ad: cq2k-1

SB61 in CT Needs your support.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KA1RLA, Mar 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KB8AGJ

KB8AGJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I never heard of a accident caused by a Amateur radio operator using his radio, but heard of many cell phone user accidents. This is a apple and orange comparison. Henry Ford didn't want to put radios in vehicles because he thought it would distract the operator. The mode of operation is different, from controlling the rig verse cell phone. I don't program my rig going down the road and I wouldn't program a cell phone either. I have used both modes of operation. had my license since 1986 and a cell phone from the conception, I feel comfortable using the rig and I don't hold the same feeling about the cell phone when driving. I don't normally answer the cell phone when driving, but have no problem calling or receiving a call on the rig. Not all people fit into the same size shoe. The Amateur radio operator learned and was tested on radio procedure and the cell phone operator....

2. N1DVJ

N1DVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

There you are just plain wrong and I challenge you to show one shred of evidence to support your statement.

The half/full duplex issue is a MAJOR issue. With cell phones people won't even turn their heads! It all falls back to what a friend of mine told me he was trained in the 60's when he flew F-4s. You FLY FIRST. Even with incoming, you fly first. People need to 'Drive First'. With full duplex, it seems they just can't. Seems with cell phones people just won't take even minor steps to drive first.

3. N1DVJ

N1DVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd have to ask... Was the ticket 'just' for using the radio? Or was the ticket for distracted driving while using the radio?

Big difference...

4. KB8AGJ

KB8AGJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I guess everyone has concreted there positions about this subject but, I can't figure out or nothing comes to my mind, if all is equal between cell phones and Amateur radio rigs, Why don't the Police get ticketed for there use of there radio while driving down the road ?

5. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Bingo! Absolutely correct. It is obvious radios can be as or more distracting than cell phones and are used for for no valid reason except entertainment.

Ham radios are a toy we play with and no toy is worth the chance of an accident. The argument of emergency comms considerations is baloney in that the use of mobile radios for that purpose is trivial compared with their general use.

Entertainment should be limited to the shack or the bedroom...

6. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Frivolous argument. Police don't violate the law for having flashing blue/red lights on the car but don't try it yourself and use the tired, lame emcomm excuse.

7. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

The reason cops don't violate the flashing light law is because it is written into the law that they can do it. If hams are exempted from this law, then they would no longer be violating it. I think the point of AGJ is that cops have no special abilities to be able to drive "undistracted" simply because they are cops. If they, or anyone else, has an exemption, then HR ops should be considered for an exemption.

But, as I already pointed out, HR is not covered by definition in the existing law. The fact that hams have been issued tickets is of no bearing. Even with an exemption, you could still be issued a ticket. That only means the cop doesn't understand the law. The cop could give you a ticket for smoking a cigar, and cite this law. It would be up to you to show that the law doesn't cover cigars, because of the definitions given in the law. Ham radios do not fall under the existing definition of either a cell phone or mobile electronic device. Someone would need to go to court in order to prove that, however. And if an exemption is granted, a ham might still have to go to court to prove that he is entitled to the exemption, since cops are often wrong about the reasons people get citations.

Joe

8. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think we should simplify the whole set of driving laws down to one word :"DON'T" . That would finally satisfy the hypocrites who support these nanny laws.

Now, I will concede that Connecticut is not the Wild West. I've never been there, but looking at a highway map of the state, the roads there resemble those of England. Rather than following generally east-west directions like they do in the western 3/4 of the country, the roads follow the shortest route between towns. This results in many roads coming together at the same time, and few stretches of straight highway. This is a much more challenging environment in which to drive. I'd say that the inmates of Connecticut should be required to remove the broadcast receivers and wear a muzzle whenever they operate a vehicle on the public highways due to the labrynthine character of Connecticut roads.

9. WJ4U

WJ4U Ham Member QRZ Page

SB61 appears to be a callsign from Sweden. What's he doing in CT?

Oops, never mind :rolleyes:

10. AG6KI

AG6KI Ham Member QRZ Page

Well said.

It is my current opinion (perhaps a stupid one) that there is something mechanically different about holding a phone to the side of your head, that impedes attention to surrounding events. This is different from distraction by other events or thoughts. For one thing, it takes more effort to turn and look to either side, when your hand, arm (attached to a shoulder), and phone are in tow. I wonder if we could apply something like ohm's law to this. If there is no truth to this, then how is it that using an ear bud makes any difference to the probability that a driver will cause an accident. Additionally, people tend to bend their head forward and look down while listening on a phone, especially if the audio is bad. Let's outlaw bad audio too.

11. AG6KI

AG6KI Ham Member QRZ Page

Re-posted with quote... (sorry, I'm new at this and have not yet finished my morning coffee)

Well said.

It is my current opinion (perhaps a stupid one) that there is something mechanically different about holding a phone to the side of your head, that impedes attention to surrounding events. This is different from distraction by other events or thoughts. For one thing, it takes more effort to turn and look to either side, when your hand, arm (attached to a shoulder), and phone are in tow. I wonder if we could apply something like ohm's law to this. If there is no truth to this, then how is it that using an ear bud makes any difference to the probability that a driver will cause an accident. Additionally, people tend to bend their head forward and look down while listening on a phone, especially if the audio is bad. Let's outlaw bad audio too.

12. KF7RHB

KF7RHB Ham Member QRZ Page

What nonsense this is... Some schmuck texts while driving, hits a school bus, and so the hand wringing bed wetters petitions our rulers to "do something". Of the countless millions of autos flying down the road at homocidal speeds right this second, the vast majority will safely reach their destination. This does include people eating a hamburger, yacking on the cb, listening to a shock jock, and even using a cell phone. I'm not a fan of people doing some of these activities whilst driving. But a little rational perspective will indicate that the problem is less dramatic than the noise.

I can talk on air and drive quite safely at the same time. So can you. We know this because people have done it for 80 years without statistically relevant issue. Most of us can also chew gum and walk at the same time, but I'm sure there is some hysterical wimp brigade waiting in the wings to ban that. You can not legislate all risk away.

13. N9CXI

N9CXI Ham Member QRZ Page

Problem is, so many drivers are simply distracted by putting their hands on the wheel.

14. K4KWH

K4KWH Guest

My sentiments exactly. If this is the world the el pinko sniveling little snots with their visions of "protecting" everybody from everyTHING they have in mind, then they can take it, turn it crosswise, spread it WIDE and stick it you-know-where!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad: I'd RATHER be DEAD than to live in that kind of control, and, yes, take my chances. :mad:

15. W1BR

W1BR Ham Member QRZ Page

imagine the peril of driving with young kids in the car!!! Ban kids!!! We don't need more nanny states.
    Ham radio isn't causing accidents due to distracted driving. If a ham is driving and driving erratically
    and is distracted, he should get a ticket regardless of if he is using a radio or not. If a ham is driving and
    talking without being distracted, then he shouldn't get a ticket for simply talking on a radio. Most cellphone
    users seem to go into a trance whenever their phone is in use. How many hams do you see yelling into
    radios in movies or at restaurants? Now, how many times have you seen cellphones abused?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.