Remembering a Silent Key. Name someone you miss.

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by KE0EYJ, Mar 16, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
  1. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

I miss Charlie Kluttz ,W4TMR Foy Flowers, W4FOY Bud Bost, K4AGO
    Just talking to Charlie was an education. He forgot more in his lifetime than I ever knew. Foy and I had many great conversations during my commutes home from work. My Uncle Bud was my Elmer before there was any such thing as an Elmer. It is because of Bud that I and my wife are both Ham Radio Operators. I love all of you guys. Rest in peace y'all. See ya soon. Oh, Charlie, get those antenna wires strung up from tree to tree in heaven. I'll want to make a few phone contacts when I get there. 73 de John K4AGO (I got my Uncle Bud's call sign when he became SK)

K2HAT likes this.
  2. WB4YZ

WB4YZ Ham Member QRZ Page

W4JKH KEN
    KG4LCW RALPH
    N4JPT ED

3. NH7RO

NH7RO Ham Member QRZ Page

W6OMF, Larry, Vacaville, CA My weak-signal VHF/UHF Elmer who passed on way too early in life
    KB6NAN, Diana, Pescadero, CA Six-meters gal Numero Uno; she always asked what my XYL was fixing for dinner every KH6>CA QSO
    W6ORS, Corky, Hilo, HI Fun guy to chat about antennas with and he stopped by the restaurant where I worked up on the volcano often.
    W6AAQ, Don Johnson, screwdriver antenna inventor and kind soul I was glad to have met
    W6CCP, Seymour (who in the world doesn't miss Seymour?)
    W5YU, Otto, Farmington, NM A true world-class 80M DX operator; SWL'd him for years before I was licensed.

Thinking of and remembering all of you in my daily life despite the passing of time.

A lasting 73,

Jeff

4. W6RBC

W6RBC Ham Member QRZ Page

W2JIL Frank, W2OCM Frank, W2SKE Bill, K2MIB Igor et al. At 82, I am about the only one left from the great ham friends when I was K2IEG in NY 1955-1998.

5. KX0Z

KX0Z Ham Member QRZ Page

W0NSW Milo "Mac" McNall probably the best Elmer I ever knew. Super nice and super smart. N0LLY Harold Eugene "Gene" Drybread, great guy always laughing. Ray N0KXL always had a great story to tell, worked lots of 10M FM with him around town..

6. W6CCW

W6CCW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

W6ARK Al Rovelli. Always making home brewed straight keys out of miscellaneous junk and poker chips to give away to his friends. Made some cool flame proof straight keys with the contacts inside of a small vertical pipe (in case you ever found yourself on board a ship). He even perfected home brewed bugs. That took a while. He said that it was difficult to get a piece of flat vibrating
    spring with just the right
    properties. Al served as ships radio operater in the 30's and 40's. He was a good friend and mentor and I
    think of him often. Al passed in 2002 at the age of 91.

7. KD5FOY

KD5FOY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Robert (Bob) E Blair, K5AY, friend, neighbor, Elmer, and CW operator extraordinaire.

8. K8JA

K8JA Ham Member QRZ Page

Dick Sloan W8EPD Long Time Friend

9. K8JA

K8JA Ham Member QRZ Page

Stag K8MKA and Rich K8III Long Time Friends....R.I.P.

10. N5MJ

N5MJ QRZ Lifetime Member Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Carl Martin, K0JHS, SK

Carl befriended a young, buzz-cut Airman (and freshly minted ham) who appeared on the 147.015 Aurora Repeater Club (ARA) repeater one Saturday in the summer of 1980, looking for directions to a Denver amateur radio store (at the time there were two, plus a Heathkit outlet store). Carl wasn't very active on the local repeaters, but for some reason, he took a liking to me, told me how to get to the store from Lowry AFB, then invited me over to his house, that he and his father had built by hand, for supper and radio time on his Kenwood TS-850 on a tribander (way better DX than my HW101 loading up the apartment window frame). Carl and I chatted up VHF and UHF, he even rejoined the ARA to help defray the maintenance costs of the repeaters we used, as that was his way. He challenged me to take (and pass) the Advanced and Extra class tests at the Denver FCC field office. The two of us built his HyGain HyTower, and the two of us pushed it up and got it on the air.

I remember how Carl and his xyl Sara would ride over the mountains on an early 70's BMW R70 touring bike that they had bought new. Just before one of their many weekend day trips, he called me and said "Mike, the BMW isn't running very smooth, and we're headed to Aspen, can you take a look at it?" Naturally, much to my wife's chagrin, I left the house (after half-pinning the baby's diaper) and drove over to find the R70 with it's original plugs and points still installed, along with the 73,000 original miles that he and Sara had put on the clock. We found the parts across town, and put the BMW right so they could make their trip. I wouldn't have trusted my work on anything but a Briggs and Stratton, but that was his way.

Much later, Carl found a way to check up on me while I was in Saudi Arabia for Desert Shield/Storm - via a MARSGRAM. Carl was a quiet, unassuming man of some letters, who worked at the Rocky Flats plant. He had a short list of friends, and it was an honor to be on that list. A casual repeater contact led to a long friendship, even from afar. Carl passed away in his 80s, Sara not long afterwards. I miss them both in this life, and look forward to seeing them again, but not too soon. Carl would get it.

73 Carl. CU agn.