RSGB changes Foundation license exam assessment

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK7HH, Oct 5, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. GW6CZE

GW6CZE Ham Member QRZ Page

lost me on that one,or are you misreading my callsign ?

2. M0PAM

M0PAM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It is very rich for the Yanky's to criticise the UK licence autority, but what about the people in USA running stations above 1.5KW, no one can on contest day's can compete with, please keep you comments to USA

AA5BK, MM0JNL and 2E0NYH like this.
  3. 2E0NYH

2E0NYH Ham Member QRZ Page

there are no objective justifications for 'Incentive licencing' in that way

the equipment restrictions currently place an incentive for the GHz bands, althoguh oddly foundation has a 10GHz allocation but isn;t allowed on 23cm despite there COTS equipment for 23 cm

M7BZU likes this.
  4. M7BLC

M7BLC Ham Member QRZ Page

I beg to differ. I passed my foundation licence at the beginning of the year and found both the course and the instruction (online via Essex Ham) excellent and a great preparation for going online, without the practical element included due to lockdown. I have never used more than the 10 watts the licence allows and have made many great contacts as I develop and refine my very basic shack and antennas. It is the fun of chasing QRP contacts that interests me and I am amused at the ridiculous use of power by many so called 'qualified' hams. My personal opinion is that the RSGB should raise the maximum power for Foundation to 25 watts but until they do (if ever) I will stick to 10. What others do is up to them.

2E0NYH likes this.
  5. 2E0NYH

2E0NYH Ham Member QRZ Page

wouldn't be RSGB it'd be Ofcom but arguably 25 watts for foundation and 100 for inter would make little regulatory impact

MM0JNL likes this.
  6. M7BLC

Agreed. Actually I have learnt that the real trick is to refine the receive capability rather than anything else . Once you can hear at a distance you can then start refining the ability to be heard. I am finding that end fed antennas help a lot in both cases. 73

2E0NYH likes this.
  7. MM0JNL

MM0JNL Ham Member QRZ Page

WELL SAID, you are spot on there. Not just stateside either. Also, what is the point of running STUPID power levels when us honest operators can never get back to them. I have however had some really spectacular contacts 59+ with 100-watts and non-resonant wire and the other station in 1-kw with a fancy YAGI and only 57 back to me.... love it!!!

I honestly believe that 20-metres and 40-metres are so full of noise thanks to all the excessive power signals bouncing around with no place to go; a bit like the wake of a powerboat running up and down a loch after a highspeed run. Yachts do not produce any such wake as they move with the water and air. If 1-kw in needed on the ham-bands then the band is closed!! A fit like a fart!! If you have to force it, it is going to be sh*te!! Think plaese 1-kw+ club!! You are not making your own propagation, you are polluting the bands!!

M7BLC likes this.
  8. M6JKU

M6JKU Ham Member QRZ Page

It is offensive to label all foundation license holders in this way. I often make contact with Russia, USA and Canada on a genuine 10 watts, QRP operators in my opinion are more skilled operator's than full license holders who as we all know have a majority of operators running 1KW plus, These are the clowns who need policing. My station can be inspected any time I do not even have a radio capable of outputting more than 20 Watts and 5 watts is my usual output, never has there being a hobby with such class snobbery remember your license allows you to use the bands not own them.

G8FXC and 2E0NYH like this.
  9. MM0IMC

MM0IMC Ham Member QRZ Page

There's many MM6's and 2M0's around here that you well above their legal power limits!

I used to run 10W PEP when I was a MM6, 50W PEP when I was 2M0. I now run just under 400W PEP , even though my amplifiers can do much more. Firstly, I want to stay within my licensing conditions, secondly - have you seen the unit price of electricity recently?:eek:

10. M7BLC

During Foundation training it was made very clear in the official book and by the trainers that effective output power had to be adjusted according to the gain of the antenna and that the use of high gain antennas would require power reductions accordingly. I wonder how many UK hams - or worldwide if they have a similar requirement ?- take note of this stipulation ?

M7CGA likes this.