ad: wmr-1

Sears sells Craftsman brand to Stanley Black & Decker

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by W9GB, Jan 5, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W9GB

W9GB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

As reported in financial publications today, Sears has sold the Craftsman brand to Stanley Black & Decker for $900 million. This is less than earlier expectations in 2016 as high as $2 billion.
    http://www.chicagobusiness.com/arti...ilyalert&utm_campaign=ccb-dailyalert-20170105

Despite being battered by its parent's travails and sold almost entirely through Sears, Sears.com, Sears Hometown and Outlet and Kmart stores, Craftsman remains a strong brand.
    Stanley President and CEO Jim Loree noted that Craftsman generated about $1.9 billion in annual retail sales. Mr. Loree expects sales to grow by $100 million each year for the next decade.

Craftsman still holds the largest dollar share of the hand tools market among do-it-yourselfers and individual consumers, with about 27.6 percent for the year ended September 2016, says Tom Coffield, senior director of research at Stevenson Company, a Louisville, Ky.-based market researcher.

Sears will continue selling Craftsman products, though it will no longer sell them to third parties including Ace Hardware and Meijer.
    LOOK at those outlets for potential clearance sales of Craftsman tools.
    In December, during 2016 Christmas, some Stanley and Craftsman tools were heavily discounted.

2. K0OKS

K0OKS Ham Member QRZ Page

Ack! I know Craftsman isn't what it used to be, but I have never been a huge Stanley fan.

KM1H likes this.
  3. AB3TQ

AB3TQ Ham Member QRZ Page

You need to find better "news" sources. This has been on the ZED since Thursday, and has more than 50 responses.

4. K0OKS

The original post appears to have been from Thursday... ??? I have been out of town on business and must have missed this.

5. N7EKU

N7EKU Ham Member QRZ Page

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  6. N8EKT

N8EKT Ham Member QRZ Page

I stopped wasting my money on craftsman tools many years ago

They started getting them made in China yet kept made in USA prices!

Low grade made in China garbage!

7. K0OKS

Yeah, but they sure were nice back in the day.

My wife lost my USA made ratchet wrench. I never should have given to her to use. I thought to myself I am never going to see this again...

Bought that set with high school graduation money.

8. AL4Y

AL4Y Ham Member QRZ Page

I remember years ago, my brother was driving down the road when all of the sudden he got a flat tire. He stopped to check out it and found half a screwdriver in his tire. The tire was shot, but there was a silver lining. The half screwdriver was a Craftsman with a lifetime warranty. He took it back to Sears, noted that it failed to provide complete satisfaction and got a new one free of charge.

9. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Many of the small high volume tools from Snap On also come from China for many years. And their prices keep going up.

Ive been a big fan of Craftsman since the late 50's and all were bought used....never been disappointed. My other hobby is antique vehicles, street rods, customs, and muscle cars plus I do most of the maintenance on my daily drivers so Im not your typical casual user.

K0OKS likes this.