits and electronics more than most and his customers with a problem would always tell me "don't send that durned kit, he doesn't know anything. Unfortunately or fortunately that kid looked like he was 20 when he was in his mid 40s! He was a really good troubleshooter and could fix anything. He was very polite an all who worked with him liked the "Kid", usually his customers did too when they had to settle for him and found out he really new how to take care of their problems.

73, Chuck, AA0RI

W7DGJ likes this.
  15. W7DGJ

Hi Chuck, thanks for your comments. The transformer solved a problem for me. I have a particular amplifier that works both on 110 and on 240, but on 110 the power supply does not like CW. It was making a buzz on every key down. Moving it to the transformer gave me a great difference . . . smooth, no noise CW. Therefore, it was worth the few bucks for that. I'm sure you are right electrically on the other comments. But, I have found it handy on my workbench when I am bringing in a piece of equipment to look at. Not for in-depth use, but to look at it on both household and higher voltage. With regards to age discrimination, it's everywhere. I had a temporary measure of Pollyanna thinking, I guess, as nearly all the comments I've heard are that people are going to do this on ham radio or anywhere else in the world. I will continue to object to it whenever I run into it. Dave, W7DGJ