ad: M2Ant-1

Route 66 On The Air

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by KR3DX, Sep 3, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KG5EYC

KG5EYC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

As one of the operators for W6J I can attest to the amount of work it takes to keep a station on the air so those of you who want to work the various stations have that chance. Please do whatever you can to assist the operators with the flow of the process and above all be gentlemen and ladies about it all. It has been hard work and also lots of fun providing this service and wish you all the best of luck in fulfilling your goals during this special event. 73

KE7DRT, KR3DX and WO5G like this.
  2. WO5G

WO5G Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Where is W6I? I didn't see them reported yesterday, not so far today.. I found their activator signup sheet and it looks like no one has signed up to work for the rest of the special event.I just need W6I for clean sweep. Sure hoping to see them working soon!!

3. KG5EYC

KG5EYC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

just spotted W6I on 20m FT8

4. WO5G

Yep... I saw him too... We are too close... could not get a contact... I saw others getting contacts though... I never saw W6I calling. I am hoping that somebody will try phone on 80M or something.. might have a chance there?? Thanks for the heads up!!

KG5EYC likes this.
  5. N9SOX

N9SOX Ham Member QRZ Page

Couple of the W6 Operators are reminding people of the rules which is nice to hear. Especially knuckleheads who try to make multiple contacts on the same Band / Mode.

N1KX likes this.
  6. N1KX

N1KX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There have been some terrible pileups, but one particularly shameful deliberate QRMer. I am not sure if it is the same one, but I have experienced it while attempting to work a couple of the stations this week. Deliberately disrupting ops by keying down on the working frequency with full power tuning and mic. He was all over W6Q last evening, and the op was getting pretty frustrated, but continued to work callers anyway. Sad to see people so intent on doing harm.

KR3DX likes this.
  7. N9SOX

Sad that people feel the need to do that. Just spin the Dial and move on if you don't like what's going on.

KR3DX likes this.
  8. WO5G

W6I Came up on 40M for a while... I got the contact...CLEAN SWEEP!! YAAY!!

KG5EYC likes this.
  9. KO4CQ

KO4CQ Ham Member QRZ Page

With about 1.5 hours left, I guess I'm done. I am missing D and S. I haven't seen them all day. If I see them pop up, I'll give them a call, but I but I doubt they will show. The west coast is difficult for me. I did snag W6B for my last one.

What a fun event! Even my non-ham wife helped me spot for a while when I needed most all of them. Kudos to the clubs and crews that activated the W6 stations. Handling some of the rambunctious pile ups for hours required more skill and patience that I have.

My wife and I drove the entire Route 66 in 2017. That was probably our most fun vacation. If you would like to view a slide show of our trip, please go to http://philwinterphotography.com/route_66_2017/

KG5EYC, KR3DX and N1KX like this.
  10. N9HQ

N9HQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

W6D - Did they even exist this year? I never heard them nor did I ever see them spotted. They are the only station I didn't get.

KR3DX likes this.
  11. N5CM

N5CM Ham Member QRZ Page

This was my first year to get serious about the event, and I got them all. I found 11 on CW. I wanted a CW sweep as well, but it became apparent that it wasn't to be. W6D and W6U were the last ones for me, and I got them both on 09/17 about 30 minutes apart. Oh what a relief it was!

Fun event with some suspense! I remember our family traveling on Route 66.

KG5EYC and N1KX like this.
  12. N1KX

I got them all too, but had really hoped to get them all on CW. I also got 11 of them on CW, and honestly, I think that's all that ever came up. If I saw one spotted on CW, I worked it. So, for my sweep, I have a mixed bag of SSB, CW and FT8. I never heard W6D or W6I anywhere but FT8. Anyway, no tears were shed and many hours of enjoyment ensued.

I know this kind of event takes a lot of time and commitment from the ops that run each station and I appreciate all that they do to put this event on. It is one of the premier annual special events and it is a blast to work. It is so much fun listening for "This is RT66 on the air, Barstow, CA" and imagining sights and stops along the old Mother Road back in her heyday. The QSL cards are also very neat, with some nostalgic photos and designs taking you back to those days. Again, an extra fun event that has gotten better every year! Thanks Citrus Belt ARC and all the other sponsoring clubs and operators for another great year!

KG5EYC and KR3DX like this.
  13. N1KX

Thanks for those pictures! They're just the kinds of things I like to imagine while working these guys. Makes it so much fun. I drove a lot of old 66 during one of my military moves cross country about 30 years ago. I was on I-40 from OKC to Barstow before heading off to the northwest. As your photos show, there are still plenty of reminders of the old days!

KR3DX likes this.
  14. KO4CQ

KO4CQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the kind comments. I'm way behind in updating that Web site. We hope to drive at least part of Route 66 again, but NOT the part from San Bernadino to Santa Monica Pier.

KR3DX likes this.
  15. N9SOX

Enjoyed the event. Certainly didn't work em' all, but had a good time anyway. Look forward to working it again next year. Thanks to the op's for a tremendous effort.

KG5EYC and KR3DX like this.