Russian OTH Radar Contayner now everywhere

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT, Nov 10, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KA2IRQ

KA2IRQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Not really- as I understand it, the sounder is only on briefly while the actual radar runs for much longer at much higher power.

2. VK4GAP

VK4GAP Ham Member QRZ Page

Its obvious you ain't heard it yet , try to listen watching the clock instead of reading about it intellectually , 1 to 2 hour transmissions is not what i call brief , maybe on another planet it might be brief? , even the old woodpecker used to go for hours and then days , that one also on 80M for several hours at a time .

3. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You are quite wrong and do not have a good understanding of radar, satellites and surveillance systems.

The reason these HF OTH radars often overlap into other service bands is due to varying propagation. The same reason we hams use different bands at different times of day, week, year.

This is no proof of intention to interfere. And even casual listen reveals they are poor jammers. Anyone old enough to remember the Cold War as an SWL'er knows what 'real jamming" is like. Further, none of these radars use modulation methods well known to be effective for jamming.

Satellites are not typically used for providing surveillance/tracking of ships and aircraft by radar. The last time the Russians/Soviets had a RORSAT, Radar Ocean Reconnaissance Satellite was around 1993. I've never heard of a radar satellite for aircraft detection. RORSATs are not good choices for tracking ships since they generally have only a few minutes of overhead time. However they can provide 'snapshots" of ship dispositions in ocean areas. Correlation and identification of target ships is problematical.

HF OTH Radars while not having high location precision, are capable of detection and tracking ships and aircraft. The fact they are now fielded by many nations since their introduction four decades ago proves their usefulness.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  4. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

Back in the day we used to try to jam the wood pecker... Turn the beam in their direction, crank on the amp, and start calling CQ...

Dan WQ4G

K0UO likes this.
  5. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually, it's purpose is MIND CONTROL! They are trying to gain control over your mind in preparation for the next U.S. election cycle.

Dan WQ4G

6. VK4GAP

7. VK4GAP

That's why the 1st audio i posted had a crossover/mixed at the start for a few seconds and then reverted to a clean Helicopter , i tried replaying it on AM tx but then realized those signals are so wide i deemed it a waste of time .

8. G0HBS

G0HBS Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi all,
    In the early 70's I worked on the AN/FPS-95 system. This was an American OTH radar called Cobra Mist at RAF Orfordness in Suffolk Britain. We pointed the other way, we ran MW's, I often wondered what problems we caused. When I was home on leave and listened you could tell the range it was working by the PRF. Brings back the past
    G0HBS

W9AFB and KM4FVI like this.
  9. KM4FVI

KM4FVI Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I enjoyed going TDY to the UK while I was on active duty! Nothing like a good pint of beer to start the evening off on the town.

Cheers,
    Frank

10. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Wait til the HOA gets a look at this antenna submission!

OTHRADAR.jpg

K0UO, WQ4G and WD4ELG like this.